Not printing to HP Laserjet 4 Plus from Windows XP

Old May 30th 09, 03:21 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Keith Snyder

Default Not printing to HP Laserjet 4 Plus from Windows XP

I'm running a dual boot computer, Windows XP SP3 on one side, Fedora
Core 3 on the other.

Printing fails from the Windows side, but works fine from the Linux
side. So, it's not hardware. As an expedient I route printing from this
system to another computer on a home LAN. But I want to get printing fixed.

I tried reinstalling the HP Laserjet 4 Plus driver for XP, both from
www.downloads.com (CNET) and from HP. No luck.

Any ideas?

What about the driver for LPT1?
Old May 30th 09, 04:06 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bob Eager

On Sat, 30 May 2009 14:21:57 UTC, Keith Snyder wrote:

I'm running a dual boot computer, Windows XP SP3 on one side, Fedora
Core 3 on the other.

Printing fails from the Windows side, but works fine from the Linux
side. So, it's not hardware. As an expedient I route printing from this
system to another computer on a home LAN. But I want to get printing fixed.

I tried reinstalling the HP Laserjet 4 Plus driver for XP, both from
www.downloads.com (CNET) and from HP. No luck.

Are you using the right driver? If you use the 4M Plus one, it won't
work unless you have the PostScript option.

FWIW, I can print to my LJ 4+ printers from XP, using the drivers
supplied with XP. No special LPT1 driver.
--
Bob Eager
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:

Old May 31st 09, 01:14 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Warren Block

Keith Snyder wrote:
I'm running a dual boot computer, Windows XP SP3 on one side, Fedora
Core 3 on the other.

Printing fails from the Windows side, but works fine from the Linux
side.

Define "fails".

So, it's not hardware. As an expedient I route printing from this
system to another computer on a home LAN. But I want to get printing fixed.

I tried reinstalling the HP Laserjet 4 Plus driver for XP, both from
www.downloads.com (CNET) and from HP. No luck.

Any ideas?

What about the driver for LPT1?

If the printer is connected to the network, why would you use a parallel
port? For that matter, your printer might be set to only accept input
from Ethernet. The second part of these instructions tells how to set
up true network printing on Windows.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp....0d68c775d43f25

Old May 31st 09, 05:05 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Keith Snyder

Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 30 May 2009 14:21:57 UTC, Keith Snyder wrote:

I'm running a dual boot computer, Windows XP SP3 on one side, Fedora
Core 3 on the other.

Printing fails from the Windows side, but works fine from the Linux
side. So, it's not hardware. As an expedient I route printing from this
system to another computer on a home LAN. But I want to get printing fixed.

I tried reinstalling the HP Laserjet 4 Plus driver for XP, both from
www.downloads.com (CNET) and from HP. No luck.

Are you using the right driver? If you use the 4M Plus one, it won't
work unless you have the PostScript option.

FWIW, I can print to my LJ 4+ printers from XP, using the drivers
supplied with XP. No special LPT1 driver.

That's a possiblity, I might be trying the 4M driver, but I thought I
had Postscript option installed. Still, I'll check.

Failure to print was sudden with no obvious explanation. I turned the
machine over to my wife some time ago, and she uses it for email and web
browsing. I remain the family CTO, so she does no maintenance. She has
no admin privileges because her naive clicking on URLs worried me.

We shared the printer with a data switch. She got the hang of it. Then,
one day she could no longer print.

As an expedient, I set up her machine to print via LAN through my
machine. The printer is not on the LAN. It is connected by parallel port
to my machine.

But I'd still like to get her machine to print directly (via the data
switch) to the HP 4+.
Old May 31st 09, 05:19 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bob Eager

On Sun, 31 May 2009 16:05:06 UTC, Keith Snyder wrote:

We shared the printer with a data switch. She got the hang of it. Then,
one day she could no longer print.

If it's a manual one, the LJ4s were notorious (AFAIR) for blowing up the
parallel interfce if used with one that was just a switch.

Old June 1st 09, 09:14 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Keith Snyder

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Sun, 31 May 2009 16:05:06 UTC, Keith Snyder wrote:

We shared the printer with a data switch. She got the hang of it. Then,
one day she could no longer print.

If it's a manual one, the LJ4s were notorious (AFAIR) for blowing up the
parallel interfce if used with one that was just a switch.

--
Bob Eager
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Aha! That would explain it. The data switch is manual.

Thanks.