clean install - cannot connect ?

Old October 12th 04, 03:13 AM
Cynthia G

Default clean install - cannot connect ?

Hi,

My sister has my old Dell XPST800r, PIII 800MHz, 384MB or 512MB (don't
remember) Ram, 20GB PM, 60GB PS, which has been running XP for a while.
My sister managed to get a couple of phone home type viruses and the
annoying constant checkdisk at every boot, at about the same time.

Since, she also wanted to change her husband's account to Limited and
create a new one for her daughter, and since she's been using the thing
under my username since I gave it to her, I figured I might as well
re-format and start over. It's always been a good - and fairly simple -
idea in the past.

So, the format, partition (from XP CD) install goes fine, and I want to
activate, so I try to go online - no way. In Device Manager the modem
says "cannot start". I delete and re-install the modem, but no help.
I've never had to install any drivers for the thing before and have no
idea what modem it is (it could be any of three or four I've had around
over the years) - XP just recognized it and it worked before. I've had
DSL for long enough that I simply don't remember anything about modem
configuration. I set it up to be dialling from Canada, my area code and
put in the correct phone number (it's for my DSL dial up service).

So, I take it out and put in another one. It shows up fine in Device
Manager, and dials fine. I can hear the tones of communication, but
eventually I get the error that the other computer did not reply. While
it is actively trying to connect - the entire system is frozen - nothing
works, not even CTRL-ALT-DEL.

I cannot figure out what I've done wrong - I don't live in the same
neighbourhood as the PC and my sister and hubby are pretty hopeless, so
I'm stuck with this problem. I'm going back over there next weekend.

Any ideas, advice, links would be greatly appreciated. I wish I knew
more so that I could offer useful advice here instead of always asking
for (and getting) help.

Would it be better to clean install WIn98 (the original OS on the
system) and upgrade to XP?

TIA,
--
Cynthia
I don't read Hotmail - To mail me: cynthiag at canadiensfan dot com

Old October 12th 04, 05:30 AM
Christopher Muto

i have seen problems surface with otherwise perfectly reliable modems after
installing service pack 2. the simple solutions of which are to uninstall
service pack 2 or get new modem drivers.

. ..

Old October 12th 04, 12:56 PM
Cynthia G

. ..

Christopher Muto wrote:
i have seen problems surface with otherwise perfectly reliable modems
after
installing service pack 2. the simple solutions of which are to
uninstall
service pack 2 or get new modem drivers.

Thank you - unfortunately, I hadn't gotten to Service Pack 2, yet (have
the CD, and that's the next step). Still at SP1.

Old October 12th 04, 02:04 PM
David Casey

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 22:13:48 -0400, Cynthia G wrote in
:

Any ideas, advice, links would be greatly appreciated. I wish I knew
more so that I could offer useful advice here instead of always asking
for (and getting) help.

The modem not being detected sounds like a driver problem. Look on the
first modem and see if you can find a brand name or model number or
hopefully both. Then go to the manufacturers website and see if you can
get some Windows XP drivers for it.

As for not being able to connect with the second modem, I don't know why
you wouldn't be able to connect. Possibly a driver problem there as well
since you said the machine locks up and I didn't see you mention installing
any drivers except the generic Windows XP ones. Try and find drivers for
that one if you can't for the first one.

Would it be better to clean install WIn98 (the original OS on the
system) and upgrade to XP?

It's my opinion that this would not be a better idea.

Dave
US Army Signal Corps!!

http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!
Old October 12th 04, 03:30 PM
tim

Have you installed the drivers from the disk that came with the
modem(instead of the default xp generic driver)?
Also try clearing the NVRAM in the BIOS and restore defaults.( To do
this you can go to the DELL web site
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dkub/)
Try changing the PCI slot.
If it still locks up, try swapping it with a good known modem.

Tim.

Old October 12th 04, 03:50 PM
Cynthia G

"David Casey" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the reply and opinion.

