M3A and ATAPI

Old June 22nd 11, 02:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Default M3A and ATAPI

Rhino wrote:

What's "the Performance plugin" and where can I find it?

If you look in Control Panels under Administrative Tools, there is
an option there called Performance. If you right click in the
graph pane, you can select Add Counters. I think the Delete key
can be used to delete the existing graphs. You'll also need
to scale the graphs, because the graph thing really isn't
all that smart. On my machine, setting the graph scale to
10000 gives 100MB/sec full scale on the graph. Since new
disks can hit 125MB/sec, I set the graph scale to 20000 so
the full scale is 200MB/sec. (The first time, I calibrated
against HDTune, so I could be sure of what it was measuring!)

Other graph types have different scaling requirements.
That's part of the fun of using it I guess.

If you go to Start : Run, you can type perfmon.msc and
run the plugin directly that way. That is a second way to
reach it.

The Add Counters thing has the counters in groups. The ones
for the disks are under "PhysicalDisk". I use things
like read bytes per second and write bytes per second and
select "total" as I'm too lazy to be more specific. Usually
during benchmarking, only one disk is doing the reading,
one disk the writing, and a total count is good enough.

The counter only detects certain kinds of operations. Some
operations "slide under the radar", so not every operation
gets counted. And yes, that can be a nuisance.

To give an example of things that slide under the radar, I
set up a RAMDisk on a computer, the RAMDisk claimed to be
offering "hard drive emulation", and yet reads and writes to
the disk didn't show in the Performance plugin at all. It's
possible that things like Paging operations aren't counted,
Some software paths don't seem to be hooked. So YMMV.

If a SATA hard drive had an issue, all you could do is
try another cable.

So I don't really need to worry about that then. I'll simply replace the
cable if I get symptoms that the cable is pinched. What symptoms would I
expect then? Writes to the hard drive taking much longer than usual? Or
actual error messages popping up? Or the Blue Screen of Death itself?

If you got a "Delayed Write" error, you might suspect something.
If the I/O rate had slipped into PIO mode, that might be
a sign as well. If you run HDTune and the graph is a flat line
at around 4MB/sec to 8MB/sec (when it should be 125MB/sec and
a curve), then you'd suspect PIO (and you got there, via CRC errors).

I don't have a recipe, like a checklist or anything.

Another note about SATA versus IDE. When you push the reset button
on the computer, the IDE disk should always be reset. There are
plenty of wires on the cable, so on the IDE ribbon, they had
a way to signal the reset condition. On SATA, I've actually had
a SATA drive stop communicating, and pressing the reset button
didn't bring it back. This is a violation of a basic hardware
design principle (in hardware design reviews at work, this is
one of the first items the reviewers ask about - does your reset
work).

I had to turn off computer power, to get the SATA disk to
re-initialize. So if you ever find yourself in a situation
where the SATA drive "stops talking", the reset button might
not help. But power cycling fixed it.

Sounds like optical burners need to start using the SATA approach ;-)

You can get SATA interface burners. I'm pretty slow at buying new
hardware, and I have a grand total of one SATA burner now. All the
rest I have are IDE. IDE is perfectly good, and I have no complaints.

I'm glad it gave you some clues about why it was misbehaving. Sometimes,
these computers don't give you very obvious clues at all about what's going
wrong on them.

I wasn't paying attention at first. I just started a burn like usual.
And then noticed Nero was claiming completion would be "some time
in the next century", and that's when I glanced at the drive LED and
noticed the strange pattern on the LED. Flipping open Device Manager,
I noticed the "Enhanced" USB entry was missing (USB2, 30MB/sec),
so then I had a possible answer. Benchmarking with one of the Nero
tools (InfoTool?) can show whether the transfer rate is "normal" or not,
like doing a read test on an existing burned disc.

The very fastest optical devices, like a Blu Ray burner running
at top speed (with non-existent top speed media), can approach 30MB/sec,
so even USB2 is getting close to being a limiting factor. But
I won't be burning Blu Ray any time soon, and in any case,
the quality of media I can buy at the store here, the chances
of finding a "top speed" kind of media are pretty slim. All I
get here for blanks, is junk. So the chances of me owning a USB
optical burner that runs flat out at 30MB/sec are pretty slim.

