What's the trick to make Ethernet work on an HP 2100TN printer?

Old September 8th 13, 05:15 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.home.repair
Misha

Default What's the trick to make Ethernet work on an HP 2100TN printer?

In another thread, I mentioned a friend gave me a printer.
Here is a picture of the HP LaserJet 2100TN hooked up at my house:
http://i42.tinypic.com/kxq9t.gif

The friend had it on AppleTalk (Macintosh), but I'm Windows
and Linux (XP and Ubuntu).

I plugged the printer into the router by the ethernet cable, and
rebooted. Nothing happened on the WinXP PC connected to the same
router by ethernet cable. Nothing happened on the Ubuntu laptop
connected wirelessly by the same cable. Nor on the Android phone.

Probably I need drivers, but, when I went to the HP support page,
they had tons of drivers. But which one is the one needed to enable
the WinXP PC (and the other PCs connected wirelessly to the router)
to see the printer?
http://i42.tinypic.com/2ro52ty.gif

Which of those drivers will make the ethernet work?
1. hp LaserJet 2100 PCL 5e Printer Driver
2. hp LaserJet 2100 PCL 6 Printer Driver
3. hp LaserJet 2100 PCL 5e point and print bundles
4. hp LaserJet 2100 PCL 6 point and print bundles
5. 3 - HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PCL5
6. HP Printer Administrator Resource Kit

Or is there another trick to making the printer show up to
Windows XP? (The workgroup is "HOME" for the WinXP PC.)

Old September 8th 13, 06:08 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.home.repair
PV

Misha wrote:
[...]

You need to assign an IP address to the printer, one that resides within
your existing IP scheme. Install the drivers on the respective computer. I
would use the PCL 6 and print bundles. I have no idea about the Linux
machine.

If the printer drivers to not automatically find the printer you will have
to create a printer port pointed at the IP address of the printer

A very brief overview of how it's done.

--
PV

When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It is only difficult
for others.

It is the same when you are stupid

Old September 8th 13, 06:22 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.home.repair
Misha

Or is there another trick to making the printer show up to Windows XP?
(The workgroup is "HOME" for the WinXP PC.)

Reading this service manual:
http://www.lbrty.com/tech/Manuals_HP/2100sm.pdf

Page 140 seemed the most likely for network configuration, but,
there was really nothing there that could actually be used.

I went to the IP address of the printer using the web, and it
wanted me to install a Java plugin, so, I'm hoping Java will
get the HP 2100TN printer visible on the WinXP PC network.
http://i42.tinypic.com/2ilbm13.gif

Old September 8th 13, 06:31 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.home.repair
Misha

On Sat, 07 Sep 2013 23:08:50 -0600, PV wrote:
I would use the PCL 6 and print bundles.

OK. I'll install the one called:
4. hp LaserJet 2100 PCL 6 point and print bundles

You need to assign an IP address to the printer, one that resides within
your existing IP scheme.

It seems (from the printouts my friend provided with the machine) that
the HP LaserJet 2100TN printer had an IP address at my friend's house
of 192.168.1.116.

Interestingly, my router is at 192.168.1.1, and, when I printed a test
page, it showed the printer *still* has that IP address, but this time,
on my network.

Just to see what happens, I pointed my WinXP browser to that URL:
http://192.168.1.116 (on port 80)

And, well, it found *something* ...
http://i42.tinypic.com/2ilbm13.gif

Old September 8th 13, 06:36 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski

On 08 Sep 2013 04:15:58 GMT, Misha wrote:

I plugged the printer into the router by the ethernet cable, and
rebooted. Nothing happened on the WinXP PC connected to the same
router by ethernet cable.

Go to Control Panel Printers Add a new printer

On W7 you can go directly to Devices and Printers, but I forget on XP
so I know you can go through Control Panel
Old September 8th 13, 06:49 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.home.repair
Misha

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 01:36:47 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Go to Control Panel Printers Add a new printer

The funny thing is that my friend gave me only a power cord.

There is no direct connection to the printer from the Windows XP
desktop.

The WinXP desktop is connected to the home broadband router via
an ethernet cable just like the printer is currently connected
to that same router by an ethernet cable.

So when I go to Start-Settings-Control Panel in WinXP,
I can go to "Printers & Faxes-Add Printer", which takes me to
the "Welcoem to the Add Printer Wizard".

For the first time in my life, I check the "Network Printer"
radio dial even though there is a note at the bottom saying:
"To set up a network printer that is not attached to a print
server, use the "Local printer" option".
http://i43.tinypic.com/2w583fn.gif

Hmmm... do I have a print server or not?

Old September 8th 13, 07:09 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.home.repair
Misha

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 05:49:24 +0000, Misha wrote:

For the first time in my life, I check the "Network Printer"
radio dial even though there is a note at the bottom saying:
"To set up a network printer that is not attached to a print server, use
the "Local printer" option".
http://i43.tinypic.com/2w583fn.gif

Hmmm... do I have a print server or not?

Well, moving forward, blindly guessing, selecting this failed:
(o)Connect to a printer on the Internet or on a home or office network
URL = http://192.168.1.116

The error was:
Windows cannot connect to the printer...
http://i44.tinypic.com/iqy6j8.gif

So, I must not be specifying the printer address correctly.
Or, it's the wrong button to check in the printer control panel applet.

Old September 8th 13, 07:26 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.home.repair
Misha

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 06:09:27 +0000, Misha wrote:

So, I must not be specifying the printer address correctly.
Or, it's the wrong button to check in the printer control panel applet.

Going back to the web browser URL to the printer, after installing
Java on WinXP, and, after agreeing to an ominous warning:
http://i40.tinypic.com/2hdsgue.jpg

I now see that the web browser communicates just fine
with the printer.
http://i43.tinypic.com/2eam1cz.jpg

I think I'm close.

I just don't know how to tell WinXP explicitly what the
printer name is that is attached to the router.

And, Windows XP doesn't know how to find that printer which
is connected to the router by a similar wire that it is.

I do have a Win7 machine handy on the same network (wirelessly
though), so I'll see what the magic name might be from Windows 7
standpoints.

Old September 8th 13, 07:48 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.home.repair
Misha

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 00:35:51 -0700, Tony Hwang wrote:

Can you ping the printer?
Can you do ipconfig /all and ipconfig /renew
from the XP machine?

Pinging from Windows XP worked just fine:
C:\ ping 192.168.1.116
http://i43.tinypic.com/vqp7p3.gif

I ran the ipconfig commands, but, they didn't really
need to be run since the ping already found the printer.

So, the printer (which is connected to the router), is clearly
on the network.

The trick is figuring out how to tell Windows XP that the
printer is on the network.

I'm also trying to set it up as a TCP/IP printer,
whatever that is (in the Add New Printer Wizard):
http://i43.tinypic.com/afijae.gif

But, the problem is that there are so many wrong turns one
can take that I must be taking them all because I don't
know the proper sequence for setting up a networked printer.

Old September 8th 13, 08:06 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.hp.hardware,alt.home.repair,alt.comp.freeware
Misha

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 06:48:33 +0000, Misha wrote:

I'm also trying to set it up as a TCP/IP printer,
whatever that is (in the Add New Printer Wizard):
http://i43.tinypic.com/afijae.gif

But, the problem is that there are so many wrong turns one can take that
I must be taking them all because I don't know the proper sequence for
setting up a networked printer.

OK. I got it working by that method above.
Here is the entire sequence, documented in screenshots:
http://i41.tinypic.com/vi39lt.jpg

Whew! That was *not* intuitive!