bought non-wireless priinter by mistake

Old December 9th 14, 05:29 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
micky

Default bought non-wireless priinter by mistake

On Mon, 08 Dec 2014 10:00:07 -0700, Ken Springer
wrote:

On 12/7/14 1:59 PM, micky wrote:

snip

OTOH, he has a Mac. Does that make a difference?

It shouldn't.

You didn't say which computer was the Mac. If it's the desktop, and

The desktop he has now is a Mac, and so old it won't even run the
printer. And recently he found files it wouldnt' download because it
was so old. Mac OS 10.4, I think. I forget what aniimal that is.

relatively new (mine is 5.5 years old), wireless is built-in, unlike

Oh good. I think he bought a new Mac desktop 2 months ago but hasn't
had time to take it out of the box. Either the desktop or the printer,
he says, he's used two months of hte 12-month warranty and still doesn't
know if they work.

He keeps busy with his job and other worthwhile things. Often helping
other people, no less.

Windows desktops I've seen.

All of the solutions provided should work, but I networked my Windows
computers and this Mac, and attached the USB printer to the Mac. I have
a network printer now. I am not a wireless fan, so only my Win 7
netbook used wireless. When I wanted to print something from a Windows
computer, I just selected the printer, actually it was the default
printer, and printed. The downside in this type of scenario is the
computer that has the printer connected must be on.

He may leave his desktop on all the time. I was surprissed when I heard
that.

And possibly logged
in, I don't know for sure since the Mac was always on.

When I met him he had no computer at all, years after everyone else did.
Now he has a Mac that's gotten too old, one that's new but in the box,
and an Acer netbook running XP that I'm sure would work with the new
printer, but he doesn't use much. Oh, and an Ipad. And IIUC, he has
an Apple laptop still in the box. But he doesn't waste money in any
other way, and even this is small compared to most people.

I ended up buying the wireless print server that no one else bid on, for
15 + 6 dolllars. It 's going to take months his new stuff running,
but this is a start.

The wireless print server that I didn't understand, because it was a
card that went into the printer, rreally did go into the printer. It
was a big printer with fancy options, like for an office.

I'm going to read over all the answers again and think about how they
apply to me and to him, and his landlady who sometimes depends on me to
fix her computer, and another family with 4 laptops, one for each of
them who only needed me twice iirc in several years.

Thank you and everyone else for the help.

snip

Old December 9th 14, 05:30 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
micky

On Mon, 8 Dec 2014 19:03:06 -0800, "Bob F" wrote:

Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article ,
micky wrote:

OTOH, he has a Mac. Does that make a difference?

Micky-

Two possibilities:

1. An Apple AirPort Extreme (WiFi router) has a USB port that can be
used with a USB printer. (An Apple Time Capsule is the same, but has
a Hard Drive that can be accessed over the network.)

Many routers now have USB ports, which can handle printers or usb hard drives.

Good to know. For him and me.

Thanks everyone.

Old December 9th 14, 11:52 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
[email protected]

Bob F wrote:
Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article ,
micky wrote:

OTOH, he has a Mac. Does that make a difference?

Micky-

Two possibilities:

1. An Apple AirPort Extreme (WiFi router) has a USB port that can be
used with a USB printer. (An Apple Time Capsule is the same, but has
a Hard Drive that can be accessed over the network.)

Many routers now have USB ports, which can handle printers or usb hard drives.

However I've found that although they work they can be rather slow,
routers don't have fast/powerful processors usually and the printer
USB will be low on priority. Printing nowadays can involve firing
quite a lot of data at the printer.

I found that printing via the USB port on my Draytek Vigor 2820n (not
by any means a basic router) was very slow even compared with printing
using a Raspberry Pi as the network - USB link. (I have an only HP
1320 printer that is parallel and USB only)

--
Chris Green
·
Old December 9th 14, 12:15 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Stuart[_3_]

In article ,
micky wrote:
b) Or he can leave the printer connected to his desktop computer and i

Just "share" it over the network from the desktop.