I remember a work computer I had once that kept crashing, probably a couple
of times a week at its worst. It was running OS/2 and when I'd call Help
Desk, they'd advise me to reinstall OS/2. After doing that several times, I
spoke to a technical guy I knew and described my symptoms. He said it
sounded like an I/O Controller issue - this was almost 20 years back so I
may be misremembering the name of the component - and he helped me arrange a
replacement of that component, which completely solved the problem. I was
still just transitioning to PCs at the time so I remember being very
surprised that PCs even had hardware issues; on mainframes, the issues were
almost always software. But it was a handy experience. Not too much later, I
started having some similar symptoms on my home computer and it turned out
to be a problem with the same component as the work computer; replacing that
component fixed my home PC too. But I'm darned if I can remember any obvious
symptoms on either computer that suggested that the I/O Controller had a
problem!

--
Rhino

I watched a tech working on the university mainframe, looking for a memory
problem, and it wasn't pretty. Going from cabinet to cabinet, flipping
doors open, probing stuff. The hardware in there looked like Spaghettios.
I think that machine may have had core memory.

Practically any DIMM I have in the house, would have a higher capacity
than all those cabinets holding cores. Think how easy it is, snapping
in a new DIMM, versus all those cabinets :-) On the plus side, if the power
went off, core memory saves state, so in that respect it is better than DRAM
in personal computers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_memory

I don't think they ever relied on the "saving state" property though for
that university mainframe. It's possible the machine was checkpointed on
its disk drives, and could roll back to the last checkpoint.

I have run into one other computing device, which relied on core memory,
and you could unplug it and it could pick up where it left off. And that
was before EEPROMs or Flash memory. Very convenient, but not very scalable
to large quantities of memory. The computing device in question, was
like a large scientific programmable calculator.

Paul
Old June 22nd 11, 05:54 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Rhino[_3_]

"Paul" wrote in message
Rhino wrote:

[...]

Thanks for clearing up what you meant about the Performance plugin. I
thought you were talking about something I had to download. I didn't realize
you meant a built-in Windows facility.

I found the Performance option and set it up as close to what you described
as I could but I'm getting a couple of issues.

I couldn't set the scale to 20,000; I had to choose between 10,000 and
100,000. I was going to ask how to set the scale to 20,000 but that is a
moot point since the Disk Write Bytes/Sec is a straight horizontal line at
the very top of the scale for _all_ values of scale from 10,000 on up!
(Average is 1.3 million, minimum is 262,000, and maximum is 4 million.) Disk
Read Bytes/Sec has a more normal graph but it's average is around 45,000
with a minimum of 0 and a maximum of 663,598. These numbers are a _lot_
higher than the ones you cited for your computer but I can't believe my
computer would be that much faster than yours. Something doesn't make sense
here....

By the way, I tracked down HD Tune and ran it on my C: drive. I got a
transfer rate minimum of 7.0 MB/sec; maximum of 96.1, average of 67.4.
Access time was 16.6 ms. Burst rate is 146.8 MB/sec. CPU usage is 7.5%. I
noticed that in the Health tab, the last benchmark given, C7, is Ultra DMA
CRC Error Count. I got a current value of 200, a worst of 200, threshold of
0, data of 0, and status of ok. 200 errors seems like a lot to me but
apparently isn't for HD Tune. Apparently, UDMA Mode 6 (Ultra ATA/133) is
both supported and active for the drive.

I also ran HD Tune of my D: drive. I got a transfer rate minimum of 52.1
MB/sec; maximum of 108.0, average of 84.5.4. Access time was 12.3 ms. Burst
rate is 157.2 MB/sec. CPU usage is 8.0%. For Ultra DMA CRC Error, I got a
current value of 200, a worst of 200, threshold of 0, data of 0, and status
of ok. I was surprised that the performance on the D: was significantly
better than the C: given that they are identical drives; I expected the
numbers to be much closer.

The counter only detects certain kinds of operations. Some
operations "slide under the radar", so not every operation
gets counted. And yes, that can be a nuisance.

To give an example of things that slide under the radar, I
set up a RAMDisk on a computer, the RAMDisk claimed to be
offering "hard drive emulation", and yet reads and writes to
the disk didn't show in the Performance plugin at all. It's
possible that things like Paging operations aren't counted,
Some software paths don't seem to be hooked. So YMMV.

Okay, fair enough.

[...]

