I NOW OFFICIALY HATE AMD

Old May 26th 11, 09:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
[email protected][_2_]

Default I NOW OFFICIALY HATE AMD

On May 20, 2:07*am, "Skybuck Flying" wrote:
I check AMD X2 3800+ Manual that was deliver with my BOXED AMD X2 3800+
processor.

The manual mentions nothing about the stock cpu cooler and it's fan.

IT'S NOW OFFICIAL:

I HATE AMD AND I WILL NEVER BUY A PROCESSOR FROM THEM EVER AGAIN !
(AND YOU CAN SHOVE YOUR FOKKING USELESS STREAM/GRAPHICS CRAP UP YOUR ASS
TOO)

To other PROCESSOR MANUFACTURERS:

WHEN I BUY A PROCESSOR, HEATSINK AND FAN:

I EXPECT FULL SPECIFICATIONS IN THE MANUAL FAILURE WILL LEAD TO BAN FOR
EVER.

Goodbye,
* Skybuck.

Back in the day, you could buy true OEM AMD CPUs. Now you are stuck
buying their crappy fan and a CPU. I just give the fan away. I'm sure
big companies can get around this, but not the home computer builder.

You can see AMDs point. People were probably frying CPUs due to an
incorrect fan and then trying to get their money back. So AMD supplies
a minimal fan so at least the CPU won't become toast.
Old May 26th 11, 10:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Joel Koltner

wrote in message
Back in the day, you could buy true OEM AMD CPUs. Now you are stuck
buying their crappy fan and a CPU. I just give the fan away. I'm sure
big companies can get around this, but not the home computer builder.

Newegg will still sell you a few (but not most) AMD CPU models "bare" (no fan
included), but I expect your reasoning is correct -- for the few dollars saved
by not including a fan, it probably resulted in a lot of hassles with people
who fried the things.

Old May 27th 11, 03:04 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Nobody > (Revisited)

On 5/26/2011 1:55 PM, wrote:

Back in the day, you could buy true OEM AMD CPUs. Now you are stuck
buying their crappy fan and a CPU. I just give the fan away. I'm sure
big companies can get around this, but not the home computer builder.

You can see AMDs point. People were probably frying CPUs due to an
incorrect fan and then trying to get their money back. So AMD supplies
a minimal fan so at least the CPU won't become toast.

There are still ways of buying "OEM" (fanless) AMD CPUs, but there's not
much price advantage, and an even worse warranty issue.

OEM cpus (don't matter if AMD or Intel) at best carry a 90-day
warrantee. "Boxed Product" usually gives you at least a year.

Typically, all you save on $ is $10-20 (USD) by going the OEM route.

As for the cooler fan on "Boxed Product" AMD or Intel, they do work.
Often they are noise-y . So be it. I've yet to have any "quibbles" over
replacing a crap HSF with a "known-good" HSF on the few hassles on "not
the stock crap.

--
"**** this is it, all the pieces do fit.
We're like that crazy old man jumping
Old May 27th 11, 05:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,sci.electronics.design
Sum Ting Wong

On Thu, 26 May 2011 14:03:46 -0700, "Joel Koltner"
wrote:

wrote in message
Back in the day, you could buy true OEM AMD CPUs. Now you are stuck
buying their crappy fan and a CPU. I just give the fan away. I'm sure
big companies can get around this, but not the home computer builder.

Newegg will still sell you a few (but not most) AMD CPU models "bare" (no fan
included), but I expect your reasoning is correct -- for the few dollars saved
by not including a fan, it probably resulted in a lot of hassles with people
who fried the things.

Absolutely. Those first series AMD X2 64 class processors (socket 939)
were the epitome of Lesson Number 1 of heat source to heat sink mating
REQUIREMENTS.

You only get about 6 seconds before it fries. The earlier stuff (pre
x64) was even worse, and the fail would also carry through and fry your
MOBO too.
Old May 27th 11, 06:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,sci.electronics.design
[email protected][_2_]

wrote:
wrote in message
Back in the day, you could buy true OEM AMD CPUs. Now you are stuck
buying their crappy fan and a CPU. I just give the fan away. I'm sure
big companies can get around this, but not the home computer builder.

