HD Audio Cable Question

Old November 10th 10, 11:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
chuckster

Default HD Audio Cable Question

Anyone know of any place I can get an extension cable for the HD audio cable. My front panel is at the very top of the case and it's about 3 to 4" shy of reaching the MB connector.

Thx

Chuck

Old November 11th 10, 01:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

chuckster wrote:
Anyone know of any place I can get an extension cable
for the HD audio cable. My front panel is at the very top
of the case and it's about 3 to 4" shy of reaching the MB connector.

Thx

Chuck

FrontX has stuff like that.

In this case, I don't see any of their finished products I like.
They have a USB male to female extender, but the wiring might
not be perfect for the job.

You can also buy the nylon shells and crimp pins, and make your own.

You would want (2) CPX075-4, one CPX076, one CPX076-2 (plus some wire).
Since you don't always get the crimp pins to work right, you should
double the quantity of CPX076, CPX076-2. That should give you enough
materials to make a 2x5 male to 2x5 female extender.

http://www.frontx.com/order_c.html

How to crimp, is described here. (There is likely a proper tool for
crimping and bending the metal tabs properly. I have a pair of crimpers,
but they might not be the right size for those pins. That's why I tend
to mess them up.)

http://www.frontx.com/crimp.html

I think you'd be better off, making your own assembly using
their components. You can cut the wires to just the right
length.

The hardest part of your job, will be finding some good wire
to use. I prefer nickel plated copper wire, because it
is less subject to oxidation. Places like Radio Shack, no
longer carry stuff like that. All they would carry, is
PVC over bare copper. Crimping should make a gas tight
connection anyway, but I'd still like some of the wire
you used to be able to buy. Soldering the wire to the
crimp pin, is another way to keep things secure if you're
concerned about the workmanship. Just don't allow the
solder to drool down into the working end of the pin.
The solder "stays up top":

There is always a guide, somewhere.

http://www.basicxandrobotics.com/tut...ins/index.html

And look at the nice wire he's got. Lucky *******...