What's the trick to make Ethernet work on an HP 2100TN printer?

Old September 8th 13, 08:18 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.home.repair
Misha

Default What's the trick to make Ethernet work on an HP 2100TN printer?

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 07:18:11 -0400, David H. Lipman wrote:

Telnet and HTTP can be used to configure the HP JetDirect.

I had not even thought of telnetting to the printer.

Trying it out, I find it a bit cryptic.

$ telnet 192.168.1.116
Trying 192.168.1.116...
Connected to 192.168.1.116.
Escape character is '^]'.

HP JetDirect

Please type "?" for HELP, or "/" for current settings
?

To Change/Configure Parameters Enter:
Parameter-name: value Carriage Return

Parameter-name Type of value
ip: IP-address in dotted notation
subnet-mask: address in dotted notation
default-gw: address in dotted notation
syslog-svr: address in dotted notation
idle-timeout: seconds in integers
set-cmnty-name: alpha-numeric string (32 chars max)
host-name: alpha-numeric string (upper case only, 32 chars
max)
dhcp-config: 0 to disable, 1 to enable
ipx/spx: 0 to disable, 1 to enable
dlc/llc: 0 to disable, 1 to enable
ethertalk: 0 to disable, 1 to enable
banner: 0 to disable, 1 to enable

Type passwd to change the password.

Type "?" for HELP, "/" for current settings or "quit" to save-and-exit.
Or type "exit" to exit without saving configuration parameter entries

Old September 8th 13, 08:21 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.home.repair
Misha

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 07:18:11 -0400, David H. Lipman wrote:

HTTP can be used to configure the HP JetDirect.

I did try http://192.168.1.116, which required a Java installation:
http://i40.tinypic.com/2hdsgue.jpg

Once done, the web interface gave a web page of information:
http://i43.tinypic.com/2eam1cz.jpg

But, I couldn't see from that web page how to CHANGE anything.

Nor would I know what I'd want to change anyway.
I just wanted to print.

Old September 8th 13, 08:25 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.home.repair
Misha

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 07:18:11 -0400, David H. Lipman wrote:

A HP printer may use an embedded or externally attached JetDirect "Print
Server".

I had never heard of JetDirect until yesterday; so I'm still a novice.
I "think" this printer has the server attached where the ethernet cord
plugs into the side.

Telnet and HTTP can be used to configure the HP JetDirect.

Hmmm... I didn't "configure" JetDirect, so, I must be using whatever
defaults my friend had previously set.

I am a bit worried that the printer for both my friend and for me
was at a seemingly static IP address of 192.168.1.116.

Yet ...

I have DHCP configured ... so I'm shocked that DHCP just happened to
give the printer the *same* IP address it had at my friend's house.

So, I'm a bit worried that the IP address configuration is not obvious
to me. But if it works as it is, I'm ok with that. I hope.

Old September 8th 13, 08:25 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.home.repair
Misha

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 07:18:11 -0400, David H. Lipman wrote:

NOTE: It is easier to work with HP JetDirects using a static IP address.

How can I tell if my JetDirect is using a STATIC or a DYNAMIC IP
address anyway?

Old September 8th 13, 08:31 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.home.repair
Misha

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 07:18:11 -0400, David H. Lipman wrote:

Use of the HP Install Network Printer Wizard (INPW) software can help
automate the process on Windows, including the setup of the JetDirect
because it communicates with the JetDirect based upon the MAC address
and all HP JetDirects use a standard MAC address preamble.

I must admit, I was just shooting blindly, but, looking back, I never
did "configure" the printer.

All I did, in effect, was clumsily click on the operating system GUIs
for configuring a networked printer.

Reflecting back, this is what I did:

1. I plugged the printer ethernet port into the router; nothing happened.

2. Dumbfounded, I clicked around in Windows XP like a foraging ant
searching for crumbs, and, at one point, the wizards favored me, and the
printer showed up. http://i41.tinypic.com/vi39lt.jpg

3. I then did the same for Windows 7, and again, the wizards eventually
favored me for having clicked enough buttons.
http://i40.tinypic.com/2hoba78.jpg

4. I did the same for Linux, and yet again, the wizards allowed me to
print. http://i40.tinypic.com/2r4ika8.jpg

Point is, I never did 'configure' anything as I took all the defaults.

I would never have known (especially on Linux) what to put in the fields
anyway.

Old September 8th 13, 08:38 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.home.repair
Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds

In article ,
Misha wrote:

On Sat, 07 Sep 2013 23:08:50 -0600, PV wrote:
I would use the PCL 6 and print bundles.

OK. I'll install the one called:
4. hp LaserJet 2100 PCL 6 point and print bundles

You need to assign an IP address to the printer, one that resides within
your existing IP scheme.

It seems (from the printouts my friend provided with the machine) that
the HP LaserJet 2100TN printer had an IP address at my friend's house
of 192.168.1.116.

Interestingly, my router is at 192.168.1.1, and, when I printed a test
page, it showed the printer *still* has that IP address, but this time,
on my network.

Just to see what happens, I pointed my WinXP browser to that URL:
http://192.168.1.116 (on port 80)

And, well, it found *something* ...
http://i42.tinypic.com/2ilbm13.gif

so have you discovered how to make the print darker?
Old September 8th 13, 08:42 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.home.repair
Misha

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 12:38:48 -0700, Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds wrote:

so have you discovered how to make the print darker?

Nope.

All I know, at the moment, is how to make the thing print.

I never explicitly downloaded any drivers as I let the operating system
figure all that out. I never changed anything from the default yet.

I'm not even sure WHERE to go about looking to make the print darker,
since the HP LaserJet 2100TN has only two buttons, and no display.

I do have the user manual, so, I'll comb through that.
http://tinyurl.com/qdfvjks
Old September 8th 13, 08:43 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.home.repair
Bob F

Misha wrote:
[...]

The printer is configured for that address, so it doesn't use DHCP to get one.

Old September 8th 13, 10:13 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.home.repair
David H. Lipman

From: "Misha"

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 07:18:11 -0400, David H. Lipman wrote:

PS = PostScript and will use an associated PPD file.
PCL = Printer Control Language PCL5 = Printer Control Language version 5
PCL6 = Printer Control Language version 6

I always wonder which is the one to use, since all of them work,
and I have no need for more than one.

Which would you use?

I always shoot for PCL v6 and if I have a problem, I'll downgrade to PCL v5

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp
Old September 8th 13, 10:25 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.home.repair
David H. Lipman

From: "Misha"

[...]

In the Telnet session you can hit the key; "/" { no quotes } for current
settings, and hit "?" top see a list of interpreted commands.

For example the following line will disable IPX/SPX { you may not see what
you type }

ipx/spx: 0

Success is shown by the showing of an additional "" and then you can hit
"/" to see that change was made.

Typing "quit" will Save the configuration and close the Telnet session.

A way to test printer communication is by a Telnet session to port 9100
For example if the JetDirect IP is 192.168.1.3 you would type;

telnet 192.168.1.3 9100

That will open up a Telnet bsession with no feedback. just type anything
and everting and include hitting the "Enter" key.

When you close tghe Telnet session, whatever you type in the Telnet session
will be printed by the printer. This is a good way to test the Print Server
at a low level.