--
Stuart Winsor

Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world
http://www.twam.co.uk/
Old December 9th 14, 01:42 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Ken Springer

wrote:

On 12/7/14 1:59 PM, micky wrote:

snip

OTOH, he has a Mac. Does that make a difference?

It shouldn't.

You didn't say which computer was the Mac. If it's the desktop, and

The desktop he has now is a Mac, and so old it won't even run the
printer. And recently he found files it wouldnt' download because it
was so old. Mac OS 10.4, I think. I forget what aniimal that is.

Tiger. This iMac came with 10.5, Leopard. It's also the first Mac I've
ever bought.

[...]

If he has a new Mac desktop, a new Mac laptop, and an iPad, why bother
with the old stuff? It seems a waste of time to me.

Back when my Mac was new, I took it to my inlaws to show them a Mac.
They are all Windows users. Their son brought his HP XP laptop. It
took me about 10 minutes to get connected to their network. It took
their son 3 hours to get his XP laptop connected.

No joke.

IMO, you guys are wasting your time with getting the old equipment to
work together. If you set up the new stuff, and if he has an Apple
account, all three Apple products should talk to each other without a
hitch. For Apple apps, lets say the notepad, if you enter something
into the notepad app on the desktop, in a couple of minutes the data you
entered will be downloaded to the laptop and iPad. And vice-versa.

Caveat... The age and model of the iPad may be an issue. I'm not a big
Apple user, no iPad, no iPhone, no iPod, etc. I don't buy a product
because it's Apple, I buy what fits my needs/desires/wants. My tablet
is a Google Nexus 7, which is Android. :-)

I ended up buying the wireless print server that no one else bid on, for
15 + 6 dolllars. It 's going to take months his new stuff running,
but this is a start.

?????? The last sentence isn't making any sense to me. It shouldn't
take much time at all to get the new stuff running, if it's all Apple.
Unless the problem is one of simply getting together to do it. G

The wireless print server that I didn't understand, because it was a
card that went into the printer, rreally did go into the printer. It
was a big printer with fancy options, like for an office.

I'm going to read over all the answers again and think about how they
apply to me and to him, and his landlady who sometimes depends on me to
fix her computer, and another family with 4 laptops, one for each of
them who only needed me twice iirc in several years.

Thank you and everyone else for the help.

snip

--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.8.5
Firefox 33.1
Thunderbird 31.0
and it's gone!"
Old December 9th 14, 03:15 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Keith Nuttle

On 12/9/2014 7:42 AM, Ken Springer wrote:
?????? The last sentence isn't making any sense to me. It shouldn't
take much time at all to get the new stuff running, if it's all Apple.
Unless the problem is one of simply getting together to do it. G

If you have the security code for the network there is no need to take
that long for any computer.

I have a mixed LAN Windows 8.1 and Windows XP, On Sunday my son in law
came with his new PC and it tool longer to give him the characters in
the pass code to the LAN than it did to connect.

I think in your comments there may be a slight Mac bias.
Old December 9th 14, 04:46 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Ken Springer

On 12/9/14 7:15 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
On 12/9/2014 7:42 AM, Ken Springer wrote:
?????? The last sentence isn't making any sense to me. It shouldn't
take much time at all to get the new stuff running, if it's all Apple.
Unless the problem is one of simply getting together to do it. G

If you have the security code for the network there is no need to take
that long for any computer.

With today's computers, agreed. But the 3 hr. issue with my nephew's
computer, one of 3 or 4 he brought to his parent's house, is accurate.
I sat there and watched him try to get it to connect, and never let him
live it down. (Actually, I went and watched TV while he worked at it.
LOL) I think it took him 5-10 minutes for the others, and that was
longer than it took this Mac to connect.

At the time, he was a Windows fanboi, nothing was ever going to be
better. He's mellowed a lot since then.

