Stupid Question - how do you remove a fan from a heatsink?!

Old October 25th 03, 11:23 AM
Perdita X. Dream

Default Stupid Question - how do you remove a fan from a heatsink?!

I've just purchased a new heatsink, but I need to utilise the fan off the
old. The thing, is I can't see how to unscrew it, as I don't appear to have
the tool(s) necessary. I didn't assemble the original unit and, the bloke
who did only screwed through the bottom set of holes and I can't get a
screwdriver in to unscrew!

If you imagine a fan (this is a PABST, though most fans are of the same
construction), you have an upper square bit with screw-holes and a lower
bit, well he's used little copper crosshead screws through the lower set of
holes. What tool do I need to remove the screws?! I don't have a screwdriver
slim enough to fit through the gap - any ideas?!

Thanks!

--
Perdita X. Dream

Please help us to help you
http://groups.google.com
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Please note that the reply address is fake.
Keep all posts to the groups as private requests for assistance
(i.e. email/IM) cannot be acknowledged. Thank you.

Old October 25th 03, 12:34 PM
kony

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 11:23:51 +0100, "Perdita X. Dream"
wrote:

I've just purchased a new heatsink, but I need to utilise the fan off the
old. The thing, is I can't see how to unscrew it, as I don't appear to have
the tool(s) necessary. I didn't assemble the original unit and, the bloke
who did only screwed through the bottom set of holes and I can't get a
screwdriver in to unscrew!

If you imagine a fan (this is a PABST, though most fans are of the same
construction), you have an upper square bit with screw-holes and a lower
bit, well he's used little copper crosshead screws through the lower set of
holes. What tool do I need to remove the screws?! I don't have a screwdriver
slim enough to fit through the gap - any ideas?!

Thanks!

The most common sets here are called jeweler's screwdrivers, though
they're not really, larger and cheaply made but a set of 6-12 in a
jeweled case is about $3-8 USD.

The other option would be to just drill-out the top holes large
enough, or take the slimmest phillips driver you have and just apply
some pressure while twisting, boring-out the small hole in the fan
housing till the blade can slip down through... YMMV on how
successful that approach is with the specific driver and fan.

Dave

Ram Question Kevin General 8 March 5th 04 12:33 PM
Question about LCD and CRT monitors (Samsung variety) Aaron Chan General 3 October 7th 03 02:04 PM
Newbie: FSB speed question Joseph General 3 August 28th 03 11:51 PM
Motherboard FSB - Newbie Question mac General 1 August 2nd 03 03:16 AM
Get message "Remove disks or other media" since converting from NTFS to FAT32 Paul Hill General 1 July 6th 03 02:03 PM