How long do you expect your SAN hardware to last?

Old October 23rd 06, 01:30 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Guy Dawson

Default How long do you expect your SAN hardware to last?

We're looking to buy a SAN having previously used HP Proliant servers
with internal storage. We're doing this primarly for the higher levels
of resilience offered by SANs.

Our last two servers were ML530s with space for 14 drives. We've
been in the habit of keeping each ML530 in service for 3 years before
replacing it and using the old server for less critical tasks.

For a given amount of storage SANs are considerably more expensive than
storage internal to a server.

Is there a common view (!) of how long a SAN can be expected to be in
a production environment? We expect it be at least 3 years, but is 5
or 6 unreasonable?

TIA!

Guy
-- --------------------------------------------------------------------
Guy Dawson I.T. Manager Crossflight Ltd

Old October 23rd 06, 03:06 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Neil Jowsey

5 years is reasonable if you agree the maintenance in advance. Year 6 may
be hard to get maintenance on, and the price may (will?) be crippling!

N.

Guy Dawson wrote in news:ehicld$85j$1
:

Old October 23rd 06, 06:50 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Ole Thomsen

"Guy Dawson" wrote in message

Is there a common view (!) of how long a SAN can be expected to be in
a production environment? We expect it be at least 3 years, but is 5
or 6 unreasonable?

Hardware and technology probably lasts more than 3 years, but other factors
may interfere.

We had an HP EVA3000 for 3 years, and my plan was to use it for another 3.

To my surprise the extra cost for service and support in that period was
exactly the same as the price of a brand new EVA4000 (3 years service
included), when reusing the old shelves and disks. Even got additional 8
disks as they were included in the package :-)

Ole Thomsen

Old October 25th 06, 03:59 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Guy Dawson

Yesterday I asked a bidder (HDS with an AMS200) just this question.

They said:

models usually have a 3 year sales life during which they're considered
current
followed by a 5 year upgrade and support period when you can upgrade the
unit (ie add extra capacity) and get support
followed by a 2 year support period when you can set support but not
upgrades

Of course, as Neil and Ole both mention, support could be expensive!

Guy
Guy Dawson I.T. Manager Crossflight Ltd