The challenge is going to be remembering that when (and if) the time comes
;-) I'll probably remember that I once read something about a simple fix for
SATA drives but I won't remember the details and I won't remember to find
them....

[...]

I'm not going to rush out and buy the latest and greatest of everything
either ;-)

[...]

I expect that hardware issues _did_ affect mainframes from time to time.
After all, the term "bug" refers to actual insects that were found in some
of the earliest mainframes! But I don't remember ever encountering them in
my job. The programs we wrote would inevitably have errors and sometimes
there would be issues in the operating system. I still remember the system
dump I encountered the very first time I had to support a program on our
system. I was brand new and soon had to call for help from our lead
programmer. He looked it over for a while and finally called down to one of
the system programmers and confirmed that they'd put some kind of patch on
the night before; he persuaded the system programmer that it had messed up
our system. The patch was backed out and everything started working
correctly again. He'd seen a similar problem once before, 14 years
previously, and that was all he needed to get to the bottom of the problem.
But we never saw memory failures or drive crashes, although I expect they
happened occasionally and were handled by the operators.

Your wris****ch probably has more capacity than an old mainframe ;-)

Think how easy it is, snapping
in a new DIMM, versus all those cabinets :-) On the plus side, if the
power
went off, core memory saves state, so in that respect it is better than
DRAM
in personal computers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_memory

I don't think they ever relied on the "saving state" property though for
that university mainframe. It's possible the machine was checkpointed on
its disk drives, and could roll back to the last checkpoint.

I have run into one other computing device, which relied on core memory,
and you could unplug it and it could pick up where it left off. And that
was before EEPROMs or Flash memory. Very convenient, but not very scalable
to large quantities of memory. The computing device in question, was
like a large scientific programmable calculator.

When I was in my first job, the old-timers told us about a piece of hardware
they'd had in the 50s that was so big you could actually walk through it!
They'd give people tours and let them walk INSIDE that component. I can't
recall what the component was - a printer maybe or some form of storage
device - but there was a maintenance tunnel through the darned thing that
they'd let people walk through. Try to find any computer component made
since the 60s that you can walk through....

--
Rhino

Old June 22nd 11, 07:52 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Rhino wrote:

[...]

When I fire up the Performance plugin here, the default "Vertical Scale"
is listed as 0 to 100. The scale needed, may vary depending on what
counter you're using.

The SMART stats, I still don't understand them. I take a display like this

200 200 0 0

to mean the CRC error count was actually zero. Not all of the
statistics in SMART are raw counters. Some are processed numbers
and not "events".

UDMA6 Ultra133 is just a placeholder. You can see from your 146.8MB/sec
burst rate, that 133 cannot support 146. So the actual rate is faster
than the bogus labeling scheme. About the only thing consistent, is
Intel SATA ports wear a bogus label of UDMA5 (a tradition), while
other chipsets may bear a bogus label of UDMA6. But if you had SATA III
ports, they could do over 300MB/sec, well above UDMA6.

As a rough estimate, if your max was 96MB/sec (at the beginning of the disk),
then without measuring it, I'd expect the end of the disk to be around 48MB/sec.
About a 2:1 ratio. There is some room for variation. The disk could be
"short-stroked" for example, and the heads might not approach as close
to the hub of the spindle. The min value would then not have the 2:1
relationship.

When you see a spike downwards, that can be caused by a problem with the
program (execution priority), but it can also be caused by spared-out
sectors. To reach a spare sector, potentially takes head movement. Or,
to read a bad sector, might require retries. That can lead to spiking.
If you use HDTune when a disk is brand new, you might notice a difference
in the amount and number of downward spikes, after a year of using
the disk.

I've also had the opposite happen. A pretty crappy disk chart. Then,
I use the bad block scan option in HDTune, forcing some reads from
one end of the disk to the other. For some reason, subsequent disk
benchmark runs, weren't as spiky. That really shouldn't do anything,
because sparing is supposed to happen on writes, not on reads. Doing
a read scan shouldn't change things as far as I know.

These are some of my results, for comparison. I bought a couple
new ones of these, and they're more "spiky" than this. When I
compare to older disks (like the Maxtor I revived yesterday),
the old disks showed a nice, zoned curve, with very little spiking.
That could be a controller issue, making some of the noise evident,
or the actual number of spared out sectors is much larger
on the newer disks (more garbage to ride over).

