Two G450's in one system

Old October 28th 04, 07:10 PM
Bob Davis

Default Two G450's in one system

I have a friend who wants to install a second G450 to her system and I've
located a PCI card for that purpose. The AGP dual-head she now has is not
compatible with the monitor-calibration device she uses and the manufacturer
is telling her a second video card will be required to use the device with
dual monitors.

My question is this: If a PCI G450 is installed along side the G450 AGP
already in there, will it use the same drivers and co-exist amicably? Or
would it be better to buy another brand of card, like a Radeon, which will
use different drivers?

--

To reply, nix "nix" in address.

Old October 28th 04, 08:56 PM
Richard Hopkins

"Bob Davis" wrote in message
My question is this: If a PCI G450 is installed along side the
G450 AGP already in there, will it use the same drivers and
co-exist amicably?

Yes, provided the OS is Win98 or newer.

Or would it be better to buy another brand of card, like a Radeon,
which will use different drivers?

There's no good reason why this wouldn't work, but it'd be neater and
simpler to use another G-series card.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Old October 28th 04, 10:01 PM
Bob Davis

"Richard Hopkins" wrote in message

"Bob Davis" wrote in message

My question is this: If a PCI G450 is installed along side the
G450 AGP already in there, will it use the same drivers and
co-exist amicably?

Yes, provided the OS is Win98 or newer.

Or would it be better to buy another brand of card, like a Radeon,
which will use different drivers?

There's no good reason why this wouldn't work, but it'd be neater and
simpler to use another G-series card.

If I bought a PCI G450 would it use the same drivers as the AGP card? If
so, what's the best procedure for installing it and having it lock in on the
proper drivers?

Old October 29th 04, 12:42 AM
Richard Hopkins

"Bob Davis" wrote in message
If I bought a PCI G450 would it use the same drivers as the AGP card?

Yes. No need to reinstall the drivers or anything like that either, just
plug the card in and it should be recognised and the driver reloaded
automatically on next boot.

If so, what's the best procedure for installing it and having it lock
in on the proper drivers?

Turn off computer, install card, turn on computer, follow any prompts as
Windows does a plug and play installation, then go into display properties
and enable the multiple output(s). Simple. :-)

Old October 29th 04, 07:37 PM
Bob Davis

"Bob Davis" wrote in message
If I bought a PCI G450 would it use the same drivers as the AGP card?

Yes. No need to reinstall the drivers or anything like that either, just
plug the card in and it should be recognised and the driver reloaded
automatically on next boot.

If so, what's the best procedure for installing it and having it lock
in on the proper drivers?

Turn off computer, install card, turn on computer, follow any prompts as
Windows does a plug and play installation, then go into display properties
and enable the multiple output(s). Simple. :-)

I'm assuming it'll pick up the generic XP drivers at first rather than
Matrox, as it seems to always do with a single G450. After that, I have
always performed a driver update to the Matrox drivers, which if previously
installed and used are already available and selectable. I don't understand
why it doesn't give the option to use the Matrox drivers at the outset
rather than through a driver update.

Old October 30th 04, 04:21 AM
AJ

"Bob Davis" wrote in message news:4Cagd.82315$cJ3.75804@fed1read06...
I have a friend who wants to install a second G450 to her system and I've located a PCI card for that purpose. The AGP
dual-head she now has is not compatible with the monitor-calibration device she uses and the manufacturer is telling her a
second video card will be required to use the device with dual monitors.

My question is this: If a PCI G450 is installed along side the G450 AGP already in there, will it use the same drivers and
co-exist amicably? Or would it be better to buy another brand of card, like a Radeon, which will use different drivers?

Sadly, I can't even get ONE G450 PCI to work in my Intel 865GBFLK motherboard.
Good thing the onboard graphics support 1600x1200. No dual head possibility though
it seems.

AJ

Old October 30th 04, 01:03 PM
Richard Hopkins

"Bob Davis" wrote in message
I'm assuming it'll pick up the generic XP drivers at first rather
than Matrox, as it seems to always do with a single G450.

It shouldn't if there's already a G-series card in the system with a driver
loaded. In that case it should use the Matrox driver.

I don't understand why it doesn't give the option to use the Matrox
drivers at the outset rather than through a driver update.

That is likely to be down to WinXP's liking for WHQL signed drivers as much
as anything else.

Updrade PC Guy Smith General 22 August 15th 04 01:57 AM
Dual processor system vs Single processor system HawkEye_42 General 3 January 27th 04 11:01 AM
Regarding a fix for large system cache in xp LostSoul Ati Videocards 3 January 8th 04 05:56 PM
Multi-boot Windows XP without special software Timothy Daniels General 11 December 12th 03 05:38 AM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan Overclocking 37 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM