OT Anybody have Hotmail? Working?

Old May 29th 14, 11:04 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Steve Hayes

Default OT Anybody have Hotmail? Working?

On Wed, 28 May 2014 23:11:52 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

I guess it's called "Outlook.com" but the URL says "live.com".

I'm having trouble getting to Sent, Deleted, etc. It shows
messages there, but nothing happens when I click on those folder
names.

I've had it for years, but it hasn't worked for almost as many years. You can
try it, if you like -- address is in my sig.

--
Terms and conditions apply.

Steve Hayes

Old May 29th 14, 07:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
...winston

John Doe wrote, On 5/29/2014 5:48 AM:
BobbyM masseyNOSPAM hotmail.com wrote:

John Doe wrote:

Maybe related... In the Hotmail tab when there is a new
message, I see a new message indicator "(1)" but when that tab
is activated the message does not show in the Inbox until the
tab/page is refreshed.

I can do some serious troubleshooting on this, like restoring
an older installation. If it's troublesome or interesting
enough to do so. I suspect it's part of one or two most recent
backups, if in fact the problem is on my end.

I don't have Firefox installed but it worked as normal for me in
IE11 & Chrome. If you have another browser installed, try it in
that browser. Then you'll know whether it's a Firefox or a
Windows problem.

You're right. Apparently it's a Windows problem that occurred
after the ninth of this month. Amazing how easy solving problems
is when you have backups of Windows. Now all I have to do is pay
attention to what was installed or upgraded (if it's done again).

There have been no updates (since May 9th or even earlier this year) in
Windows or IE that impact Outlook.com (fka Hotmail.com) functionality
when using Windows with IE or 3rd party browser clients.

The Outlook.com web UI, though, is undergoing changes to enhance the
existing and also provide new features.

--
...winston
msft mvp consumer apps
Old May 29th 14, 08:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
John Doe

Doesn't necessarily require an update from Microsoft for something
to get messed up in Windows. Surprise. It could be a new piece of
software. It could be a configuration change. Conceivably
something could get corrupted. But whatever it was is gone,
Hotmail is working correctly now.

It was a strange problem. Very strange. I will keep my eye open
for what caused it.
Old May 30th 14, 05:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
...winston

John Doe wrote, On 5/29/2014 3:05 PM:
Doesn't necessarily require an update from Microsoft for something
to get messed up in Windows. Surprise. It could be a new piece of
software. It could be a configuration change. Conceivably
something could get corrupted. But whatever it was is gone,
Hotmail is working correctly now.

It was a strange problem. Very strange. I will keep my eye open
for what caused it.

With Outlook.com (fka Hotmail) being a web based program any suspect
variables would most likely lie within user configurable browser settings.

--
...winston
msft mvp consumer apps
Old May 30th 14, 05:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
John Doe

It happens in Internet Explorer 11 too.

And, strangely, it happens seemingly randomly. It's happening
again without installing or configuring anything. I suppose it could
be my mouse. But that wouldn't explain why activating the tab does
not automatically download the email (the tab must be refreshed). I'm
using a wireless router, maybe that has something to do with it.
Old May 31st 14, 03:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Loren Pechtel[_2_]

On Thu, 29 May 2014 19:05:50 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

Doesn't necessarily require an update from Microsoft for something
to get messed up in Windows. Surprise. It could be a new piece of
software. It could be a configuration change. Conceivably
something could get corrupted. But whatever it was is gone,
Hotmail is working correctly now.

Yeah, I just fixed a machine that was misbehaving--by uninstalling
Chrome. After the uninstall it quit pausing every second or so and it
would again load updates.

(Since I saw no culprits I was looking through the task manager for
anything I could kill to see if it was the culprit. Something Chrome
runs at startup was the guilty party.)
Old May 31st 14, 05:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
John Doe

Something else just happened now that I recall happening before
but did not associate it with anything else. In Xnews, when I
press the / key to jump to and open the next unread message,
sometimes it jumps to the message but does not open it. That
sounds like similar misbehavior.

Wild guessing... I have set the wireless router to favor someone
else's PC. Perhaps this stuff can happen when they are using it.

Anyways, it's weird. I'm glad it doesn't mess up ordinary keyboard
input.
Old May 31st 14, 08:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
David[_26_]

At Fri, 30 May 2014 19:50:34 -0700, Loren Pechtel rearranged some
electrons to write:

wrote:

Doesn't necessarily require an update from Microsoft for something to
get messed up in Windows. Surprise. It could be a new piece of software.
It could be a configuration change. Conceivably something could get
corrupted. But whatever it was is gone, Hotmail is working correctly
now.

Yeah, I just fixed a machine that was misbehaving--by uninstalling
Chrome. After the uninstall it quit pausing every second or so and it
would again load updates.

(Since I saw no culprits I was looking through the task manager for
anything I could kill to see if it was the culprit. Something Chrome
runs at startup was the guilty party.)

I didn't realize anyone was still using hotmail.
Old June 1st 14, 01:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,free.usenet,free.spirit
John Doe

But seriously...

Old June 1st 14, 01:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
...winston

wrote:

Doesn't necessarily require an update from Microsoft for something to
get messed up in Windows. Surprise. It could be a new piece of software.
It could be a configuration change. Conceivably something could get
corrupted. But whatever it was is gone, Hotmail is working correctly
now.

Yeah, I just fixed a machine that was misbehaving--by uninstalling
Chrome. After the uninstall it quit pausing every second or so and it
would again load updates.

(Since I saw no culprits I was looking through the task manager for
anything I could kill to see if it was the culprit. Something Chrome
runs at startup was the guilty party.)

I didn't realize anyone was still using hotmail.

Not too many....only about 0.5 Billion accounts on the planet.

--
...winston
msft mvp consumer apps

Hotmail Font Problem JP Homebuilt PC's 3 August 9th 10 06:31 PM
OT hotmail down today? JAD[_3_] Homebuilt PC's 2 April 13th 07 03:55 PM
Hotmail 250MB!!! Dave C. Homebuilt PC's 8 November 11th 04 07:11 PM
hotmail offline [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 4 February 7th 04 12:00 AM
How to Hack Hotmail John E. Carty AMD Thunderbird Processors 1 September 4th 03 02:11 AM