Newegg will still sell you a few (but not most) AMD CPU models "bare" (no fan
included), but I expect your reasoning is correct -- for the few dollars saved
by not including a fan, it probably resulted in a lot of hassles with people
who fried the things.

* Absolutely. Those first series AMD X2 64 class processors (socket 939)
were the epitome of Lesson Number 1 of heat source to heat sink mating
REQUIREMENTS.

* You only get about 6 seconds before it fries. *The earlier stuff (pre
x64) was even worse, and the fail would also carry through and fry your
MOBO too.

One of the really early AMD CPUs was shipped in a manner where the
heat of the CPU was used to melt the heat sink compound. You build
enough systems and it all becomes a blur, but I'm sure it predated the
939. That is the heat sink compound was supplied "dry" so to speak,
and it got mushed when you fired up the CPU.

I think the 939s I built came with the heat sink, though I put
Zalman's on the them rather than the free heat sink. I take that
back. I originally use Gigabyte "rocket" fans, but one failed, so I
went Zalman. It was a lot of work since the Zalman required the mobo
to be pulled from the case.

I'm patiently waiting for the AMD bulldozers to come out.

Both mobos suffered from crappy Chinese cap syndrome, though it took a
few years for the caps to pop. That leaves me with two 939 CPUs and
not a mobo to be found.

Old May 27th 11, 03:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

"
That leaves me with two 939 CPUs and not a mobo to be found.
"

ASRock has a 939 "mobo"... I have one in my DreamPC right now... so far it's
working ! =D

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old May 27th 11, 09:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,sci.electronics.design
[email protected][_2_]

On May 27, 7:26*am, "Skybuck Flying" wrote:
"
That leaves me with two 939 CPUs and not a mobo to be found.
"

ASRock has a 939 "mobo"... I have one in my DreamPC right now... so far it's
working ! =D

Bye,
* Skybuck.

Why would anyone sell a 939 mobo in 2011?

I'll go look to see if it is being sold, but you have to wonder why
bother. I built a quad core AMD for a server that still runs (used to
be linux, but I had to put the win7 drives on it after the 939 mobo
blew). At some point, running old PCs gets silly if you use them a
lot.

I'm going to attempt to set up the bulldozer with Xen virtualization.
Assuming the bulldozer has an IOMMU, I should be able to have full
hardware control. You may bitch about AMD, but you need to buy a
server grade CPU from intel to get an IOMMU, while some consumer grade
mobos from AMD have this feature.

I'm told Xen is the most efficient virtualization scheme, but also the
hardest to implement.

Regarding graphic frame rates, the GPU has the most influence. I use
ATI cards mostly, which is also AMD. You may hate AMD, I like them.
OK, I'm not particularly thrilled with the orange colored partitions
they use (used?) at AMD HQ.
Old May 28th 11, 02:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,sci.electronics.design
FatBytestard[_2_]

On Fri, 27 May 2011 13:30:18 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Why would anyone sell a 939 mobo in 2011?

Service items for folks that have "dedicated" ROM programmers, etc., and
want to replace the MOBO and MIRROR the HD so, the OS will want to see
the same hardware.

Happens all the time.

Replace what is broke with the exact same item, and keep rolling.

Buy new, and there are program installs, license set-ups... all kinds
of things to perhaps have concerns over.

ebay has quite a few of my Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe 939.

http://tinyurl.com/3uogvpl

They sell too. D'oh!
Old May 28th 11, 02:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,sci.electronics.design
FatBytestard[_2_]

wrote:

Regarding graphic frame rates, the GPU has the most influence. I use
ATI cards mostly, which is also AMD. You may hate AMD, I like them.
OK, I'm not particularly thrilled with the orange colored partitions
they use (used?) at AMD HQ.

