So few capacitors on motherboard?

Old January 3rd 04, 02:45 PM
larrymoencurly

Default So few capacitors on motherboard?

I just bought an ECS K7VTA3 ver. 8c mobo and noticed that it has only
about a third as many electrolytic capacitors as most mobos. Has
anyone ever seen a fairly recent mobo with so few?

Before you say that ECS makes cheap mobos (this one was $40 at Fry's,
with Duron CPU), my other ECS mobos, including a K7S5A Pro ver. 5,
each have about 45 electrolytics, and even my old Soyo Intel 810i
mobo, which has only a single-phase CPU core voltage regulator, has
over 40.

The K7VTA3 also has about six places where capacitors were left out,
including one for the CPU core voltage regulator, while on my K7S5A
only about two were left out. Has anyone ever noticed an improvement
in stability by adding missing capacitors?
Old January 3rd 04, 03:24 PM
Dave C.

"larrymoencurly" wrote in message
m...
I just bought an ECS K7VTA3 ver. 8c mobo and noticed that it has only
about a third as many electrolytic capacitors as most mobos. Has
anyone ever seen a fairly recent mobo with so few?

Ummmm . . . although this should be obvious, not all capacitors are equal.
You can't make assumptions about the design of a motherboard based on
counting the number of physical capacitors. In order to compare two
motherboards, you would need to determine the function of *each* capacitor,
and then find the specifications for *each* capacitor that performs a
similar function. But for comparison purposes, I've got a fairly recent
Athlon XP motherboard by Epox (nforce 2 chipset) that has 13 capacitors
clustered around the voltage regulators. There are only 28 total on the
entire board, nowhere near 40 or 45. It has been running rock-solid stable
for several months, no problems at all. When I was planning the system, my
plan "B" was a board made by ECS. I don't think you'll have any problem
with your ECS board. The power supply has more to do with stability than
capacitors on the motherboard. Get a good power supply, and you should be
all set. -Dave

Old January 3rd 04, 06:40 PM
kony

On 3 Jan 2004 06:45:45 -0800,
(larrymoencurly) wrote:

I just bought an ECS K7VTA3 ver. 8c mobo and noticed that it has only
about a third as many electrolytic capacitors as most mobos. Has
anyone ever seen a fairly recent mobo with so few?

Before you say that ECS makes cheap mobos (this one was $40 at Fry's,
with Duron CPU), my other ECS mobos, including a K7S5A Pro ver. 5,
each have about 45 electrolytics, and even my old Soyo Intel 810i
mobo, which has only a single-phase CPU core voltage regulator, has
over 40.

The K7VTA3 also has about six places where capacitors were left out,
including one for the CPU core voltage regulator, while on my K7S5A
only about two were left out. Has anyone ever noticed an improvement
in stability by adding missing capacitors?

Is it instable?
In what way if so? Memory bus or overclocking or ???
You may need test these parts in another system to get a feel for
their potential (if you haven't already) so the board is the only
variable.

Are the capacitors running warm-hot?

I'm sure it is a cost-cutting measure, since ECS doesn't use any caps
of high enough quality that fewer could substitute, like Rubycon MBZ,
Fujitsu hybrids, or OS-Cons. Then again, larger can-size means lower
ESR in same "family", so fewer would work. Strategically placed chip
caps could work too, but I think it's pretty much a given that the
board won't last as long, except that it's using a (now) relatively
low-powered CPU, which will help.

You could add some, but what's the point? A lot of time and $ on more
caps, when a different board would have more already.
i suppose if you have the spare caps lying around it's something to
try, though it might be better left unused, as a backup board, system,
in case of emergency.
Old January 3rd 04, 08:41 PM
larrymoencurly

"Dave C." wrote in message ...

[...]

I'm probably worrying about nothing, but it's just strange that the
same manufacturer would cut way back on capacitors for a mobo that has
roughly the same features and number and types of chips as the the
K7S5A Pro (even though the former uses a VIA chipset and the SiS).
And while it's only ignorant speculation on my part, I can't believe
that the new mobo's chips are far more tolerant of spikes or dirty
signals than the other mobo's are. I also didn't see any surface
mount electrolytics, just ceramics, and there seemed to be just as
many ceramics on the older board. But an engineer friend suggested
that maybe the new mobo needs fewer bypass capcitors because it has a
second ground plane inside -- something about lowering the Q of the
board that way.

Get a good power supply, and you should be all set.

