Motherboard preference? Abit NF7-S v2.0, Asus A7N8X-E or Gigabyte 7N400 Pro2

Old May 4th 04, 05:16 AM
Amy

Default Motherboard preference? Abit NF7-S v2.0, Asus A7N8X-E or Gigabyte 7N400 Pro2

I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on which is the better board
out of the three (Abit NF7-S v2.0, Asus A7N8X-E or Gigabyte 7N400
Pro2)? The Abit board is more in my budget but I hear that Abit has
terrible failure rates with Gigabyte being the most reliable. But the
more I read, the more people say the Abit board is best for
overclocking. Anyone have any opinions on which is the best or will
provide the most benefits for OC and reliability? Thanks.

-- Amy
Old May 4th 04, 05:00 PM
S.Heenan

Amy wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on which is the better board
out of the three (Abit NF7-S v2.0, Asus A7N8X-E or Gigabyte 7N400
Pro2)? The Abit board is more in my budget but I hear that Abit has
terrible failure rates with Gigabyte being the most reliable. But the
more I read, the more people say the Abit board is best for
overclocking. Anyone have any opinions on which is the best or will
provide the most benefits for OC and reliability? Thanks.

All three are among the best Nforce2 Ultra 400 boards out there, in terms of
performance, stability and reliability. The Abit has the edge for
overclockers. I have used both the NF7-S Rev2 and the Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev2
in many builds. With good quality RAM and power supply, all three are rock
solid. The A7N8X-E Deluxe is a newer version of the A7N8X Deluxe Rev2, with
Wi-Fi support and Gigabyte LAN.

Old May 5th 04, 01:21 AM
Amy

All three are among the best Nforce2 Ultra 400 boards out there, in terms of
performance, stability and reliability. The Abit has the edge for
overclockers. I have used both the NF7-S Rev2 and the Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev2
in many builds. With good quality RAM and power supply, all three are rock
solid. The A7N8X-E Deluxe is a newer version of the A7N8X Deluxe Rev2, with
Wi-Fi support and Gigabyte LAN.

Thanks for the comments. I do want to get the Abit due to the great OC
reviews out there and I can get it cheap but there is the issue of
Abit's failure rate. If anyone has an Abit NF7-S v2.0 that's had no
problems or has had problems with it, please drop a post here. Thanks.
Old May 5th 04, 03:42 AM
S.Heenan

Amy wrote:
Thanks for the comments. I do want to get the Abit due to the great OC
reviews out there and I can get it cheap but there is the issue of
Abit's failure rate. If anyone has an Abit NF7-S v2.0 that's had no
problems or has had problems with it, please drop a post here. Thanks.

Among any wholesalers and resellers I deal with, the Abit, Asus, and
Gigabyte have the least number of RMA returns. The highest numbers are from
a company with the least expensive boards on the market. (Big surprise
there.) Feel free to ask your question in alt.comp.hardware or
alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit.
A few years ago Abit and others had failures related to poorly manufactured
capacitors. Those days are gone.

Old May 5th 04, 01:17 PM
Amy

"S.Heenan" wrote in message news:5wYlc.352327$Pk3.957@pd7tw1no...
Amy wrote:
Thanks for the comments. I do want to get the Abit due to the great OC
reviews out there and I can get it cheap but there is the issue of
Abit's failure rate. If anyone has an Abit NF7-S v2.0 that's had no
problems or has had problems with it, please drop a post here. Thanks.

Among any wholesalers and resellers I deal with, the Abit, Asus, and
Gigabyte have the least number of RMA returns. The highest numbers are from
a company with the least expensive boards on the market. (Big surprise
there.) Feel free to ask your question in alt.comp.hardware or
alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit.
A few years ago Abit and others had failures related to poorly manufactured
capacitors. Those days are gone.

Ah...that might explain a bit then. Some of the things I read related
to capacitors and some said Abit had the highest RMA at 30% (might
have been exagerated maybe), must have been from back then. I'll post
something at alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit, thanks.
Old May 15th 04, 05:07 AM
mitchd

I am having many problems with the A7N8X-E Deluxe and resource
conflicts. ASUS has recently pulled the latest bios off the web site
1010.

Old May 15th 04, 02:40 PM
S.Heenan

mitchd wrote:
I am having many problems with the A7N8X-E Deluxe and resource
conflicts. ASUS has recently pulled the latest bios off the web site
1010.

What, exactly are the conflicts ? Have you tried disabling unneeded devices
in the BIOS ? Switching PCI slots ?

Start|Run|Type msinfo32|OK|Hardware resources|IRQs|Edit|Select
all|Edit|Copy|

Paste the results in this thread, along with a list of your hardware, if you
wish.