So what if thermal compound spreads?

Old April 13th 04, 08:43 PM
Shep©

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 11:35:29 +0100 As truth resonates honesty Piotr
Makley wrote :

Shep© wrote:

I can believe it.There's lot's of Hype about.
I bought this cooler for my O/C AMD XP 1800,
MicroFlow2 SPA07B2 (Skt A)
http://tinyurl.com/ybtn

look at the price

and it came with it's own tube of,"Artic" silver.So the whole
kit-and-kaboodle was actually less than the cost one tube
of,"Genuine","Artic Silver".

Nope.It doesn't claim to be,"Artic silver" and I think you have missed
some of the point of my post.It doesn't matter as Arctic Silver is not
worth the money IMHO.

Was the lableeing on the tube "Arctic Silver" or was it cliamed to
be Arctic Silver?

Even under my heaviest gaming loads it rarely goes above 40
Deg C and trust me I give my system,"Hammer".
I did polish the bottom of the HS but the copper centre really
does the biz anyway.

As we speak Idle temps are,

37 Deg C

Running @ 143/143

As summer comes I expect it to hit 50 Deg C,but then that's
nowt for an AMD and the ting is near silent as well

This has to be the bargain of the year IMNSHO :P

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de
Old April 13th 04, 09:50 PM
kony

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 19:04:33 GMT, JT wrote:

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 17:52:05 +0100, Conor wrote:

In article m,
says...

Simple experiment. Take a clean, shiny sheet of copper or brass. Make sure
it is clean. Use alcohol or the cleaner of your choice to ensure it is oil
free and clean. Now take your nice clean finger and touch the center of the
metal. Leave this metal somewhere that it won't be disturbed for a couple
weeks. See the discoloration? That is corrosion.

Now lets make it a proper comparison by adding a heat source for
prolonged periods of time.

Do it. You will see the corrosion happens faster.

The point was contaminants like skin oil may also cause corrosion which
should be avoided.

That was the point, but the degree to which the corrosion occurs, IF it
occurs at all to a greater extent because of the application method, and
whether that minor, perhaps even undetectable corrosion is significant to
the heat transfer efficiency, is another matter.

It's a nice theory but not backed up by real-world evidence. People have
been putting on compound with fingers for years, with no observable
corrosion after several years of contact. On the contrary, the portion of
the 'sink contacting the CPU still looks practially like new while that
which is exposed to air but not the finger, is the only portion showing
oxidation or corrosion.
Old April 14th 04, 02:07 AM
Queve Tientoo

"Matt" wrote in message
| Piotr Makley wrote:
| "QBall" wrote:
|
| Anyway, the addition of a
| microscopic quantity of skin oil makes no difference
| whatsoever.
|

| But why do people seem to worry about it?
|
| The Arctic Silver people preserve their products' mystique by requiring
| the user to jump through hoops that are about as relevant as the phase
| of the moon and how you hold your mouth. That way the user feels guilty
| if he doesn't achieve the promised super-duper temperature improvement.
|
| One of their instructions that I took seriously is that excess compound
| between chip leads can cause capacitance problems. Next time I will buy
| a low-capacitance (low dielectric) thermal compound.

Better yet, don't use any, just to see what happens. (I'd try it on a cheap
duron, just to see.....)

Old April 14th 04, 02:12 AM
Queve Tientoo

"half_pint" wrote in message

| "CrackerJack" wrote in message
| What exactly is the problem if too much cpu compound is put on the
| core and it gets squashed out onto the surrounding area?
|
| Apart from looking messy, is there any real problem with this?
|
| Prehaps this thread should be retitled "Much ado about nothing"?

I've never seen so many get so worked up about a little gob of goo

Old April 14th 04, 02:51 AM
half_pint

"Queve Tientoo" wrote in message

"half_pint" wrote in message

| "CrackerJack" wrote in message
| What exactly is the problem if too much cpu compound is put on the
| core and it gets squashed out onto the surrounding area?
|
| Apart from looking messy, is there any real problem with this?
|
| Prehaps this thread should be retitled "Much ado about nothing"?

I've never seen so many get so worked up about a little gob of goo

Well its obviously a *hot* topic :OD

Old April 14th 04, 03:48 AM
Matt

half_pint wrote:
"CrackerJack" wrote in message

What exactly is the problem if too much cpu compound is put on the
core and it gets squashed out onto the surrounding area?

Apart from looking messy, is there any real problem with this?

Prehaps this thread should be retitled "Much ado about nothing"?

Hey, don't spoil the fun. This is the most excitement we've had in this
group in the last month.

Old April 14th 04, 05:18 AM
beav AT wn DoT com DoT au

Queve Tientoo wrote:

"half_pint" wrote in message

| "CrackerJack" wrote in message
| What exactly is the problem if too much cpu compound is put on the
| core and it gets squashed out onto the surrounding area?
|
| Apart from looking messy, is there any real problem with this?
|
| Prehaps this thread should be retitled "Much ado about nothing"?

I've never seen so many get so worked up about a little gob of goo

Impressive, isn't it?

--
-Luke-
If cars had advanced at the same rate as Micr0$oft technology, they'd be
Old April 14th 04, 06:09 AM
Yoyoma_2

beav AT wn DoT com DoT au wrote:
Queve Tientoo wrote:

"half_pint" wrote in message

| "CrackerJack" wrote in message
| What exactly is the problem if too much cpu compound is put on the
| core and it gets squashed out onto the surrounding area?
|
| Apart from looking messy, is there any real problem with this?
|
| Prehaps this thread should be retitled "Much ado about nothing"?

I've never seen so many get so worked up about a little gob of goo

Impressive, isn't it?

I'me this close |----| to e-mailing a couple poeple at AMD and seeing
what there replies are. (Who knows maby it will start a huge debate
there LOL).

My personal oppinion is that goo is better than air/dust so why not goob
it up! And you shouldn't be touching the top of the chip too (with or
without oil) because you don't want to do some static discharge by
accident. Side of chip, goob to 70% of the surface and enjoy!

What is essential is that the core is hot. But temperature might
decrease conductivity on the pins and the gold filaments within the IC
(from the core to the pins) so why not keep them cool too? Probably
contribute better to total motherboard cooling if you have a good
Motherboard-CPU BODY-GOOB-HeatSynch transfer, not just bothering with
CPU CORE-Goob-Heatsynch.

Anyway thats my 0.02 CAD.
Old April 15th 04, 06:17 AM
Stacey

Matt wrote:

One of their instructions that I took seriously is that excess compound
between chip leads can cause capacitance problems. Next time I will buy
a low-capacitance (low dielectric) thermal compound.

That's what's insane about using that stuff, it's conductive!

--

Stacey
Old April 15th 04, 06:21 AM
Stacey

Paul Hopwood wrote:

"Queve Tientoo" wrote:

No matter how much you put on, the excess will get squeezed
out buy the pressure from the HS hold down clip, your layer will always
end up the same thickness. I have removed several and the "layer" looks
the same on both the carefully applied with no squizz-out and the sloppy
with heavy squizz.

If too much is applied the excess won't be squeezed out.

If the excess isn't squeezed out either the compound you're using is too
"thick" in vicosity (never used any of that expencive metalic/conducitive
stuff) or the clamp isn't strong enough for the application.

--

Stacey