installing a new card?

Old June 22nd 03, 05:22 PM
Sumedh

Default installing a new card?

Hi,

I just got a new Radeon 9600, and as a newbie, I was wondering what
exactly are the steps to take to install the card.

- Do I un-install the old driver through the Add/Remove programs? Does
that suffice? Some tips suggest going through the BIOS. How exactly do
I do that?

- What is "Flashing" the BIOS? What does it do?

- Are the Catylyst 3.4 the de-facto standard for the new cards?

Thanks a lot,
Sumedh
Old June 23rd 03, 03:44 AM
Bob Knowlden

Using add/remove on the old card's drivers ought to be adequate. (I have
seen utilities for removing all traces of old drivers, but I haven't used
them. I went from an nVidia GF4 4200 to an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro a few months
ago - after the 9700 dropped in price - with no difficulty.)

I don't understand what BIOS settings would have to do with it.

The BIOS is the Basic Input/Output System. It contains the code needed to
start up and run the PC. "Flashing" the BIOS is updating the code, which
resides on an EEPROM (electrically erasable programmable read only memory)
chip. You flash the BIOS to fix errors in it, add new features, support new
processors, etc. The main reason to *not* casually upgrade the BIOS is that
if something goes wrong with the flash, the machine my not be usable until
new EEPROM chip is installed with a working BIOS. (Most PCs use a socketed
BIOS chip, so it can be done without soldering. I've never had to do it,
though.) Some PCs have BIOS recovery features built-in, but I haven't used
mine.

The Catalyst 3.4 drivers are the latest unified driver release for the
Radeon cards. (They're equivalent to the nVidia "Detonator" drivers,
although ATI strongly discourages the distribution of leaked beta versions.
I sort of miss that.) Rumor has it that the Catalyst 3.5 drivers will be
released on Monday, 26 June.

HTH.

Bob Knowlden

Spam dodger may be in use. Replace nkbob with bobkn.

"Sumedh" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I just got a new Radeon 9600, and as a newbie, I was wondering what
exactly are the steps to take to install the card.

- Do I un-install the old driver through the Add/Remove programs? Does
that suffice? Some tips suggest going through the BIOS. How exactly do
I do that?

- What is "Flashing" the BIOS? What does it do?

- Are the Catylyst 3.4 the de-facto standard for the new cards?

Thanks a lot,
Sumedh

8X APG not working shmortz Asus Motherboards 6 December 8th 04 11:57 PM
Flash card reader: write problem... KILOWATT General 7 June 1st 04 12:19 AM
TV tuner card for LCD Stacey General 15 April 4th 04 03:06 AM
Problems installing ALI USB 2.0 / IEEE1394 multi-port USB / Firewire pci card Hans H jakobsen General 2 March 31st 04 10:57 AM
Add PCI card gives 1 Long 2 Short Beeps Jane Tweedynn General 5 October 6th 03 01:15 AM