Serial ATA hard drive confusion

Old April 29th 04, 07:52 PM
mrbclass

Default Serial ATA hard drive confusion

1. The Serial ATA hard drives I've seen on Newegg have the same basic
stats (Average Seek Time: 8.5 ms, Buffer: 8MB, Rotational Speed: 7200
RPM) as most other drives, yet people say they are faster... why?

2. Does one need a special motherboard to use them? Exactly how does
that work?
Old April 29th 04, 11:31 PM
DaveW

Serial ATA harddrives have a maximum data transfer rate of 150 Mbps.
Parallel ATA drives have a maximum of 100 or 133 Mbps, depending on brand.

SATA drives use a different controller than PATA drives, so the motherboard
must be designed for it.

--
DaveW

om...

Old April 29th 04, 11:38 PM
mrbclass

OK clearly I do not know the difference between Serial ATA and SATA if
there is one. Are they the same thing?
Old April 30th 04, 11:32 AM
mrbclass

I suppose Serial ATA and IDE use the same cable, but just process the
info differently? Or will I need a different cable as well as a Serial
ATA enabled motherboard?
Old May 1st 04, 03:37 AM
andthen

You don't actually need a special motherboard for Serial ATA, you can use a
Serial ATA Controller card (which would go in a PCI slot).

om...