Hard Disk recognition problems

Old June 29th 03, 01:48 AM
Dos Boot

Default Hard Disk recognition problems

Michael Cecil tried fingerpaints then chalk then a
spray can and some stencils but finally decided on his keyboard just
in time to make his Sat, 28 Jun 2003 22:14:14 GMT deadline to give us:

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 23:05:35 +0100, "John Smith" wrote:

Hi,
I have an HP Brio 500 Pentium iii and have tried to install a 60 Gig
hard drive.I am using win 2000. The bios hangs on boot when trying to
recognise the new drive. Maxtor recommend using the clj jumper as a possible
solution, but all this does is limit the disk size to 33g........not much of
a solution...huh?. Anyone got any other ideas. I have flashed the bios to
the latest version, and all other obvious solutions. All help appreciated.

Every motherboard has limitations. Flashing the BIOS will do only so much.
I'd be surprised that the uATX powersupply in your computer could even
reliably handle a modern ATA133 60GB hdd.

You should check your model in the IDE upgrade matrix he
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...odTypeId=12454

And for an extra tidbit if you've got it on the same IDE channel as
another drive using the Cable Select settings can give similar iiratic
results.

Win XP doesn't like a second hard drive! N9WOS General 9 January 6th 05 01:10 AM
Which newsgroup for hard disk problems bas General 3 December 19th 04 12:49 AM
Hard Disk - S.M.A.R.T Analysis problems *** JD General 6 September 22nd 04 05:25 AM
Protable USB hard disk ma General 3 August 1st 04 02:28 AM
RAID card for my PC?? TANKIE General 5 May 22nd 04 01:09 AM