I'm sure won't use my $13 PSU with it; I'm gonna hook it up to my
deluxe $15 one! Actually they're really good, Delta and
Fortron/Sparkle, bought as close-outs.
Old January 3rd 04, 09:13 PM
larrymoencurly

kony wrote in message . ..

ECS K7VTA3 ver. 8c mobo has only about a third as many
electrolytic capacitors as most mobos.

my other ECS mobos, including a K7S5A Pro ver. 5, each have
about 45 electrolytics,

Is it instable?

It's been 100% stable since testing started last night, except when I
set a jumper wrong and overclocked the 1.6 GHz CPU to 2.0 GHz. I
don't overclock, except for my 300 MHz Celeron, which has been at 450
MHz for four years.

Are the capacitors running warm-hot?

They're all cool, as are all the transistors and chokes, except the
transistor of the linear regulator of the 2.5V memory supply. OTOH my
ECS P4S5A2 has some switching transistors and adjacent capacitors that
have run a bit warm since new, and that old Celeron mobo has a 3.3V
switching regulator transistor and capacitors that have been at 70C
for four years (was 90C without heatsink).

I'm sure it is a cost-cutting measure, since ECS doesn't use any caps
of high enough quality that fewer could substitute, like Rubycon MBZ,
Fujitsu hybrids, or OS-Cons.

All the capacitors are OST brand, except for a few black & white
Luxon-G
bypass caps. My other ECS boards use Luxons for bypass, another brand
for their
switching regulators. I didn't see any chip electrolytics, only chip
ceramics, and this K7VTA3 mobo doesn't seem to have any more of them
than my older ECS mobo.

You could add some, but what's the point? A lot of time and $ on

more
caps, when a different board would have more already.
i suppose if you have the spare caps lying around it's something to
try, though it might be better left unused, as a backup board,

system,
in case of emergency.

An engineer friend of mine bought three of these mobos and added the
missing capacitors, but he does that with every board he gets. He
suggested that the K7VTA3 could require fewer capacitors if it has a
second
ground plane inside that "cuts the Q" of the circuit board.
Old January 4th 04, 10:10 PM
kony

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 21:40:30 -0000, Conor
wrote:

In article ,
says...

I'm probably worrying about nothing, but it's just strange that the
same manufacturer would cut way back on capacitors for a mobo that has
roughly the same features and number and types of chips as the the
K7S5A Pro

Err, WHY? Is it exactly the same design? No.

Actually it is to a large extent... supports similar processors,
chipsets, plug-in devices... might even have the exact same
regulators/controller as on their other boards with more capactors.
Old January 4th 04, 10:15 PM
kony

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004 21:39:50 -0000, Conor
wrote:

In article ,
says...
I just bought an ECS K7VTA3 ver. 8c mobo and noticed that it has only
about a third as many electrolytic capacitors as most mobos. Has
anyone ever seen a fairly recent mobo with so few?

Before you say that ECS makes cheap mobos (this one was $40 at Fry's,
with Duron CPU), my other ECS mobos, including a K7S5A Pro ver. 5,
each have about 45 electrolytics, and even my old Soyo Intel 810i
mobo, which has only a single-phase CPU core voltage regulator, has
over 40.

The K7VTA3 also has about six places where capacitors were left out,
including one for the CPU core voltage regulator, while on my K7S5A
only about two were left out. Has anyone ever noticed an improvement
in stability by adding missing capacitors?

Pointless exercise. You won't gain any stability by adding them. The
reason they'll be missing is because the components for a particular
motherboard feature won't be there.

Not necessarily true. I've done it, in some cases it helps. This is
more when overclocking though, but it stands to reason that as the
capacitors age, if they once prevented overclocking by their bare
adequacy, they'll sooner prevent spec'd speed.

The bottom line is that it's done to cut costs. Clearly none of the
(other) manufacturers want to wastefully add expensive parts where
there's no benefit.

AOPEN AX4BS-V MOTHERBOARD - won't boot - won't POST - help please!! lucy General 3 November 29th 03 05:21 AM
I need to replace a bad Asus A7V motherboard David Cook General 1 October 31st 03 01:40 AM
your motherboard redbuffalo003 General 0 September 21st 03 04:08 PM
Motherboard replacement dilemma... KILOWATT General 8 September 9th 03 01:54 AM
Since powersupply burnt out motherboard, what to do with components? S.Heenan General 4 August 11th 03 03:15 PM