How does the IP400 Handle 6x4 paper?

Old February 16th 05, 08:30 PM
Mikey

Default How does the IP400 Handle 6x4 paper?

Could anyone tell me how the Canon IP4000 handle 6x4 paper?
Is it the same way that the I865 does it, With a cartridge type system, or
does it have it's own slot?

Thanks For Any Help

Mike

Old February 16th 05, 09:10 PM
SleeperMan

Mikey wrote:
Could anyone tell me how the Canon IP4000 handle 6x4 paper?
Is it the same way that the I865 does it, With a cartridge type
system, or does it have it's own slot?

Thanks For Any Help

Mike

ip4000 has two feeders: one is cassette in which you can load whichever
paper you like, second is auto sheet feeder at upper rear - there you can
also position what you want. So, you can have plain paper in cassette and
all other stuff you put in auto sheet feeder- or vice versa - you can put
4x6 photo paper in cassette and feed plain paper in auto sheet feeder.

Old February 17th 05, 01:17 AM
Taliesyn

Mikey wrote:

Could anyone tell me how the Canon IP4000 handle 6x4 paper?
Is it the same way that the I865 does it, With a cartridge type system, or
does it have it's own slot?

Thanks For Any Help

You mean that rather-cheapy-optional-plastic-attachment-cartridge-device
that hooks on near the feed in the top back.... My older i860 has it,
but I rarely used it. It's sitting in the closet. I prefer to feed the
photos one at a time through the main feeder.

The new "iP" models don't have this contraption. Canon has resorted to a
full-size second feeder tray under the printer. This is a removable
tray with sliding length and width guides (even the tray is adjustable
to size) so you can stock anything from A4, LTR, 5x7 and 4x6. It works
great, and I still don't use it for photos, just text paper. My Costco
paper is quite thick, not too flexible. I think the printer has to
bend the paper around a roller, so I prefer to feed my photos from the
top - as usual.

But I like the second, bottom tray idea. I don't have to remove the gold
fish bowl from the nice, flat printer top every time I print. But I
would have liked a slot opening for the paper to exit without having to
open the bulky damn door in the front. I'm sure they could have designed
a model with an sliding door exit slot that would activate when the
printer was turned on. Am I'm getting lazy? . . .

Relax, I was kidding about the gold fish bowl. In actual fact, on top
of my iP5000 right now I have a soft cloth cover, a Kleenex box, a
hefty book I printed, the Cash Box Top 100 Singles book, a photo of my
niece, and chewing gum (unused). All of these items would have promptly
rolled right off the older round top, bread box styled i860/i865s...

-Taliesyn
Old February 17th 05, 06:12 AM
T i m

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 20:30:26 GMT, "Mikey" wrote:

Could anyone tell me how the Canon IP4000 handle 6x4 paper?
Is it the same way that the I865 does it, With a cartridge type system, or
does it have it's own slot?

As of last night when I plumbed in my new ip4000 I can also answer
this one ;-)

As mentioned, I have filled the lower casette with A4 and used the
upper plip up door to do some test photo prints on the 5 sheets of A6
glossy (generous aren't they?).

It fed ok and I was pretty impressed with both the speed and the
quality.

I too wondered why nothing was printing till I lowered the front flap.

1) I was pleased it didn't try to print and just screw the paper up

2) Wondered how difficult it would have been to have an auto release
in there and a damped door action?

I took 40 CD's, and various ink carts off the top of the HPDJ840c but
as yet haven't put them pack on the nice flat top on this Canon (I
wonder how long though ...) ;-)

All the best ..

T i m