Audigy kills network connection

Old July 6th 04, 12:40 AM
JustDave

Default Audigy kills network connection

This morning I turned off the motherboard audio, removed the drivers, and
installed an Audigy Gamer in my 3 GHz Intel D865PERL based computer. It
works great and sounds much better and quieter than the Intel motherboard
audio.

Trouble is, it also kills my network connection. When I try an ipconfig
/renew, I get the message "An operation was attempted on something that is
not a socket". If I pull the card and roll Windows XP Pro back to yesterday
everything is OK again. As soon as I stick the card back in, Windows
installs a driver (or something!), which causes the problem to reappear.
There's no hardware conflict (network is dead with drivers and no card) -
just some software problem. I've looked in the MS Knowledgebase and searched
Google, but none of the solutions there worked for me.I've been going around
and around with this since noon and need a clue. Any ideas will be much
appreciated.

Old July 6th 04, 08:14 AM
Lenny

This morning I turned off the motherboard audio, removed the drivers, and
installed an Audigy Gamer in my 3 GHz Intel D865PERL based computer.

Possibly, the drivers you removed also control the network interface. You
really don't HAVE to either disable onboard sound or remove any drivers;
windows handles multiple sound devices just fine. You just select the one
you want in the control panel's sound and sound units applet and that's it.

Let the drivers stay and see if the network interface still works. If not,
come back here and we'll see what can be done.

Old July 6th 04, 07:18 PM
Sharanga Dayananda

Try disabling Hyper-Threading on the CPU. This has come up in the Audigy
newgroup at nntp://news.creative.com.

'tis been fixed according to Creative a while ago with driver updates.

.. .

Old July 8th 04, 02:23 AM
JustDave

"boe" wrote in message
newsBIGc.3192$WX.2223@attbi_s51...
You mention disabling the sound - are you doing it in the bios?

"JustDave" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

No luck yet. Diabling Hyperthreading - no help. Letting both sets of drivers
load - no help. Leaving both sound cards in ( onboard enabled or disabled in
BIOS) or out, no difference. If the latest version drivers downloaded from
Creative are loaded, the network doesn't run - audio hardware or none. Tried
different versions of the network driver. MB BIOS is up to date (had the
problem with an earlier version, too). Losing mind quickly...

Old July 8th 04, 06:27 AM
boe

Remove the card, [pwer up - disable the sound in the bios - go into
windows - remove the drivers for the card. Then power down - put the card
in a different slot - power up - install drivers.
"JustDave" wrote in message
m...

"boe" wrote in message
newsBIGc.3192$WX.2223@attbi_s51...
You mention disabling the sound - are you doing it in the bios?

.. .

Old July 10th 04, 07:19 PM
JustDave

"boe" wrote in message
Remove the card, [pwer up - disable the sound in the bios - go into
windows - remove the drivers for the card. Then power down - put the

card
in a different slot - power up - install drivers.
"JustDave" wrote in message
m...

"boe" wrote in message
newsBIGc.3192$WX.2223@attbi_s51...
You mention disabling the sound - are you doing it in the bios?

"JustDave" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've tried every open slot, I've tried a
different network card and driver, I've tried everything everybody has
suggested.

Anybody know anything about the Turtle Beach Catalina? Only $57.99 on eBay,
and it's beginning to look mighty good...

Old September 1st 04, 01:25 AM
R. J. Sutherland

In " Audigy kills network connection", "JustDave"
wrote:

Trouble is, it also kills my network connection. When I try ipconfig /renew, I
get the message "An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket"

Maybe Winsock got/gets corrupted somehow(?). This error is certainly mentioned
in Microsoft's Knowledge Base article 811259:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp

A long shot, perhaps, but maybe it's your answer...

Old September 1st 04, 04:27 PM
T Shadow

"Karen Parker" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 18:19:37 GMT, "JustDave"

Read my post regarding the Firewire port as that screwed up my Net
connection..

It has to be disabled..

I recently did a clean install of XP HE sp1. I had to tell it to use the LAN
card instead of the 1394(nothing connected to it) several times. Very
irritating. I don't think you have to disable the 1394 just make a new
connection through the LAN and possibly make it the default or delete the
connection through the 1394. Don't have access to that computer at the
moment.