HP Officejet 4635 e-All-in-One Color Printer

Old December 8th 14, 10:13 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Keith Nuttle

Default HP Officejet 4635 e-All-in-One Color Printer

Because HP does not provide Windows 8 drivers to my current printer and
scanner, I am looking at printer/scanner commbo.

One printer that I am looking at is the HP Officejet 4635 e-All-in-One
Color Printer. While I looks like it this printer, there is one thing
that bothers me.

The printer has an auto document feeder that is in the lid to the
scanner. Unlike its competition, the motor for the document feeder is
in the base unit and there is a plastic gear that slips into another
gear in the lid to drive the unit. When the lid is lowered the gear in
the lid slips in to the gear in the base to drive the document feeder.

This gear looks like a questionable setup and looks like it is designed
to fail has anyone had any experience with this type of drive mechanism
Old December 9th 14, 01:02 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
David E. Ross

On 12/8/2014 1:13 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
Because HP does not provide Windows 8 drivers to my current printer and
scanner, I am looking at printer/scanner commbo.

One printer that I am looking at is the HP Officejet 4635 e-All-in-One
Color Printer. While I looks like it this printer, there is one thing
that bothers me.

The printer has an auto document feeder that is in the lid to the
scanner. Unlike its competition, the motor for the document feeder is
in the base unit and there is a plastic gear that slips into another
gear in the lid to drive the unit. When the lid is lowered the gear in
the lid slips in to the gear in the base to drive the document feeder.

This gear looks like a questionable setup and looks like it is designed
to fail has anyone had any experience with this type of drive mechanism

I have avoided buying an all-in-one device. When my old printer died a
few years ago, my scanner was still good and remains good today. In the
meantime, I have a fax capability via Windows that does not require
either a printer or a scanner for files I create on my PC.

For an all-in-one -- printer, scanner, and fax -- all the parts do not
die at the same time. When one part dies, I either have a large
doorstop and get a new all-in-one or else I have to buy a replacement
for the failed part, thereby deviating from the all-in-one concept.

--
David E. Ross

The Crimea is Putin's Sudetenland.
The Ukraine will be Putin's Czechoslovakia.
See http://www.rossde.com/editorials/edtl_PutinUkraine.html.
Old December 9th 14, 12:38 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Ed Pawlowski

On Mon, 08 Dec 2014 16:02:13 -0800, "David E. Ross"
wrote:

I have a fax capability via Windows that does not require
either a printer or a scanner for files I create on my PC.

You have LIMITED fax capability. Some of us have to fax things that
are not on the computer so a scanner of some sort is needed. The
all-in-one machines are cheap enough these days they eliminate the
need for multiple machines.
Old December 9th 14, 12:42 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Ed Pawlowski

On Mon, 08 Dec 2014 16:13:02 -0500, Keith Nuttle
wrote:

One printer that I am looking at is the HP Officejet 4635 e-All-in-One
Color Printer. While I looks like it this printer, there is one thing
that bothers me.

The printer has an auto document feeder that is in the lid to the
scanner. Unlike its competition, the motor for the document feeder is
in the base unit and there is a plastic gear that slips into another
gear in the lid to drive the unit. When the lid is lowered the gear in
the lid slips in to the gear in the base to drive the document feeder.

This gear looks like a questionable setup and looks like it is designed
to fail has anyone had any experience with this type of drive mechanism

Designed to fail? Really????

It does not take a lot of power to pull a sheet of paper through a
scanner.