New XPX 9100 - Roxio Creator Music CD's Have An Odd Problem - All the music but only One Track!

Old January 28th 11, 11:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Peter Greenstein

Default New XPX 9100 - Roxio Creator Music CD's Have An Odd Problem - All the music but only One Track!

I just got off the phone with Dell Tech Support who can hardly be bothered
with my problem.

For years I've used my Dell laptop to burn music cd's, either from mp3's or
..wav files and the discs play perfectly on all of my various CD players
around the house.

Now on my new Win 7 machine (well, bought last November), I started to burn
music cd's. I used Roxio Creator (and Winamp, too) create music cd's and the
strange result is that these discs have all the music, but none of the track
markers are accessible on regular CD players. My CD players indicate the
number of tracks but can't access any but the first track which then plays
the entire music program. The cd's play from start to finish with the timing
indicator passing right through the entire program as if it were all just
"Track 1."

I've never had such a problem with Roxio (or Winamp) on my Vista Dell
laptop.

About all Dell Tech Support could accomplish was to update the Firmware for
the DVD/CD burning drive but that didn't change anything. Complicating
matters is that Microsoft's Windows Media Player WILL burn music cd's
correctly. They play normally on all my CD players.

Dell suggested I re-install Roxio, but my system didn't come with any
program discs, I'd have to get that from Dell, right? Dell Tech Supported
wanted to hand me over to Dell's Software Solutions, which will charge a fee
for any help.

Has anybody ever heard of such an odd situation?

Does anybody have any suggetions?

peter

Old February 1st 11, 02:54 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

On 1/28/2011 5:59 PM, Peter Greenstein wrote:
essible on regular CD players. My CD players indicate the number of
tracks but can't access any but the first track which then plays the
entire music program. The cd's play from start to finish with the timing
indicator passing right through the entire program as if it were all
just "Track 1."

I've never had such a problem with Roxio (or Winamp) on my Vista Dell
laptop.

depending on the version of roxio you have on your november windows 7
machine and your vista machines they software may default to different
file systems. for instance i have seen that roxio 1.3 de (dell edition)
defaults to "iso+joliet" file system. it can be changed to include udf
which is probably what your older cd player needs.
Old February 1st 11, 04:07 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Peter Greenstein

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
On 1/28/2011 5:59 PM, Peter Greenstein wrote:
essible on regular CD players. My CD players indicate the number of
tracks but can't access any but the first track which then plays the
entire music program. The cd's play from start to finish with the timing
indicator passing right through the entire program as if it were all
just "Track 1."

I've never had such a problem with Roxio (or Winamp) on my Vista Dell
laptop.

depending on the version of roxio you have on your november windows 7
machine and your vista machines they software may default to different
file systems. for instance i have seen that roxio 1.3 de (dell edition)
defaults to "iso+joliet" file system. it can be changed to include udf
which is probably what your older cd player needs.

Christopher,

Thank you for this response (my only one?!).

Can you guide me to where in Roxio I can set the "file system" to "udf"?

Thanks for any help!

--
Peter Greenstein
http://www.wakefieldjazz.com/

Old February 1st 11, 07:03 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

On 2/1/2011 10:07 AM, Peter Greenstein wrote:

[...]

in roxio creator 10.3 de it is found under tools-options-data.
Old February 1st 11, 07:30 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Peter Greenstein

Thanks, Christopher. I'll give that a try, but I noticed that my Vista
laptop has the "iso-juliet" setting and burns CD's that play just fine on my
various cd players.

peter

t...

Old February 8th 11, 01:23 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jeff Nagell

I have the same problem , the udf change didn't work. Did you try it?
Jeff Nagell

Old February 8th 11, 01:29 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jeff Nagell[_2_]

The problem seems to be that disc copy isn't putting 2 seconds between
the tracks. I have uninstalled and reinstalled , added roxio SP4 ,still
nothing. I did find a free program called CDBurnerXP that works great.
I'm using windows XP with roxio creator 2009.

Old February 10th 11, 12:15 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Peter Greenstein

"Jeff Nagell" wrote in message

The problem seems to be that disc copy isn't putting 2 seconds between
the tracks. I have uninstalled and reinstalled , added roxio SP4 ,still
nothing. I did find a free program called CDBurnerXP that works great.
I'm using windows XP with roxio creator 2009.

Hi Jeff,

Wow! You're the first person I've heard to report the same problem. Dell is
mistified and what worries me is why they don't have others with this issue.
They keep telling me it must be a software issue. "Change your settings.
Goodbye." I keep asking them if they won't consider that it might be a
series of slightly defective CD/DVD burning drives. They say drives either
work or they don't work.

Yes, I tried changing the udf thing and it didn't make any difference. My
Dell laptop (Vista) from 2 1/2 years ago burns CD-R's perfectly.

Did I mention that Windows Media Player burns CD's perfectly? I tried
CDBurner briefly but it froze up so I uninstalled it. I guess I didn't give
it enough of a chance. Roxio does back up data files without a problem.

Since WMP burns fine and CDBurner works for you, we obviously have a way to
work-around this problem. But Roxio is a pretty nice program, makes decent
CD covers, etc. Itunes is a REALLY nice program but the CD's made with it
are also defective. Same with WinampPro, which I paid money for. I use that
program to burn flac format files directly to CD.

I sent a question to Roxio but haven't heard back from them. I think they do
support Dell users.

--
Peter Greenstein
http://www.wakefieldjazz.com/

Old February 10th 11, 04:28 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

On 2/9/2011 6:15 PM, Peter Greenstein wrote:

[...]

peter, you still have not mentioned exactly what software and what
version you are talking about. could be one of the 'de' (dell edition)
versions of roxio that has had a patch released to correct issues like
yours. very hard for any one to give a meaningful answer without
knowing what you have.
Old February 10th 11, 08:01 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Peter Greenstein

[...]

Hello Chris,

Sorry. Yes, it is the Dell edition of Roxio, version 10.3. Dell sent me a
disc of it to try reinstallation. I was told this disc has the latest patch.

But Itunes (vers 10.1.2.17) AND WinampPro (vers 5.6) produce the same
defective CD-R's. Multiple tracks burned, but my three CD players pass right
through every track point without the track index advancing, as if the
entire CD consisted of one long track.

Oddly, my old DVD player will play these discs correctly as will any
computer.

Perhaps my computer is trying to tell me that the CD is dead, kaput. It's
time to get an Ipod, an Ipad and get with it.

Well, I am on Facebook and I text while driving, so there!

--
Peter Greenstein
http://www.wakefieldjazz.com/