where can i buy a pentium M MBRD? ...

Old May 25th 07, 06:52 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
[email protected]

Default where can i buy a pentium M MBRD? ...

where can i buy a pentium M MBRD? ...

i'd like it to be new

and i'd like it to take the ULV pentium m processors. infact, where
can i buy them ? !

my aim is no fans. It's possible to get a small passive cooler for
the pentium m ulv processors. Another thing that may need cooling are
voltage regulators on the mbrd, and non active HSFs won't do that.
But maybe boards designed for ULVs are designed to run fine with
passive heatsinks without the voltage regulators overheating.

Old May 25th 07, 09:58 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Fishman >

wrote in message
ups.com...
where can i buy a pentium M MBRD? ...

i'd like it to be new

and i'd like it to take the ULV pentium m processors. infact, where
can i buy them ? !

my aim is no fans. It's possible to get a small passive cooler for
the pentium m ulv processors. Another thing that may need cooling are
voltage regulators on the mbrd, and non active HSFs won't do that.
But maybe boards designed for ULVs are designed to run fine with
passive heatsinks without the voltage regulators overheating.

You can get one bundled with most notebooks

Old May 26th 07, 11:10 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors
johannes

" wrote:

where can i buy a pentium M MBRD? ...

i'd like it to be new

and i'd like it to take the ULV pentium m processors. infact, where
can i buy them ? !

my aim is no fans. It's possible to get a small passive cooler for
the pentium m ulv processors. Another thing that may need cooling are
voltage regulators on the mbrd, and non active HSFs won't do that.
But maybe boards designed for ULVs are designed to run fine with
passive heatsinks without the voltage regulators overheating.

You would still need ventilation for the hard drive though, even more
so if there is little or no fan activity for the CPU.

Which motherboard format do you want? I have build one with a DFI
mboard (mini-itx), and it's very nice and quiet for internet surfing.
But you can also get ATX boards for this CPU e.g. AOpen.

Beware, that coolers are different formats and doesn't necessarily
fit your motherboard; it's not just a socket 479 cooler. Check
the screw hole distances. Hence I ended up with a redundant cooler
for an Aopen (54mm) :-(
Old May 27th 07, 12:52 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
[email protected]

On 25 May, 18:59, "Brownz \(Mobile\)"
where can i buy a pentium M MBRD? ...

i'd like it to be new

and i'd like it to take the ULV pentium m processors. infact, where
can i buy them ? !

my aim is no fans. It's possible to get a small passive cooler for
the pentium m ulv processors. Another thing that may need cooling are
voltage regulators on the mbrd, and non active HSFs won't do that.
But maybe boards designed for ULVs are designed to run fine with
passive heatsinks without the voltage regulators overheating.

I think (at the moment) the ulv cpus are bga only and not socketed.

I think you're right that ULV PGA ones don't exist
http://www.x86-guide.com/en/histoire...article76.html
Likie wikipedia pentium M list, it lists some ULVs with Banias core,
and some Dothan core. (for the sake of finding them it helps to know
the core!).. They are all BGA.

from whati 've read. the BGA (ball grid array) CPUs fit in like eggs
into an egg carton. The PGA (pin grid array) ones fit in as we all
know, like pins into pin holes.

I don't know. But why should a passive heatsink for BGA and PGA
differ? Surely the CPU is the same above. It's only where it goes into
the MBRD where it would differ.

Here is a passive heatsink , advertised as for the BGA kind
http://emea.kontron.com/index.php?id...&productid=591

They also advertise it as being for mini itx, though emailing them
asking them "why", they accepted my point that whether it's going into
a mini itx board or an atx board or whatever is irrelevant. So it'll
work for atx.

This is all theoretical anyway.. 'cos those passive heatsinks are only
tested on P-M ULVs. And all P-M ULVs are BGA.

Aopen do a couple of 945gm based motherboards iirc.

ok, thanks

Old May 27th 07, 12:57 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
[email protected]

On 26 May, 11:10, johannes wrote:
" wrote:

[...]

thanks for the warning!

i'm interested in atx.. or mini itx . Though only the mini itx if it
fits in an atx case. Would the screwholes match?

I have some nice atx cases! (chenbro screwless ones, i think called
'gaming bomb')

where did you get your cooler?

any place that supplies them for different screwhole differences?!

Old May 27th 07, 02:21 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
johannes

" wrote:

[...]

