3500+ or 3400+ for gaming....or FX-53?

Old July 16th 04, 07:54 PM
trichard

Default 3500+ or 3400+ for gaming....or FX-53?

Hi,

Hoping someone here can help point me in the right direction. I am
considering one of the following AMD processors for my new system.

754pin 3400+ Newcastle @ 2.4GHz and 512MB L2
939pin 3500+ Newcastle @ 2.2GHz and 512MB L2

So I have two questions:

1.) I am curious from a gaming perspective which option would offer
better performance? Price difference (mobo + CPU) is about $140 more
for the 939 pin solution.

2.) Would there be a great performance increase and/or benefit if I
just decided to go with an FX-53 939pin? Cost on the FX-53 would be
about $500 more total than the 754 pin option.

I don't wish to upgrade my system again for 12-18 months. FYI...I have
already allocated funds for a 6800GT or X800 XT PE regardless of which
processor I get. Thus, there is no need to save XXX amount of money on
CPU to redirect to video card, etc.

Thanks for any feedback or suggestions...

trichard

Old July 16th 04, 07:56 PM
trichard

One more tidbit:

I will NOT be overclocking this system.

Thanks.

Old July 17th 04, 02:44 AM
Michael Brown

trichard wrote:
Hi,

Hoping someone here can help point me in the right direction. I am
considering one of the following AMD processors for my new system.

754pin 3400+ Newcastle @ 2.4GHz and 512MB L2
939pin 3500+ Newcastle @ 2.2GHz and 512MB L2

So I have two questions:

1.) I am curious from a gaming perspective which option would offer
better performance? Price difference (mobo + CPU) is about $140 more
for the 939 pin solution.

Definately the 939 (performance-wise). For a bit of an idea how it does in
games, check out
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/2004...et_939-19.html

Note that the MSI board used in the review was still under development,
which explains why it gets lower scores than the ASUS. The 939 will probably
give you a 3% to 4% boots in games, which is (incidentally enough) about the
difference between 3500 and 3400 It's up to you to decide whether the
expra performance is worth the extra cash. One other thing to consider is
that the socket 754 upgrade path ends at 3700. There's nothing roadmapped in
beyond that, and the 3700 is really hamstrung (compared to even slower CPUs
on 939) by the lack of dual-channel memory. Also, dual-cores are
(supposedly) supposed to be in S939 and S940, but not S754. So, if you're
planning to drop a faster or dual-core CPU in sometime in the future, S939
is the way to go.

2.) Would there be a great performance increase and/or benefit if I
just decided to go with an FX-53 939pin? Cost on the FX-53 would be
about $500 more total than the 754 pin option.

Not worth it, IMO. It's a lot more money for a fairly small performance
gain. You'd get about 1% more than the 3500, and about 4% to 5% more than
the 3400.

[...]

--
Michael Brown
www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more

Old July 17th 04, 02:53 AM
Courseyauto

trichard wrote:
Hi,

Hoping someone here can help point me in the right direction. I am
considering one of the following AMD processors for my new system.

754pin 3400+ Newcastle @ 2.4GHz and 512MB L2
939pin 3500+ Newcastle @ 2.2GHz and 512MB L2

So I have two questions:

1.) I am curious from a gaming perspective which option would offer
better performance? Price difference (mobo + CPU) is about $140 more
for the 939 pin solution.

There is a new 939 pin 90nm 3500 athlon 64 coming out this 3rd quarter that
will be a 3 to 5% improvment on the939 pin 130nm 3500 athlon 64 they have now.
It will have an improved memory controller and other improvments. The 939 is
the way to go. heres a link to the info.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/modules...s&file=article
&sid=694&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0
Old July 17th 04, 02:54 AM
Geoff

trichard wrote:
Hi,

Hoping someone here can help point me in the right direction. I am
considering one of the following AMD processors for my new system.

754pin 3400+ Newcastle @ 2.4GHz and 512MB L2
939pin 3500+ Newcastle @ 2.2GHz and 512MB L2

the xp3500 is better
just waiting for a good chip to go with em, and the price to come down
somewhat.....

Old July 18th 04, 09:24 PM
flossie

"trichard" wrote in message
Hi,

Hoping someone here can help point me in the right direction. I am
considering one of the following AMD processors for my new system.

754pin 3400+ Newcastle @ 2.4GHz and 512MB L2
939pin 3500+ Newcastle @ 2.2GHz and 512MB L2

Don`t you mean 512k L2 cache ?

Old July 19th 04, 03:47 AM
trichard

flossie wrote:

Don`t you mean 512k L2 cache ?

Yes. That was a typo. Sorry.
Old July 19th 04, 04:14 PM
flossie

"trichard" wrote in message
flossie wrote:

Don`t you mean 512k L2 cache ?

Yes. That was a typo. Sorry.

I was unsure if they had increased it....