3700+ can barely touch 2.5Ghz

Old June 14th 06, 02:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

Default 3700+ can barely touch 2.5Ghz

"Hopeful" wrote in message

Ed Light wrote:
My Winnie at 2.4 and 1.45v idles at 27C. I would say, yes, you have
cooling problems. I really wouldn't want to get over 50C, ever.

Now that room temperature has dropped to a more "normal" 22C system is
idling at around 46c and under load its reaching about 54c.

If you can get those sort of temperatures (I presume your using air
cooling?) on a processor model which supposedly runs hotter than mine then
it indeed sounds like I have cooling issues .

Going to have to take off this 9500LED and check its not one of the warped
ones, because if this isnt touching at centre of the die it may go some
way to explaining my p**s poor results. All I'm looking for is 2.6Ghz,
anything else is a bonus of course .

Sorry to intrude with unwelcome news, but I believe you have a cooling issue
despite all your fans, etc.

I base my opinion on the following:
3200+ Winchester overclocked to 2.5 GHz on an Asus A8V Deluxe w/ 3 HD, DVD,
DVD-+R, 2 Gig PC4000, etc in Antec SOHO tower w/ 2 slow-quiet 80mm rear
exhaust & 1 slow-quiet 80mm front intake. Using *stock* HSF.
Temps
Room: 25C
Case: 28C
CPU Idle: 36C
CPU 100%: never over 46C

Essentially, our CPU's are running at the same speed. Your room is cooler,
yet your CPU idle and stress temps are considerably higher with a special
HSF (which *should* work better than the AMD-supplied stock HSF, correct?).

I think Ed's comments about the possibility of fans "fighting" each other
might apply. More is often not better. I don't see where you've told us your
case temperature? The differentials between room and case, and between case
and CPU will help with the analysis (big difference between room and case
often indicates airflow issue. big difference between case and CPU often
indicated HSF issue).

Old June 15th 06, 06:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

"Peter van der Goes" wrote

I think Ed's comments about the possibility of fans "fighting" each other
might apply.

Here is an article where they tried different configurations and a single
rear fan blowing out won. But they aren't clear about whether they covered
up the holes for the unused fans.

http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=230

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Old June 16th 06, 11:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd

Hopeful wrote:
Running a A64 3700+ San Diego and can barely run it at 2.5Ghz, in fact I
have to run it at the following.

275 HTT x 9 = 2475 @ 1.4v
RAM runs around 230

M/B is ASUS A8N32-SLI, RAM is 1Gb of Geil 3500 which will run up to
about 250Mhz with sloppy timings. Cooling is a Zalman 9500LED.

I've tried vcore up to 1.55v but it make no difference other than
temperature increase. Anything over 2500 cause prime failures and
stability issue in games, anything over 2560 wont even boot into windows.

All other voltages are running at default/automatic setting, PEG-Link is
disabled (my 7900GT didnt like FSB230 with it enabled) HTTbus is set
4x275 (1100)

I see others reaching 2.6Ghz if not 2.7Ghz on air with 3700+, so am VERY
disappointed in what im getting. Have I just got a turkey of a CPU or
am I likely missing a setting or something? Any advice appreciated.

you have a problem with the board specially with the bios, change it ...
for ABIT or MSI they handle better high cpu. ASUS is only a name ... do
not take anyboard if do not have Phoenix Bios ... Phoenix bios is the
only top.

In case Happy independance day to all , Bro.

Mike. from Canada.