You're an idiot to allow such idiosyncratic horse**** influence your
life so much.
Old May 28th 11, 02:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

wrote in message
On May 27, 7:26 am, "Skybuck Flying" wrote:
"
That leaves me with two 939 CPUs and not a mobo to be found.
"

ASRock has a 939 "mobo"... I have one in my DreamPC right now... so far
it's
working ! =D

Bye,
Skybuck.

"
Why would anyone sell a 939 mobo in 2011?
"

A few simple reasons come to mind:

1. Many hot Socket 939 processors where sold and burned/killed motherboards.

2. Perhaps most Socket 939 had bad capacitators.

3. Perhaps many people in the world still have "ungrounded" power wall
sockets which could lead to "motherboard shock death" when connecting other
devices, thus needing new motherboards.

"I'll go look to see if it is being sold,"

All webstores in the Netherlands seem to have and sell them, so I would say
they being sold like warm bread

(Added benefit 7-in-1 flash card reader device seems to work just nicely, so
perhaps better support for 2006 technology and beyond, perhaps also better
drivers/support for operating systems via driver cd).

"but you have to wonder why bother. "

To save a lot of money on other components like processor, heatsink, memory,
power supply, pretty much everything.

Also to have a somewhat older system to test backwards compatibility
(Interesting for programmers I would think perhaps other people too)

"
I built a quad core AMD for a server that still runs (used to
be linux, but I had to put the win7 drives on it after the 939 mobo
blew).
"

The mobo blew ?!? Well there ya go ?! How come ?!

"
At some point, running old PCs gets silly if you use them a
lot.
"

Socket 939 isn't that old, it's still pretty modern for desktop usage at
least.

"
I'm going to attempt to set up the bulldozer with Xen virtualization.
"

I have no experience with xen virtualization.

I would guess it's something like VMWare or virtual PC.

Xen I think I have heard of it... perhaps it's for Linux which you
mentioned.

"
Assuming the bulldozer has an IOMMU,
"

I don't know what this is... perhaps I will look it up

Probably has something to do with I/O acceleration for virtualization ?

" I should be able to have full hardware control. "

Sounds like direct hardware access for virtualized environments

Not really virtual is it then ?!

"
You may bitch about AMD, but you need to buy a
server grade CPU from intel to get an IOMMU, while some consumer grade
mobos from AMD have this feature.
"

Hmmm could be interesting, perhaps I will look into it further

"
I'm told Xen is the most efficient virtualization scheme, but also the
hardest to implement.
"

Yeah why don't you simply stick with something easy like VMWare or VirtualPC
or perhaps even "boot into vhd" a new windows 7 feature (still buggy perhaps
but it's getting there !) (vhd=virtual harddisk)

"
Regarding graphic frame rates, the GPU has the most influence. I use
ATI cards mostly, which is also AMD.
"

"You may hate AMD, I like them."

Hmm... I just hated them a little bit because of no specifications for
either chip or fan ! That sucks... their manual only explains how to install
it and nothing more ! BAH ! And there website might suck as well... hard to
find this information on it... especially on a somewhat older system !

Their website search function is also not much help it seems.

It finds weird/crappy documents/articles or something.

Instead of nice PDF specs or something yeah.

"
OK, I'm not particularly thrilled with the orange colored partitions
they use (used?) at AMD HQ."

??? "file system partitions" "building/room partitions" ?

Who the fok gives a fok about their HQ ?!? LOL.

You work there ?! LOL. Or in the neighbourhood ?!

Anyway show us a picture link... could be fun to look it !

Bye,
Skybuck =D

I NOW OFFICIALY HATE AMD Skybuck Flying[_2_] Homebuilt PC's 59 June 2nd 11 06:00 PM
I hate... Mr. Brian Allen Nvidia Videocards 13 March 27th 05 05:12 PM
people i hate Me General Hardware 0 September 3rd 04 01:55 PM
people i hate Me General Hardware 0 September 3rd 04 01:51 PM
I Hate LGA Dennis E Strausser Jr Overclocking 1 July 10th 04 03:55 PM