Unfortunately, the 1st modem has no brand name on it and XP gave it a
Standard modem driver (it's an ISA model). The 2nd one was in an old
computer listed as "LT win modem" and XP installed the drive "Lucent Win
Modem" - I assume these are the same driver, newer version.

I have another modem at home that came with my newer Dell Dim 4550. I think
it's a winmodem, but I have Dell's disk with it.

Someone else suggested that I install the chipset drivers, but are these
necessary on this older system? (XPS T800r PIII) because I don't remember
installing or updating anything the last time I installed XP on it and there
were no other yellow exclamation points in Device Manger except the 1st
modem, and none after the change to the 2nd modem.

This is driving me nuts, because I've done about 8 or 9 clean XP installs on
3 different systems, including the one now with problems, and have *never*
had anything fail like this.

Thanks again,

Old October 12th 04, 04:02 PM
Cynthia G

"tim" wrote in message
om...
Have you installed the drivers from the disk that came with the
modem(instead of the default xp generic driver)?
Also try clearing the NVRAM in the BIOS and restore defaults.( To do
this you can go to the DELL web site
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dkub/)
Try changing the PCI slot.
If it still locks up, try swapping it with a good known modem.

Tim.

I would - if I knew which modem it was. It's an ISA and I think it came
with the machine - Win98. It *was* a good modem until yesterday after the
clean re-install of XP SP1. But, then I put in another PCI modem, obviously
in another slot and it is recognized and dials - but no actual connection.

I have another modem to try next weekend - with it's driver disk.

After that, I'll try clearing the NVRAM.

Thanks.

Old October 13th 04, 12:09 AM
Christopher Muto

ahha! xp does not support isa very well! that is likely your problem... is
there a pci slot available? there is a $20 PCI modem on sale at staples
with week with a $20 rebate...
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3672_7-...ml?legacy=cnet

. ..

Old October 13th 04, 12:13 AM
Christopher Muto

keep in mind that this computer has two serial ports, and your isa modem,
and potentially usb devices emulating serial ports... you may have to
disable one of the other ports in order to get this one to fly... but with a
newer pci type 'software' (aka 'win'dows) type modem the com port can be
something other than com1/3 or com2/4 which would avoid resource
conflicts...

"Cynthia G" wrote in message
. ..

om...

Old October 13th 04, 02:25 AM
Cynthia G

"Cynthia G" wrote in message
[...]

"Cynthia G" wrote in message
. ..

om...

Christopher Muto wrote:
keep in mind that this computer has two serial ports, and your isa
modem,
and potentially usb devices emulating serial ports... you may have to
disable one of the other ports in order to get this one to fly... but
with a
newer pci type 'software' (aka 'win'dows) type modem the com port can
be
something other than com1/3 or com2/4 which would avoid resource
conflicts...

Yes, I understand - however I could find no COM conflicts and I did try
various disabling. As for XP not lining ISA (as per your previous
message) I didn't know it was ISA until it wouldn't work and I changed
it for another PCI (Lucent Win Modem), which will dial but not connect.
And also, it (1st Modem - ISA) was purring along happily in XP until I
did the fresh install.

Then, it "can not start" - was the only exclamation point in Device
Manager. So, I tried changing to another modem from another PC and it
will dial but not connect - and - it completely freezes the entire
system while it is doing the dialing.

I have received some adivce:

1. I have yet another modem - with it's own driver disk - to try. I'd
prefer to not buy another one, because here in Montreal - the cheapest I
can find is about $30 CAD.

2. I should check the BIOS to see if it was set to another type of OS.

3. I could try clearing out the NVRAM.

4. I could try starting with just XP (no SP1 - as was originally done)
to see if I can get the original modem to work there, then upgrade. I
assume SP2 (I have the CD) incorporates SP1??

I wish I could figure this out because spending this much time at my
sister's house (this Monday and back this weekend) is not my idea of a
good time!