Dummy camera which moves

Old November 9th 03, 07:41 AM
Tony Sutton

Default Dummy camera which moves

"Lem" wrote in message

Oddly enough it is from Betterware. You can see the description on
their website at http://www.betterware.co.uk and using product code
"17850" (or try this short link at http://snurl.com/2w1h).

I've seen it... it's VERY plasticly. I would advise you to get a real steel
casting, so it will look real.

--

- Tony Sutton
- http://www.hyperboard.co.uk - The Biggest Message Board!

Old November 9th 03, 01:04 PM
nigel. carron

In message , Tony Sutton
writes
I've seen it... it's VERY plasticly. I would advise you to get a real
steel casting, so it will look real.

Nah - anyone who hangs about long enough to suss its a dummy - WON'T
care if its a real HD-TV camera that sings and dances!

--
njc AKA (Fastpay, Paypal & nochex e-mail)
Old November 9th 03, 06:32 PM
Robert

Seen something similar to this in the CPC catalogue. ordered a couple for a
customer and they appear reasonably convinving. £4.99 I seem to recall.

www.cpc.co.uk

"Lem" wrote in message
Has anyone tries or used this dummy camera (see link below) for £10
which senses if people are present and moves if they are there?

Seems quite good for the price. Not seen anything similar anywhere
else.

Oddly enough it is from Betterware. You can see the description on
their website at http://www.betterware.co.uk and using product code
"17850" (or try this short link at http://snurl.com/2w1h).

"Dummy security camera to help deter thieves. Its built-in sensor
detects motion nearby and the camera moves round as the LED light
flashes. Requires two AA batteries"

Any experience with this or anything similar would be of interest to
me.

Old November 11th 03, 10:56 AM
Baguss

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 18:59:09 GMT, Lem wrote:

Has anyone tries or used this dummy camera (see link below) for £10
which senses if people are present and moves if they are there?

Seems quite good for the price. Not seen anything similar anywhere
else.

Oddly enough it is from Betterware. You can see the description on
their website at http://www.betterware.co.uk and using product code
"17850" (or try this short link at http://snurl.com/2w1h).

"Dummy security camera to help deter thieves. Its built-in sensor
detects motion nearby and the camera moves round as the LED light
flashes. Requires two AA batteries"

Any experience with this or anything similar would be of interest to
me.

As Robert says they are on www.cpc.co.uk at £4.99 (search for "dummy"
rather than navigate the menus). The only problem is they are for
internal use only :-(
Old November 11th 03, 01:31 PM
Mike Scott

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 10:56:54 +0000, Baguss wrote:

As Robert says they are on www.cpc.co.uk at £4.99 (search for "dummy"
rather than navigate the menus). The only problem is they are for
internal use only :-(

What a strangely worded web site. That particular page
(http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/produ...ct%5Fid=264867)
has tech info on various alkaline batteries, plus the dummy camera!
They offer batteries and camera as "variations" of "this product".
Makes me suspicious about the price.

Btw, does anyone else take exception to web sites that demand you
enable cookies before you can browse a catalogue?

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
regards. Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)
Old November 11th 03, 05:31 PM
Mr K

Mike Scott wrote:
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 10:56:54 +0000, Baguss wrote:

As Robert says they are on www.cpc.co.uk at £4.99 (search for "dummy"
rather than navigate the menus). The only problem is they are for
internal use only :-(

What a strangely worded web site. That particular page

(http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/produ...+Catalogue&cat
egory%5Fname=&product%5Fid=264867)
has tech info on various alkaline batteries, plus the dummy camera!
They offer batteries and camera as "variations" of "this product".
Makes me suspicious about the price.

Btw, does anyone else take exception to web sites that demand you
enable cookies before you can browse a catalogue?

I've just seen one of these in a local shop for £9.99. Not very well put
together, the lens looks totally fake, (black plastic rather than clear).
The motors make a high pitched whining noise, which might be good for making
the thing noticed, not to great on the "realism" front.
This one had the obligitary red flashing led on the front, plus a small hole
which i guess is where the motion sensor is.
If you put it high enough, then it might be ok, but the batteries would need
changing, so easy access is a must!
Also I'd have a cable coming from it, vanishing into the house, to make it
look more real....

Mat

Old November 12th 03, 08:33 AM
Bagpuss

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 17:31:53 -0000, "Mr K"
wrote:

Mike Scott wrote:
[...]

The one at cpc does have the cable. The problem is to put it high
indoors as I bet it will packup outdoors within a few weeks of rain.
Old November 12th 03, 11:51 AM
nigel. carron

In message , Bagpuss
writes
The one at cpc does have the cable. The problem is to put it high
indoors as I bet it will packup outdoors within a few weeks of rain.

A bit of clear silicone will seal it - and/or convert it to take 2 D
cells
--
njc AKA (Fastpay, Paypal & nochex e-mail)
Old November 12th 03, 02:37 PM
Mr K

nigel. carron wrote:
In message , Bagpuss
writes
The one at cpc does have the cable. The problem is to put it high
indoors as I bet it will packup outdoors within a few weeks of rain.

A bit of clear silicone will seal it - and/or convert it to take 2 D
cells

The one I saw did have a "cable" going from the camera to the plate on the
wall. What I meant was to add some additional cable going away from the
camera into the house to give it a proper wired in look...

Old November 13th 03, 08:45 AM
Bagpuss

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 14:37:50 -0000, "Mr K"
wrote:

nigel. carron wrote:
In message , Bagpuss
writes
The one at cpc does have the cable. The problem is to put it high
indoors as I bet it will packup outdoors within a few weeks of rain.

A bit of clear silicone will seal it - and/or convert it to take 2 D
cells

The one I saw did have a "cable" going from the camera to the plate on the
wall. What I meant was to add some additional cable going away from the
camera into the house to give it a proper wired in look...

A properly installed external camera doesn't usually have wires
trailing off. They go through the base plate then through the wall. It
makes it harder to cut the wires in a blind spot then.