bios hung while flashing

Old June 23rd 03, 01:37 AM
mdp

Default bios hung while flashing

Actually, if you want to hot flash (a "not for the faint of heart" method to
recover a bad flash), you'll need to set the BIOS to cacheable in order to
pull the BIOS chip out while it's running.

--
Please de-spam my address if replying to me
"Adrian Wong" awsh @ rojakpot.com wrote in message
Hehe... That's why it's advisable NEVER to enable BIOS Cacheable in the
BIOS.

--
Adrian Wong
Adrian's Rojak Pot

The ARP Forums - http://forums.rojakpot.com
"Blair Wilson" wrote in message
Thank for the feedback. Issue resolved. I had the bios cacheable in

the
bios. Once I disabled it, flashing of the bios work without a problem.

Blair

"Blair Wilson" wrote in message
HELP NEEDED!!

I have Soyo (SY_7VCA-E) motherboard that appears to be hung while

flashing
the bios. The system is still running. I am using the awdflash

program
and
the latest bios for the board. What can I do now, without destroying

my
bios? The floppy drive is on and I ahve a blinking cursor. ANY/ALL
suggestions are welcomed.

Blair

Old June 23rd 03, 11:18 AM
Franc Zabkar

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 00:37:45 GMT, "mdp"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Actually, if you want to hot flash (a "not for the faint of heart" method to
recover a bad flash), you'll need to set the BIOS to cacheable in order to
pull the BIOS chip out while it's running.

I think you may be confusing "BIOS caching" with "BIOS shadowing".
AFAIK, all modern BIOSes are automatically shadowed in RAM. This is
because the code is compressed and needs to be expanded into RAM
during the POST and at boot time.

-- Franc Zabkar