Maxtor reliability?

Old October 23rd 03, 05:05 AM
@drian

Default Maxtor reliability?

I've been reading the newsgroups via Google for a few hours, and Maxtor
seems to get a bad name for reliability. One person after the next made
comments like "bought a Maxtor brand-new and within two months it died".

Are they *that* bad? I only ask because Western Digital, who seem to get a
good name, don't make the size of drives I need, where-as Maxtor does. I
find it hard to believe they are so bad, yet, I don't want to buy a couple
then have it fail then remember all the "evidence" I saw in the newsgroups.
:-)

@drian.

Old October 23rd 03, 06:10 AM
kony

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 04:05:41 GMT, "@drian" wrote:

I've been reading the newsgroups via Google for a few hours, and Maxtor
seems to get a bad name for reliability. One person after the next made
comments like "bought a Maxtor brand-new and within two months it died".

Are they *that* bad? I only ask because Western Digital, who seem to get a
good name, don't make the size of drives I need, where-as Maxtor does. I
find it hard to believe they are so bad, yet, I don't want to buy a couple
then have it fail then remember all the "evidence" I saw in the newsgroups.
:-)

@drian.

IMHO, Maxtor's Diamondmax 60 series was less reliable than the
next-gen D740, or later "plus" series. Other than that I haven't
noticed any trends towards Maxtors being any worse than WDs, and I
often hear of people who had their WD 120GB BB drives fail too, so
it's happening in both brands, but at relatively low rates considering
how popular they are.

FWIW, I have over a half-dozen Maxtor D740 and Plus 8 drives here,
none of which have had any problems. Also I have fewer, at least 4 WD
drives, also with no problems, but the WD drives are much louder,
annoyingly so once you're used to quiet drives.

Dave

Old October 23rd 03, 06:45 AM
@drian

"kony" wrote in message
...but the WD drives are much louder,
annoyingly so once you're used to quiet drives.

Is that because the WD drives don't use fluid-bearings? I'm unsure, but I
remember reading that Maxtor and Seagate are the only ones to use
fluid-bearings, but I'm not sure on the significance of doing so. I assumed
it was for noise suppression.

@drian.

Old October 23rd 03, 07:06 AM
.Aba

Does any one know what a fluid bearing is? I have a feeling it's a
marketing ploy, or an illusion of a shaft spinning in "fluid".

Old October 23rd 03, 07:21 AM
@drian

".Aba" wrote in message

Does any one know what a fluid bearing is? I have a feeling it's a
marketing ploy, or an illusion of a shaft spinning in "fluid".

Pure guess here, but I thought it would be the spindle in the middle of the
platters is somehow immersed in a light oil instead of miniature ball
bearings.

@drian.

Old October 23rd 03, 01:26 PM
Lane Lewis

"@drian" wrote in message
news
I've been reading the newsgroups via Google for a few hours, and Maxtor
seems to get a bad name for reliability. One person after the next made
comments like "bought a Maxtor brand-new and within two months it died".

Are they *that* bad? I only ask because Western Digital, who seem to get

good name, don't make the size of drives I need, where-as Maxtor does. I
find it hard to believe they are so bad, yet, I don't want to buy a couple
then have it fail then remember all the "evidence" I saw in the

newsgroups.
:-)

@drian.

Maxtor gets more complaints because they sell more drives.

Keep the drive very cool, buy a quality PSU, only use windows defrag, check
the drive only using the manufactures utilities, and make sure your computer
is on a dedicated circuit.

end of 99 percent of the problems with hard drives.

Lane

Old October 23rd 03, 06:25 PM
Phisherman

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 04:05:41 GMT, "@drian" wrote:

I've been reading the newsgroups via Google for a few hours, and Maxtor
seems to get a bad name for reliability. One person after the next made
comments like "bought a Maxtor brand-new and within two months it died".

Are they *that* bad? I only ask because Western Digital, who seem to get a
good name, don't make the size of drives I need, where-as Maxtor does. I
find it hard to believe they are so bad, yet, I don't want to buy a couple
then have it fail then remember all the "evidence" I saw in the newsgroups.
:-)

@drian.

I have had Maxtors and Western Digital go bad. I would go with a
well-known brand with longer/better warranty. Too bad IBM screwed
up--they used to be the best drives manufactured. Currently I have a
80 GB Maxtor, and it has been running fine for 18 months.
Old October 23rd 03, 08:37 PM
@drian

Thanks all for your comments. Much appreciated.

@drian.