Maxtor reliability?

Old October 23rd 03, 05:05 AM
@drian

Default Maxtor reliability?

I've been reading the newsgroups via Google for a few hours, and Maxtor
seems to get a bad name for reliability. One person after the next made
comments like "bought a Maxtor brand-new and within two months it died".

Are they *that* bad? I only ask because Western Digital, who seem to get a
good name, don't make the size of drives I need, where-as Maxtor does. I
find it hard to believe they are so bad, yet, I don't want to buy a couple
then have it fail then remember all the "evidence" I saw in the newsgroups.
:-)

@drian.

Old October 23rd 03, 06:10 AM
kony

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 04:05:41 GMT, "@drian" wrote:

I've been reading the newsgroups via Google for a few hours, and Maxtor
seems to get a bad name for reliability. One person after the next made
comments like "bought a Maxtor brand-new and within two months it died".

Are they *that* bad? I only ask because Western Digital, who seem to get a
good name, don't make the size of drives I need, where-as Maxtor does. I
find it hard to believe they are so bad, yet, I don't want to buy a couple
then have it fail then remember all the "evidence" I saw in the newsgroups.
:-)

@drian.

IMHO, Maxtor's Diamondmax 60 series was less reliable than the
next-gen D740, or later "plus" series. Other than that I haven't
noticed any trends towards Maxtors being any worse than WDs, and I
often hear of people who had their WD 120GB BB drives fail too, so
it's happening in both brands, but at relatively low rates considering
how popular they are.

FWIW, I have over a half-dozen Maxtor D740 and Plus 8 drives here,
none of which have had any problems. Also I have fewer, at least 4 WD
drives, also with no problems, but the WD drives are much louder,
annoyingly so once you're used to quiet drives.

Dave

Old October 23rd 03, 06:45 AM
@drian

"kony" wrote in message
...but the WD drives are much louder,
annoyingly so once you're used to quiet drives.

Is that because the WD drives don't use fluid-bearings? I'm unsure, but I
remember reading that Maxtor and Seagate are the only ones to use
fluid-bearings, but I'm not sure on the significance of doing so. I assumed
it was for noise suppression.

@drian.

Old October 23rd 03, 06:52 AM
@drian

" wrote in message
They arent that bad. If you sit around and read the groups youll see
the same thing about all drives.

Well, after reading more than 400 messages, I seemed to see more bad
feedback on Maxtors than say, WD's. I didn't see much feedback on Seagates
though. But then again, the instances I saw could be one-off's.

A while ago as I posted IBMs were god. If you suggested that they were
bad in any way you had an avalanche of posts saying you were a moron.
After their publicized problems suddenly they were like toxic waste.

It's ashame, as I usually associate IBM products as quality. I have a few
IBM products and they are very well made. I had SCSI drives a couple of
years ago, and while good quality, the transfer rate was slow and the drive
was hot, as compared to a Maxtor.

I intermittently see bashing of Maxtors and WDs and praise for all of
them. Im not saying that the people arent posting the truth though its
hard for some to believe the - " I had 10 XXXXs in a row and they all
blew up after using them a week. Im never going to buy them again !"

Yes, I agree. There must be another factor involved, like bad cooling,
overclocked motherboard, something to induce the failures.

touch one with a ten foot pole. Or maybe some do have some weird
incompatibity with some setups we dont know about and maybe some users
dont have the ideal environment - really cramped case, poor cooling
with HD crammed on top of another drive.

Yes. I would have both IDE drives mounted vertically on a rack, with a
120mm fan blowing air across them. Very effective. Good thing is, that
design came with the case. It wasn't something I needed to "rig".

Ive also was at a store to get a rainchecked HD item and saw a
salesman unpacking the HDs from brown box and he couldnt get them out
so he was turning them upside down and banging on the box. And ever
see the huge piles of HDs and other stuff stacked on the floor? Im
sure some of the boxes have been knocked off the top.

Wow. That's true. You don't know how the drives are treated before they
are shipping out to customers. It's amazing some store staff's complete
ignorance with regard to delicate electronics.

@drian.

Old October 23rd 03, 01:26 PM
Lane Lewis

"@drian" wrote in message
news
I've been reading the newsgroups via Google for a few hours, and Maxtor
seems to get a bad name for reliability. One person after the next made
comments like "bought a Maxtor brand-new and within two months it died".

Are they *that* bad? I only ask because Western Digital, who seem to get

good name, don't make the size of drives I need, where-as Maxtor does. I
find it hard to believe they are so bad, yet, I don't want to buy a couple
then have it fail then remember all the "evidence" I saw in the

newsgroups.
:-)

@drian.

Maxtor gets more complaints because they sell more drives.

Keep the drive very cool, buy a quality PSU, only use windows defrag, check
the drive only using the manufactures utilities, and make sure your computer
is on a dedicated circuit.

end of 99 percent of the problems with hard drives.

Lane

Old October 23rd 03, 08:37 PM
@drian

Thanks all for your comments. Much appreciated.

@drian.

Old October 24th 03, 08:20 AM
Timothy Daniels

"@drian" bowed out:
Thanks all for your comments. Much appreciated.

Hey, no! There's more! *My* Maxtor (a 17GB 5400
rpm wonder) has gone for 4 1/2 years with no problems.
It runs for about 10 hours per day inside my PII Dell
desktop. Dell does a good job of case design, in my
opinion, and it's kept cool by good airflow. Cooling
probably has a lot to do with HD longevity.

*TimDaniels*