Lightning damage to USB drives?

Old January 23rd 07, 03:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.repair
John Doe

Default Lightning damage to USB drives?

Anybody know of a USB flash drive being damaged during a typical
electrical storm or whatever other common electricity surge? (I'm not
talking about a lightning strike close enough to destroy the whole
computer.)

I'm wondering about the possibility that a hard drive and a USB flash
drive could be destroyed at the same time, given the flash drive is
always attached to the USB port, and whether that has in fact ever
happened.

Thank you.

Old January 23rd 07, 05:06 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.repair
Rod Speed

John Doe wrote:

Anybody know of a USB flash drive being damaged
during a typical electrical storm or whatever other
common electricity surge? (I'm not talking about a
lightning strike close enough to destroy the whole computer.)

I'm wondering about the possibility that a hard drive and
a USB flash drive could be destroyed at the same time,
given the flash drive is always attached to the USB port,

It can happen if the lightning strike kills the power
supply and massively over voltages the 5V rail.

It would be safer to put the flash drive on a powered USB hub.

and whether that has in fact ever happened.

Old January 23rd 07, 06:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy

It would be safer to put the flash drive on a powered USB hub.

Just wondering Rod, how'd you come to that conclusion? More than likely the
usb hub will be plugged into the same electrical source as the PC and
therefore also be effected by the by the power surge. Would it not?

- Mike

Old January 23rd 07, 06:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.repair
JAD

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
. ..
It would be safer to put the flash drive on a powered USB hub.

Just wondering Rod, how'd you come to that conclusion? More than likely
the usb hub will be plugged into the same electrical source as the PC and
therefore also be effected by the by the power surge. Would it not?

- Mike

Wall warts have pretty good safety measures.

Old January 23rd 07, 06:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.repair
Geoff

I had a lightning strike near the house and it blew out several things in
four houses total, mine got the worse of it.

However, my computer was on a UPS and the network connection went to a
router then to the modem.

The UPS, cable modem, and router were fried (along with other things in the
house) but the computer itself was unaffected.

So, I doubt a normal electrical storm, etc. would blow out a drive or USB
drive.

-g

Old January 23rd 07, 06:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy

Just wondering Rod, how'd you come to that conclusion? More than likely
the usb hub will be plugged into the same electrical source as the PC and
therefore also be effected by the by the power surge. Would it not?

- Mike

Wall warts have pretty good safety measures.

And computer SMPS dont?

Old January 23rd 07, 09:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.repair
Rod Speed

Michael Kennedy wrote:
Rod Speed wrote
John Doe wrote

Anybody know of a USB flash drive being damaged
during a typical electrical storm or whatever other
common electricity surge? (I'm not talking about a
lightning strike close enough to destroy the whole computer.)

I'm wondering about the possibility that a hard drive and
a USB flash drive could be destroyed at the same time,
given the flash drive is always attached to the USB port,

It can happen if the lightning strike kills the power
supply and massively over voltages the 5V rail.

It would be safer to put the flash drive on a powered USB hub.

Just wondering Rod, how'd you come to that conclusion?

For the reason I mentioned in the quoting you snipped and I have restored.

More than likely the usb hub will be plugged into the same electrical source as the PC

Yes.

and therefore also be effected by the by the power surge.

Nope, not when its a simple wall wart plug pack for the powered hub.

Would it not?

Fraid not.

Old January 23rd 07, 09:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.repair
Rod Speed

Michael Kennedy wrote:

Just wondering Rod, how'd you come to that conclusion? More than
likely the usb hub will be plugged into the same electrical source
as the PC and therefore also be effected by the by the power surge.
Would it not?

Wall warts have pretty good safety measures.

And computer SMPS dont?

Nope, quite a few of the cheap ones die very spectacularly
indeed, over voltaging what is powered from them.

Transformer based wall warts are much less likely to be
damaged by the sort of lightning damage he was asking about.

Old January 23rd 07, 09:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.repair
Rod Speed

me wrote:
"JAD" wrote in
:

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
. ..
It would be safer to put the flash drive on a powered USB hub.

Just wondering Rod, how'd you come to that conclusion? More than
likely the usb hub will be plugged into the same electrical source
as the PC and therefore also be effected by the by the power surge.
Would it not?

- Mike

Wall warts have pretty good safety measures.

not!

Corse the transformer base wall warts do with the sort of lightining
damage that was asked about, just due to the transformer alone.