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/8...scomposite.gif

I've had some results that looked dreadful, and it was an issue
with how the internal buses in the chipset were tuned. And whatever
setting was involved, I couldn't find a utility to check it. Fortunately,
only one motherboard does that, and the other ones I've got are OK.

Paul
Old June 22nd 11, 03:41 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Rhino[_3_]

"Paul" wrote in message
Rhino wrote:

[...]

and status of ok. I was surprised that the performance on the D: was
[...]

I played with the Performance graph a little and it seems that you can make
the range of values on the vertical axis anything you like but it doesn't
actually change the line that's drawn, just the labelling of the vertical
axis.

I right-clicked on the graph, chose Properties, went to the Graph tab and
changed the Vertical Scale so that Maximum was a million (instead of 100)
and Minimum stayed 0, applied, then cleared the graph and let it run for a
bit. The graph was completely unchanged in terms of the height of the spikes
and the low values were still at 0. Only the labels on the vertical axis
were different.

If I want the height of the spikes to be different, I need to change the
scale of the _counter_ by selecting a specific counter, right-clicking,
choosing Properties, and then choosing a different value for scale. When I
did that and lowered the scale value from 10000000 to 1, the height of the
spikes was suddenly much lower. The numbers in the Last, Average, Minimum,
Maximum, and Duration boxes still had the same magnitude as they had before
I touched the scales of the individual counters.

Well, I'm not going to flog this to death. As far as I can tell, my hard
drives are working just fine so I'm going to follow the First Rule of Tech
Support: "If it works, don't fix it."

I appreciate all the help and information, Paul. I hope I run into you or
someone like you when and if I have a real problem somewhere down the road!

--
Rhino

Old June 23rd 11, 05:57 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Nobody > (Revisited)

On 6/21/2011 9:54 PM, Rhino wrote:

When I was in my first job, the old-timers told us about a piece of hardware
they'd had in the 50s that was so big you could actually walk through it!
They'd give people tours and let them walk INSIDE that component. I can't
recall what the component was - a printer maybe or some form of storage
device - but there was a maintenance tunnel through the darned thing that
they'd let people walk through. Try to find any computer component made
since the 60s that you can walk through....

Sounds like the old USAF Air Defense Command's SAGE system
(Semi-Automatic Ground Environment).

It was all tubes, with aisles between racks so the maintenance crews
could do mass retubes. Some of them had big enough cross-aisles that you
could drive a pickup thru.

They were still in use up thru 1972 or so.

--
"**** this is it, all the pieces do fit.
We're like that crazy old man jumping
Old June 24th 11, 12:20 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Rhino[_3_]

"Nobody (Revisited)" wrote in message
On 6/21/2011 9:54 PM, Rhino wrote:

When I was in my first job, the old-timers told us about a piece of
hardware
they'd had in the 50s that was so big you could actually walk through it!
They'd give people tours and let them walk INSIDE that component. I can't
recall what the component was - a printer maybe or some form of storage
device - but there was a maintenance tunnel through the darned thing that
they'd let people walk through. Try to find any computer component made
since the 60s that you can walk through....

Sounds like the old USAF Air Defense Command's SAGE system
(Semi-Automatic Ground Environment).

It was all tubes, with aisles between racks so the maintenance crews could
do mass retubes. Some of them had big enough cross-aisles that you could
drive a pickup thru.

They were still in use up thru 1972 or so.

You haven't said what SAGE actually did but I doubt that was what the device
our oldtimers were talking about; I was working for an insurance company at
the time. The device they told me about might have been a printer or a
storage device of some kind but nothing in the way of a defensive or
offensive weapon system ;-)

But SAGE may have been made by the same people who made the device I was
told about and utilized the same style of maintenance access for all I
know....
--
Rhino

M3A Drivers Rhino[_2_] Asus Motherboards 4 February 8th 09 10:20 PM
M3A Behaviour Murray McNeill[_4_] Asus Motherboards 3 October 2nd 08 01:06 AM
NB voltage on M3A Rich[_13_] Asus Motherboards 5 August 7th 08 01:50 AM
M3A-H/HDMI ROB Asus Motherboards 12 May 25th 08 01:03 PM
M3A and Fedora Philip Wright Asus Motherboards 0 May 16th 08 01:30 AM