HDMI in-ports vs HDMI out-ports (possibly related to damaged monitorHDMI OUT to OUT)

Old December 6th 18, 03:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default HDMI in-ports vs HDMI out-ports (possibly related to damaged monitorHDMI OUT to OUT)

Here is my question:

Why does the Denon A/V Receiver 1909 have a difference in labelling at the back ?

At the back there are 4 HDMI ports, all of same connector type, all female or male... no difference. These all appear to be female.

3 ports are labelled as "in"... for example tv/dvd/hdp.

1 port is laballed as "out/monitor".

I connected the PC's graphics card to A/V receiver HDMI out/monitor first.

I kinda had a bad feeling about this... just slightly...

But I thought:

1. Probably won't cause damage, never happened before in 25 years of computer equipment handling.

2. Graphics/Monitor kinda belong together.

However...

This is now connecting:

GT 520 HMDI graphics OUT with A/V receiver HDMI OUT.

So where is my question:

What happens when two HDMI OUTPUT ports are connected together ?! WTF ?!

How is this even possible ?!

Also why would there ever be a male and female connectors ?! I have seen this this is weird.

Isn't HDMI supposed to be Peer 2 Peer ?!?

So another really important question:

What is the difference between HDMI IN and HDMI OUT ?!?!?!?!?

Could connecting OUT to OUT cause DAMAGE ?!?!??!

What happens to the GT 520 ?! When it's connected like this ?!

Will it dump excessive voltage on the chasis ?!

What if chasis is not grounded ?!

Will this voltage end up into the DVI cable connected to monitor causing damage ?!?!?!?!?!?

GT 520 has 3 outputs, vga, dvi, hdmi.

dvi was connected to monitor
hdmi was connected to a/v receiver hdmi out briefly... then it didn't work switched it over to hdmi in on receiver...

To me it seems this out 2 out may have caused damaged. Or switching the cable over from the 3 different hdmi's in to experiment ?

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old December 6th 18, 04:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

I am starting to suspect this may have something to do with it:

A quote from somewhere on the web:

"
As it turns out, the signal pin used for HDMI with Ethernet is also used for the HDMI Audio Return Channel feature, which greatly improves operation with sound bars and AVR’s.
"

The denon 1909 is only hdmi 1.3a or something like that.

Perhaps this re-assignment of pins somehow caused damaged/voltages to float around in the PC ending up in the monitor.

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old December 6th 18, 07:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

wrote:
[...]

On normal I/O, the gender of the connector, helps
prevent the wrong things from being connected together,
such as "OUT to OUT".

The AV receiver could be designed like this.

+---------------+
IN1 -----
multiplexer
IN2 ----- and selector ------- OUT, to monitor --- LCD monitor
(AV receiver)
IN3 -----
+---------------+

One person answering here, claims the CEC channel allows the
devices to indicate you've done a bad thing.

https://superuser.com/questions/6054...output-devices

"The two devices will attempt to handshake with each other.
Since they are both output devices, they will not communicate.
Fortunately, no damage will occur, the engineers figured
people would attempt to do this."

Not much of an answer, but there is this. Since the HDMI
spec costs money, we have to wait for people to copy and
paste portions of it elsewhere.

https://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/TND411-D.PDF

"Section 4.2.11 Robustness Requirements

No damage to the HDMI Source or Sink can result from the
shorting of any combination of signals on any connector.
If two HDMI Sources are connected together with a single cable,
no damage can occur to either of the Sources. If two HDMI Sinks
are connected together with a single cable, no damage can occur
to either of the Sinks.
"

The HDMI documentation also happens to cover cases of using
DVI to HDMI adapter plugs - in that situation, some things
could be missing (CEC?).

Paul