To paste or not to paste after already pasting

Old March 17th 04, 06:21 PM
Bf

Default To paste or not to paste after already pasting

Duron 750 I moved the chip to a new mother board and stupidly detached the
sink. So should I repaste?

Thanks

Old March 17th 04, 08:17 PM
Noozer

"Bf" wrote in message
Duron 750 I moved the chip to a new mother board and stupidly detached the
sink. So should I repaste?

Only if you are going to turn it on, and after removing what paste is there.

Old March 17th 04, 08:35 PM
sam

Bf wrote:

Duron 750 I moved the chip to a new mother board and stupidly detached the
sink. So should I repaste?

Thanks

I did with an AMD K6. I don't think it'll hurt as long as you don't
leave an excess of paste on.

Old March 17th 04, 11:18 PM
kony

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 18:21:01 GMT, "Bf" wrote:

Duron 750 I moved the chip to a new mother board and stupidly detached the
sink. So should I repaste?

Thanks

Yes.

Remove old paste first then repaste. Duron is a relatively cool running
chip though, since you're asking I wonder if you dont' have any paste...
in that case you might be able to get by with just the old paste, possibly
at less than optimal interface and few degress hotter. On the other hand
if the original interface is a pre-applied material, not a gease(y) type
but phase-change then it's more important to replace it.
Old March 18th 04, 01:24 AM
Bf

"kony" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 18:21:01 GMT, "Bf" wrote:

Duron 750 I moved the chip to a new mother board and stupidly detached

the
sink. So should I repaste?

Thanks

Yes.

Remove old paste first then repaste. Duron is a relatively cool running
chip though, since you're asking I wonder if you dont' have any paste...
in that case you might be able to get by with just the old paste, possibly
at less than optimal interface and few degress hotter. On the other hand
if the original interface is a pre-applied material, not a gease(y) type
but phase-change then it's more important to replace it.

Yeah I don't have any paste handy but its not a problem to get some
tomorrow. This was a chip out of a compaq presario so I'm not sure what they
use.

Thermal paste - General 12 November 15th 03 08:54 AM
Best thermal paste? Perdita X. Dream General 2 October 21st 03 10:51 AM
Thermal pad or Thermal paste? Vin General 68 September 17th 03 05:38 AM