Converting USB modem connection to Ethernet

Old November 24th 04, 09:15 PM

Default Converting USB modem connection to Ethernet

My ISP forces me to use a DSL modem with only a USB connection to PC,
so I have to leave my PC running all the time. Is there a way I can
convert the USB interface to RJ45? I want to connect the modem directly
to the WAN port of my wireless router, so I can have wireless access
and connect other networked devices into it, without having my PC
running.

Thanks for any help!
Yahya Farooq

Old November 24th 04, 09:58 PM
Noozer

Nope... Tell your ISP to get stuffed. There's no reason that they can't use
modems that have both Ethernet and USB.

Who is your ISP?

ups.com...

Old November 25th 04, 05:04 PM
Skeleton Man

My ISP forces me to use a DSL modem with only a USB connection to PC,
so I have to leave my PC running all the time. Is there a way I can
convert the USB interface to RJ45?

Use a USB to ethernet adapter like this (shouldn't be hard to pick one up):
http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=107335

Regards,
Chris

Old November 25th 04, 06:59 PM
Noozer

"Skeleton Man" wrote in message
My ISP forces me to use a DSL modem with only a USB connection to PC,
so I have to leave my PC running all the time. Is there a way I can
convert the USB interface to RJ45?

Use a USB to ethernet adapter like this (shouldn't be hard to pick one

up):
http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=107335

That won't work at all!

Old November 26th 04, 01:14 PM
Skeleton Man

Use a USB to ethernet adapter like this (shouldn't be hard to pick
oneup):
http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=107335

That won't work at all!

My appologies, I thought it was the type that connected to USB male A plug,
but it's only one that connects to vacant usb port. Should look more closely
in future. There are adapters like I mentioned, just don't seem too common.

Regards,
Chris

Old November 27th 04, 02:06 PM

Nope... Tell your ISP to get stuffed. There's no reason that they
can't use
modems that have both Ethernet and USB.

Unfortunately it's the only ISP of the country. govt controlled. I
talked to customer "support" and... let's just say I wasn't kidding
when I said they forced me to use their modem.

Btw, if I do get another modem, can they find out? I know cable modems
throttle bandwidth, do DSL modems do the same? and should it make a
difference if I get a third party modem?

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=107335

That won't work at all!

Why won't it work? Is it because of the physically unmatched USB
connectors? I can get an adaptor for that. Or does it need logic
processing for the conversion?

Thanks
Yahya Farooq