Acer aspire 2023: installing a memory module??

Old June 18th 04, 12:54 PM
freed

Default Acer aspire 2023: installing a memory module??

Dear all

I have purchased an ACER aspire 2023 notebook. I had planned to
upgrade the RAM up to 1 Go, with 2 modules of 512Mo, in replacement of
the 2 x 256Mo modules.
While one slot is easily accessible from the back of the laptop, the
other one is hidden somewhere inside the belly of the beast,
presumably behind the keyboard.
Does anyone know how to access it smoothly, without breaking the
whole thing or killing the warranty?
I have asked folks at acer support, but I can't get something that
looks like a clear answer from them... very frustrating.

Thank you for any help.

Fred
Old June 19th 04, 10:11 PM
freed

(Aaron) wrote in message . com...
(freed) wrote in message . com...
Dear all

I have purchased an ACER aspire 2023 notebook. I had planned to
upgrade the RAM up to 1 Go, with 2 modules of 512Mo, in replacement of
the 2 x 256Mo modules.
While one slot is easily accessible from the back of the laptop, the
other one is hidden somewhere inside the belly of the beast,
presumably behind the keyboard.
Does anyone know how to access it smoothly, without breaking the
whole thing or killing the warranty?
I have asked folks at acer support, but I can't get something that
looks like a clear answer from them... very frustrating.

Thank you for any help.

Fred

Now I feel like the master. I have conquered a support site and a
user manual in one day!!!

Anyway, I went to the Acer website and found the Aspire 2020 manual,
which is the closest I could find. The manual is a 4MB file, so that
sucked because my broadband is rather slow. Then, I read through the
guide for 5 minutes, and against all odds, they actually tell you how
to replace the RAM!!

So check page 47 of your manual, or if you don't have one, get this
file:

http://csd.acer.com.tw/acer/URMUL1.NSF/1af87a750eeeb70f0825628f006e0bfc/8b83e987aecc20cf48256e75002bbc4a/$FILE/Aspire%202020_EN.pdf

Anyway, the battery is under the RAM (vice versa).

Aaron

Dear Aaron

What you describe is actually the easily accessible memory slot. In
the manual they don't say a word about the other one, the hidden
slot...
Thanks for your help anyway.
fred
Old June 20th 04, 04:42 AM
Aaron

Dear Aaron

What you describe is actually the easily accessible memory slot. In
the manual they don't say a word about the other one, the hidden
slot...
Thanks for your help anyway.
fred

Oh, I should have known. I was thinking of my laptop, which also had
a cover right above the keyboard for memory. But of course your
laptop is not the same...

If you do go digging inside your laptop, a few things I learned from
experience:
Don't disconnect cables that are simply inserted into jacks (the ones
without plugs on the ends) unless you really need to take that risk.
Work slowly, taking care.
Often you have to be rather clever to get things apart and together
again, but there is usually an easy way.

Aaron
Old June 20th 04, 01:56 PM
Ron Cook

Old June 22nd 04, 11:17 AM
freed

Dear Ron
I do not think the other module is soldered to the motherboard. In
Acer docs, they clearly say that the RAM is upgradable up to 2Go
(provided 1Go modules become available). The hidden slot must somehow
be accessible (probably underneath the keyboard). The question is
how..

Thanks for your help anyway.

Cheers

Fred

Old June 25th 04, 08:46 AM
freed

I am answering to my own request.
I finally managed to change the hidden memory module underneath the
keybd. Here's how:
1) remove the battery
2) remove the screw marked with a "H" on the back of the laptop.
(althoguh I am not sure this step is absolutely necessary.
3) open up completely the notebook (screen almost horizontal).
4) with a small flat scree driver, try to remove the plastic cap at
the top of the keybd, where you have the power switch, email switch,
etc.. To do this, insert cautiously a flat screwdriver at the edge of
the keybd and this platic bar, right at the location of the power
switch (i e between keys F8 and F9). Lift up cautiously and remove
the plastic cover. almost there.
5) you can now see that the keybd is hold by 2 tiny screws. remove
them and lift the keybd. Now you can access the memory slot.

Fred