I build mine (about 18 month ago) into an old AT flip top case, which I've
had since my first 286 PC. That needed a lot of cutting on the backplane.
Fitting it into an ATX case would probably be much easier. But then why
not simply use an ATX board?

Got the board and Celeron M 1.4 from http://www.mini-itx.com/, only problem
was that they only stock one type CPU cooler, a very low profile 1u format
intended for their compact cases. I was hunting for a bigger cooler, hence
ordered the one for the Aopen board, but it couldn't possible fit as
clearances were very tight. The screw hole distances should be 49mm AFAIK.
I did find a whole catalogue of full height mini-itx Colermaster coolers
on the web, but no uk vender had them in stock or wanted to stock them.
It's simply too far off the mainstream. Eventually, I contacted Coolermaster
in Taiwan and had one directly sent over. Remember that was 18 months ago,
the situation might have changed.

The computer is used as my internet front, shielding the back end P4
computer, both using same monitor, keyboard and mouse via KVM.
Old May 29th 07, 08:34 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
[email protected]

" wrote:

[...]

I kept mine! Was a 386 16Mhz ! But even an AT case is far bigger than
the board, surely! And outside a case, my old VIA MBRD ran fine
without a fan.. If it were in a case it'd need a fan. I could flip
up the top of the case, but then it'd be a bit messy, and a monitor
couldn't go on top.

That needed a lot of cutting on the backplane.
Fitting it into an ATX case would probably be much easier. But then why
not simply use an ATX board?

AT cases are quite big. Would it really take that much more cutting to
get an ATX board in there?!

And hey, if you're gonna take the back off, why not cut a bit off the
sides too!!

In 2003,
I wasn't aware of low wattage e.g. ULV processors e.g. some intel
celerons (according to wikipedia celeron list). (the old ones, pre
celeron mobile, had ULV). I guess you could've put a passive heatsink
on one of those. If one could find one !!!

There were no massive heatsinks at that time. It was only later that
you got large ones that'd cool a p4 northwood.

The only way I knew to get a CPU without a heatsink was to use a MBRD
with the VIA chipset (e.g. from linitx).. Those have a VIA processor
with a little passive heatsink effectively glued on.

Those only came in mini itx.

I didn't care about the size.. Just the noise. So I could've put it in
an atx case.

I didn't. Why put it in any case when it can fit in my draw !!!!!!

And that applies nowadays too..

Lazyness is another reason.
But if putting it in a case, i'd put it an either an atx or a mini
itx, whichever is less hassle ! If I had an atx case with a
motherboard tray, i'd use that! (i'm assuming all the holes are in
the right place to fit a mini itx board in an atx case).. So, depends
on the cases.

Another reason for getting an atx board or a mini itx board
arbtirarily, and even putting a mini itx board in an atx case.. is
just 'cos it's quite easy now to get things off ebay! Sometimes I
can't be bothered to enter my address and payment details at a site.
snip
The computer is used as my internet front, shielding the back end P4
computer, both using same monitor, keyboard and mouse via KVM.-

using it as a router and firewall?

The thing that puts me off doing that is it's just another obstacle
that could fail. (I guess it's hooked up to a modem).. What if its
ethernet card goes down, or its MBRD goes down. I can't access the
internet. I've got to open it up. It takes effort, and boring time,
and more spare parts , which is more money, too.

At least with my router-modem, i've got one device that can fail,
which connects computers to the internet. And when that goes down
it's bad enough. I bought 2, waiting for the day !! And i've got a 56k
modem as backup, to reduce the misery.

Old May 29th 07, 11:14 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
johannes

" wrote:

[...]
The computer is used as my internet front, shielding the back end P4
computer, both using same monitor, keyboard and mouse via KVM.-

using it as a router and firewall?

No, no. I have a separate router-modem Netgear DG834 (wired). The
Celeron M 1.4 runs its own Windows XP as a fully separate computer.
The back end P4 is another computer rarely connected to the internet.
That is mainly used for my engineering work. The computers are linked
by PC-Linq.

I had a look at the site http://www.mini-itx.com again, and many new
things has happened since I build my system. They now have boards for
Core 2 Duo mobile CPU, that should be interesting. They also stock larger
coolers and even a passive cooler. I also considered the VIA boards for
a while, but seems quite low processing power, even compared to the
Celeron M 1.4, which is very close to Pentium M as it has 1MB cache.

A disadvantage with the mini-itx format is that you only get one free
PCI slot. My DFI board came with (only) 64M shared Graphics, but it
works surprisingly fine on my 20" 1680x1050 TFT.