file too big to fit on one cd

Old January 13th 04, 11:40 PM
JMP

Default file too big to fit on one cd

Hi,
I'd like to burn an *.avi file which is 1,060,000 Ko. Can I fit it on 2
CDs? Is there a special technique?
Any help welcome. Thanks,
Jean.
Old January 14th 04, 05:14 AM
Mike Richter

JMP wrote:
Hi,
I'd like to burn an *.avi file which is 1,060,000 Ko. Can I fit it on 2
CDs? Is there a special technique?
Any help welcome. Thanks,
Jean.

You can and there is not. Simply split the file in any video editor with
the appropriate codec. You could also split it with any of the old DOS
tools which will deal with such large files, but then you would have to
rejoin the files to play the second one. (No header.)

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old January 14th 04, 05:50 AM
mcheu

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 00:40:52 +0100, JMP wrote::

Hi,
I'd like to burn an *.avi file which is 1,060,000 Ko. Can I fit it on 2
CDs? Is there a special technique?
Any help welcome. Thanks,
Jean.

You have 3 choices.

1. Get a video file splitter program. You can find such programs
he

http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downloads/index.html

Look under "Editing Tools", specifically "cut/join Tools."

Once split, you'll have two files that you can burn onto separate CDs.

2. Re-encode the file using a codec with a higher compression ratio,
or use a lower bitrate. If you're re-encoding with the same codec,
don't bother messing with the resolution. You don't shave off much in
terms of size. The only thing you'll gain by messing with the
resolution is encoding speed. It won't take as long to encode a low
res version.

3. Get a DVD burner and buy some DVD-Rs or DVD+Rs. There is a high
capacity CD format that's been announced, that will allow 1GB on a CD,
but burners capable of this aren't available yet, and there's no
guarantee that drives can read this format. Add to this, the DVD
burner and media has droped into the sweet spot (the price zone where
the adoption rate shoots through the roof), and the high-density CDs
are already obsolete.
Thanks,
MCheu
Old January 15th 04, 04:47 PM
SleeperMan

3. Get a DVD burner and buy some DVD-Rs or DVD+Rs. There is a high
capacity CD format that's been announced, that will allow 1GB on a CD,
but burners capable of this aren't available yet, and there's no
guarantee that drives can read this format.

Just a side comment: Plex Premium burns up to 1,2 GB on 99 min CDR.
compression is 1.4x(99 min x1.4=138 min, or 900M x 1.4=1260M) and such CDR
is more or less readable only in Premium drive. Surprisingly i can run such
created AUDIO CD (80 min CDR, burned with 1.4x) on my 10 years (or more) old
Philips CD changer (home HiFi). 1 year old Sony player doesn't read it, nor
Car CD player. It takes about 1 minute to recognize CDR, but it does play
it. My PC CD ROM drive reads it, while Creative DVD ROM doesn't.

But you can burn a CDR with compresion of 120% which is readable in most
drives. It's just a pitty that there isn't an option to burn at 110% , since
this would add some 80M of space and such a CDR would be deifinitely
readable in all drives.
It's bloddy picky about media, though...(regarding max burn speed). I can't
find a decent CDR, which would burn at 52x...

Old January 15th 04, 10:36 PM
JMP

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 00:40:52 +0100, JMP wrote:

Hi,
I'd like to burn an *.avi file which is 1,060,000 Ko. Can I fit it on 2
CDs? Is there a special technique?
Any help welcome. Thanks,
Jean.

Thanks for your answers. I have a DVD burner and will try the lazy solution
first. Thank you all.
Jean.

boot-up problem Dave General 1 January 11th 04 02:38 PM
Can't get CD Burner to Burn Nottoman General 2 December 22nd 03 05:47 PM
Nero 5.5.x compilation file: burn contents of \folder\* ? RJ Cdr 0 November 11th 03 07:18 PM
Help! - The dreaded buffer underrun XPG Cdr 5 August 31st 03 06:27 PM
File System Conversion from NTFS to back to FAT32 Optonline Overclocking AMD Processors 0 June 23rd 03 01:19 PM