But keep this in perspective, at the time Win 7 was new, and MS has
improved in this area.

I have a mixed LAN Windows 8.1 and Windows XP, On Sunday my son in law
came with his new PC and it tool longer to give him the characters in
the pass code to the LAN than it did to connect.

As I just said, MS has improved.

I think in your comments there may be a slight Mac bias.

There's good and bad about both systems. I found a couple of things
about the Mac I didn't like the first day I had it. For instance,
there's no "Move" option when doing file management. It's buried in
there, but you have to use Terminal to do it. Nothing in the UI allows
this. I don't know if Apple has brought it back.

The lines you quoted had nothing to do with comparing the systems, just
noting that if they are working with two new Apple units, there won't be
any problem. It's just like using Homegroup in Win 7, except a tad
easier, especially if you have an Apple account. In this case, you
don't even need a home network.

Don't know if Homegroup is in 8 or not, I did my network the old
fashioned way here, since Homegroup is limited in the OS systems it will
work with.

It's not as easy to network a Mac to a PC as it should be, and it's
Apple's fault, not MS's. Maybe that's been corrected in Mavericks
and/or Yosemite, I don't know. And from what I've learned, Apple has
removed a couple of things from OS X that makes file management across a
network hard to accomplish. I don't know why, but that's another thing
I don't like.

If there are two new Apple computers, I don't understand trying to get
Tiger and XP to work with the printer, unless they just want to make it
work for whatever reason. Something I've been known to do.

--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.8.5
Old December 9th 14, 06:08 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Keith Nuttle

On 12/9/2014 10:46 AM, Ken Springer wrote:
[...]

Windows 8 has the Homegroup option, but I did not use it. I hooked the
Windows 8 unit into the LAN as a standalone computer that shared it
resources with the LAN. This removes Windows 8's control of the LAN.

Once I had Windows 8 up and running, I made the LAN connection through
the Network Connection Pane that pops up on the right side of the
desktop. I then went to the File explorer and shade those resources
that I wanted shared. I made sure that the Firewall permitted those
resources to access the LAN.

PS. I have not seen the Metro/Modern interface since I upgraded from
Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, and access all computer functions from the MS
Icon on the desktop toolbar.
Old December 9th 14, 10:35 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
micky

wrote:

On 12/7/14 1:59 PM, micky wrote:

[...]

See below.

Back when my Mac was new, I took it to my inlaws to show them a Mac.
They are all Windows users. Their son brought his HP XP laptop. It
took me about 10 minutes to get connected to their network. It took
their son 3 hours to get his XP laptop connected.

No joke.

I don't know if this is related. I took an old IBM Thinkpad on a car
trip to Dallas and most motels had a password I was supposed to enter.
I could almost never get it to work if there was a passwords. This was
running winME!

Now like my friend I have an Acer netbook running XP and it connects
just fine. The engine failed near Ashville, N.C and if I didn't have a
computer to shop for another car, I would have had to go buy one.

IMO, you guys are wasting your time with getting the old equipment to
work together.

No, I was talking about getting the new equipment installed and working.
He wants wireless so he can print easily from the laptop, wherever he is
at the time. I"m sorry I was confusing.

[...]

It will because it's still in the box. It's been in the box for 2
months and will remain there who knows how long.

Unless the problem is one of simply getting together to do it. G

Yeah, that's it.

IDE BIG MISTAKE Wesley Gigabyte Motherboards 1 December 13th 07 09:25 AM
Have I made a mistake? Bought from MESH :) Gary Whittle UK Computer Vendors 9 January 22nd 05 06:07 PM
Mistake turns into Second HD For PC Sam Storage (alternative) 2 October 3rd 04 07:17 PM
New Priinter BFella Printers 0 August 5th 04 12:50 AM
Just bought a 24" rounded ATA-133 cable--a mistake? Two mistakes? Flor Homebuilt PC's 5 October 5th 03 11:44 AM