email overload ?

Old June 26th 03, 11:28 PM
Icy

Default email overload ?

Hello all ,

Can anyone help with the following problem I'm having downloading my emails
..

I've been on holiday and when i synchronised to collect my mails , I've
found that I had 700 (bloody spammers) waiting for me .

But due to my 56k modem Icannot get them to fully download and every time
the computer stops downloading ( usually at 400 ) when I resynchronise it
starts at no: 1 again so i'm stuck in a vicious circle .

can anyone help ?

PS the isp is freeserve

Thanks
Glenn

Old June 26th 03, 11:32 PM
Bryan Anderson

On Thursday, "Icy" wrote:

I've been on holiday and when i synchronised to collect my mails ,
I've found that I had 700 (bloody spammers) waiting for me .

PS the isp is freeserve

http://fsmail.freeserve.com/

If Freeserve webmail is anything like other ISP's webmail, you'll be
able to read and delete them all on-line without downloading them to
your PC. Leave the ones that you DO want, then check your email as
normal and only those ones will be downloaded.

--
Bryan Anderson | www.bryananderson.co.uk
Old June 26th 03, 11:57 PM
Tim Auton

"Icy" wrote:
Can anyone help with the following problem I'm having downloading my emails

I've been on holiday and when i synchronised to collect my mails , I've
found that I had 700 (bloody spammers) waiting for me .

It depends on your email client, but you could set it to download just
the headers, then delete the messages which are obviously spam before
setting it back to download bodies as well.

Tim
Old June 27th 03, 12:00 AM
Adrian

Use Freeserve's web mail and delete them directly from the server. Then
when you syncronise, there are less e-mails to retrieve.

~ Adrian ~

Old June 27th 03, 12:26 AM
Amethyst

Adrian wrote:
Use Freeserve's web mail and delete them directly from the server. Then
when you syncronise, there are less e-mails to retrieve.

~ Adrian ~

Now this is why I like my DSL and Outlook 2003 and its fantastic junk
filter. It has a built in list of keywords which it checks against message
headers and deletes any email that matches two or more (depending on the
settings). Only once since installation have I lost a genuine email. I
consider that a pretty good record.

--
Cassandra
Card carrying member of the Fresh Start Club 'The Undead Are People Too!'

Reply address is fake. Please send all praise, abuse, insults, bequests
of £1million to cassandra (at) craigy34 (dot) freeserve (dot) co (dot)
uk. Change the obvious to the obvious.
Private requests for assistance will not be acknowledged. Please post all
correspondence to the group so that all may benefit. Thank you.

Old June 27th 03, 12:48 AM
tHatDudeUK

"Amethyst" wrote in message
Adrian wrote:
Use Freeserve's web mail and delete them directly from the server. Then
when you syncronise, there are less e-mails to retrieve.

~ Adrian ~

Now this is why I like my DSL and Outlook 2003

Shouldn't it be outlook 2004 considering it's gunna be released nearer the
end of this year?!

Either that or they could call it horny office to go along with the longhorn
theme...

Old June 27th 03, 04:01 AM
Ian Clark

.

I've been on holiday and when i synchronised to collect my mails , I've
found that I had 700 (bloody spammers) waiting for me .

But due to my 56k modem Icannot get them to fully download and every time
the computer stops downloading ( usually at 400 ) when I resynchronise it
starts at no: 1 again so i'm stuck in a vicious circle .

can anyone help ?

PS the isp is freeserve

http://www.kempston.demon.co.uk/smb

Download POP3 Scan Mail, Install it.
Then download the VB40032.dll file and extract that into \Windows\System32

Configure your account into POP3 Scan mail, hit connect. Delete the emails
you don't want.

Old June 27th 03, 12:14 PM
Amethyst

Jeremy Collins wrote:
Amethyst wrote:

Adrian wrote:

Use Freeserve's web mail and delete them directly from the server. Then
when you syncronise, there are less e-mails to retrieve.

~ Adrian ~

Now this is why I like my DSL and Outlook 2003 and its fantastic junk
filter. It has a built in list of keywords which it checks against

message
headers and deletes any email that matches two or more (depending on the
settings). Only once since installation have I lost a genuine email. I
consider that a pretty good record.

Don't want to start an advocacy war here, but I recommend you
take a look at Mozilla for email. The junk mail filtering is
Bayseian (i.e. statistical) rather than just making comparisons
to keywords. You spend some time "training" it to know what you
consider to be spam, and then it works brilliantly.

I've had ~100 spams since Monday, and have only had to manually
delete two or three.

Sorry use Outlook for work - need to keep to office protocol.

Old July 1st 03, 01:41 AM
Stacey

Amethyst wrote:

Adrian wrote:
Use Freeserve's web mail and delete them directly from the server. Then
when you syncronise, there are less e-mails to retrieve.

~ Adrian ~

Now this is why I like my DSL and Outlook 2003

Yep and most of the BIG e-mails I get are from virus infected outlook
users.. You do realize almost ALL e-mail clients have had filters for
years?
--

Stacey