9800 PRO Built by ATI=Junk

Old June 23rd 03, 01:39 AM
David Hunter

Default 9800 PRO Built by ATI=Junk

But two out of two pieces of junk certainly make for a bad selection.

I purchased the 9700 AIW Pro for about $380, more than double what I've ever
paid for a graphics card in the past, thinking I would get something to
outperform my old 7500 raedon.

Absolutely crap picture with the tuner and oor, very low, sound level. I
thought the card must be fauly and returned it for a replacement. The
replecement has exactly the same problems, and the store I bought it from
refuses to exhcange it again and certainly will not do a refund.

I'm now stuck with a very expensive piece of junk in the cupboard with my
old Raedon 7500 back in my computer doing the business.

"Alceryes" wrote in message

"TT 1080i" wrote in message
let's see... Video card of choice in order of progression.
Voodoo cards, then Nvidia, and a month ago I came over to the dark side

and
purchased a 9800 pro.
Moving the card from one pc to another last night I noticed the fan was

half
hanging off. One of the securing posts does not expand when through the

pcb.
And it appears there is or was not thermal paste or tape on the chip

prior
to the fan going on.
Of coarse I called ATI and complained about the shoddy craftsmanship.

But
do
you think a Canadian company doing business in the US gives a rip?

No....
and I bought the card over a month ago from CompUSA who's exchange

policy
is
14 days.
I can deal with the fan. That's not a big deal. What's surprising is

I've
worked in the pc field for 13-14 years and have never had a fan or heat

sink
dis-lodge from a video card.
So their motto should be. "The name goes on before the quality goes in".
I've learned 2 lessons from this.

1) Do not by ATI
2) Never buy from CompUSA ( I knew this going in. But they were the only
people in town that had the card).

end of rant.

One bad apple doesn't make the whole orchard rotten...
--

"I don't cheat to survive. I cheat to LIVE!!"
- Alceryes

(check out my modded/OC'd system at

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/alceryes)

Old June 23rd 03, 06:12 PM
ZOD

I'm now stuck with a very expensive piece of junk in the cupboard with my
old Raedon 7500 back in my computer doing the business.

LOL....yeah, well now we know you don't really have an AIW 9700Pro...hehe