How long does a USB KeyFOB Last?

Old June 6th 09, 06:42 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Justin[_8_]

Default How long does a USB KeyFOB Last?

For instance, if I write a bunch of junk on a USB key, and just let it
sit in a box somewhere - how long will it last?
A year?
Old June 6th 09, 07:11 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Justin wrote:

For instance, if I write a bunch of junk on a USB key, and just let it sit in a box somewhere - how long will it last?

There is no nice tidy time.

Any device can fail. The obvious protection is to use more than one if the data matters.

A year?

There isnt any time if the device doesnt fail.

Old June 6th 09, 08:18 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Harry331

Justin wrote...

For instance, if I write a bunch of junk on a USB key, and just let it
sit in a box somewhere - how long will it last?
A year?

I have a 500 MB USB key sitting for more than 3 years, still working.
Now I am using a 8GB USB key intead, and don't bother the 500 MB one.

Old June 7th 09, 05:33 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno[_3_]

Justin wrote:
For instance, if I write a bunch of junk on a USB key, and just let it
sit in a box somewhere - how long will it last?
A year?

Typical Vendor statement for MLC FLASH chips is 10 years.
Of course your key manufacturer may have bought substndard
stock.

Arno
Old June 17th 09, 08:06 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ato_Zee

How long will stored core memory retain data?

Until an EMP that coincides with the end of the world.

Unlike magnetic and optical media there is no obvious
mechanism why a USB stick should fail except from
failure of the components on the sticks PCB associated
with reading and writing.
With magnetic media reliability is more to do with the
data processing components, than gradual loss of
the magnetic domains on the platters.
With optical media it is a function of the quality of
the coating, the dye, or the quality of pressed media
substrate.
Old June 17th 09, 10:50 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Ato_Zee wrote:
Rod Speed wrote
BoG wrote

How long will stored core memory retain data?

Until an EMP that coincides with the end of the world.

Unlike magnetic and optical media there is no
obvious mechanism why a USB stick should fail
except from failure of the components on the
sticks PCB associated with reading and writing.

Just as true of core memory. Main problem with it is that
its a hell of a lot more expensive per GB than a USB stick.

With magnetic media reliability is more to do with
the data processing components, than gradual
loss of the magnetic domains on the platters.

Not true of the core memory being discussed.

Old June 18th 09, 04:31 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Eric Gisin wrote:

I thought flash memory had a limited lifetime -- that is bitrot occurs over the years??

Thats only with writing, not true of not writing, just sitting in a drawer etc.