No more Google Groups search?

Old November 9th 13, 01:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

Default No more Google Groups search?

On Friday, November 8, 2013 3:49:03 AM UTC+8, John Doe wrote:
jamesjaddah1755 gmail.com wrote:

John Doe wrote:

What is Google going to do with the USENET archive? It's a

waste if

we can't search it.

I just type Google Groups in the Google search field. It's not

perfect, but that's the only way.

Not perfect is a gross understatement. See if you can find Linus

Torvalds talking about his Linux kernel project...

I ignore/block most threads when the original post is improperly

formatted by Google Groups users.

I for one kind of like Google Groups and I also like the idea of getting rid of old messages from years ago. Do you really want everybody to read some flamebait you wrote a decade ago? Pretty soon, as storage gets cheaper, everything you ever wrote, bought or said will be archived for some government or organization to use against you and/or data mine. Is this the future we want?

If you have something important to say, there should of course be some free online depository or self-publishing website that archives for eternity, but otherwise not.

RL
Old November 9th 13, 04:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jon Danniken[_7_]

On 11/09/2013 05:15 AM, RayLopez99 wrote:

I for one kind of like Google Groups and I also like the idea of
getting rid of old messages from years ago. Do you really want
everybody to read some flamebait you wrote a decade ago? Pretty
soon, as storage gets cheaper, everything you ever wrote, bought or
said will be archived for some government or organization to use
against you and/or data mine. Is this the future we want?

If you have something important to say, there should of course be
some free online depository or self-publishing website that archives
for eternity, but otherwise not.

It's all still there, Ray, and accessible to any who do a standard
g**gle search. The issue is that the advanced search is gone, so you
can't specify the parameters of what you are looking for when you search
old usenet posts.

And trim your damn posts, ya noobie.

Jon

Old November 9th 13, 06:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,free.usenet,free.spirit
John Doe

And someday, this thing will be dead.
And hopefully take its Google Groups formatting with it...

--
See also Google Groups

Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2013 05:15:31 -0800 (PST)
Subject: No more Google Groups search?
From: RayLopez99 raylopez88 gmail.com

[...]

I ignore/block most threads when the original post is improperly formatted, like Google Groups users.
Old November 12th 13, 06:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

On Sunday, November 10, 2013 2:13:46 AM UTC+8, John Doe wrote:
And someday, this thing will be dead.
I ignore/block most threads when the original post is improperly formatted, like Google Groups users.

Killfile me then, John Doe! LOL

RL
Old November 12th 13, 07:06 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

RayLopez99 wrote:
On Sunday, November 10, 2013 2:13:46 AM UTC+8, John Doe wrote:
And someday, this thing will be dead.
I ignore/block most threads when the original post is improperly formatted, like Google Groups users.

Killfile me then, John Doe! LOL

RL

You realize there are free USENET servers available.
And proper clients that do quoting.

A free USENET news server will protect your IP
address, unlike Google Groups leaving the IP
in the header.

There really is no desirable aspect to using
Google Groups. Bad quoting, formatting (double spacing),
and exposing the IP are the reasons why you should
avoid it and go elsewhere. AIOE and E-S are
available options.

Paul
Old November 12th 13, 06:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Paul nospam needed.com wrote:

RayLopez99 wrote:

Killfile me then, John Doe!

Kill files are for newbies. Content filtering by ignoring a thread
branch is almost all I need.

LOL

Needs to remove the comedian lodged in the vacant area between its
ears.

You realize there are free USENET servers available. And proper
clients that do quoting.

A free USENET news server will protect your IP address, unlike
Google Groups leaving the IP in the header.

Like Eternal September. As of course you know, it is free and
allows reconstructing a thread. That is something some pay servers
don't even allow.

There really is no desirable aspect to using Google Groups. Bad
quoting, formatting (double spacing),

Some groups are chock-full of Google Groups users. Google has
become a blight on USENET, worse than AOL was.

Old November 21st 13, 07:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Paul nospam needed.com wrote:

There really is no desirable aspect to using Google Groups. Bad
quoting, formatting (double spacing), and exposing the IP

That IP thing is amusing.
Old November 25th 13, 03:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

On Tuesday, November 12, 2013 3:06:49 PM UTC+8, Paul wrote:

There really is no desirable aspect to using

Google Groups. Bad quoting, formatting (double spacing),

and exposing the IP are the reasons why you should

avoid it and go elsewhere. AIOE and E-S are

available options.

I found that to set up a newsreader, and do a test post, and all that sort of stuff, is at least a full day's work, maybe two, and there's no guarantee it will even work the first time.

Thanks however for the information.

RL
Old November 25th 13, 04:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Paul wrote:

There really is no desirable aspect to using

Google Groups. Bad quoting, formatting (double spacing),

and exposing the IP are the reasons why you should

avoid it and go elsewhere. AIOE and E-S are

available options.

I found that to set up a newsreader, and do a test post, and all
that sort of stuff, is at least a full day's work, maybe two,

If it's your precious time… Then confine your posts to Google Groups groups.
Or just go away. Problem solved.

--

Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 07:17:46 -0800 (PST)
From: RayLopez99 raylopez88 gmail.com

Old November 25th 13, 07:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

RayLopez99 wrote:
On Tuesday, November 12, 2013 3:06:49 PM UTC+8, Paul wrote:

There really is no desirable aspect to using

Google Groups. Bad quoting, formatting (double spacing),

and exposing the IP are the reasons why you should

avoid it and go elsewhere. AIOE and E-S are

available options.

I found that to set up a newsreader, and do a test post, and all that sort of stuff, is at least a full day's work, maybe two, and there's no guarantee it will even work the first time.

Thanks however for the information.

RL

Five minutes, tops.

I bet if someone made a bar bet with you, you
could do it in five minutes :-)

There are tutorial pages available, for specific USENET
News Readers. Some university web pages have such info.

The only sticking point, is when using an authenticating
USENET server like Eternal September (where you sign up
for an account), you need to tick the "send authentication"
box. As authentication protocol is optional, and the user
is expected to turn on authentication, if the server uses
a username and password.

This is why, for a noobie, I'd start them off with nntp.aioe.org.
Since no authentication tick box is needed, and you only
need to type into four lines of text boxes, to set it
up. And if you can't type stuff into four lines in five
minutes, you're busy eating too many donuts :-)

Paul