Buying from other vendor through Amazon

Old January 3rd 07, 07:41 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.misc
Sandi

Default Buying from other vendor through Amazon

I go to Amazon UK for an MP3 player.
I find Amazon lists an MP3 player which will be supplied by Pixmania.

I would like to know this .....
Is Amazon acting as an agent (so my contract is with Pixmania) or as a
reseller (so my contract with Amazon)?

Comments suggest Pixmania is generally ok but when things go wrong (like
lost packages from France or non-UK spec equipment) then they do not
answer email and do not fix things quickly. All in all, would you use
them?
Old January 3rd 07, 11:15 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.misc
Steven Campbell

"Sandi" wrote in message
. com...
I go to Amazon UK for an MP3 player.
I find Amazon lists an MP3 player which will be supplied by Pixmania.

I would like to know this .....
Is Amazon acting as an agent (so my contract is with Pixmania) or as a
reseller (so my contract with Amazon)?

Comments suggest Pixmania is generally ok but when things go wrong (like
lost packages from France or non-UK spec equipment) then they do not
answer email and do not fix things quickly. All in all, would you use
them?

I wouldn't touch them.
I'd rather pay slightly more and get it from Amazon direct if they have an
alternative.

Old January 3rd 07, 11:37 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.misc
Chris Whelan

Sandi wrote:

I go to Amazon UK for an MP3 player.
I find Amazon lists an MP3 player which will be supplied by Pixmania.

I would like to know this .....
Is Amazon acting as an agent (so my contract is with Pixmania) or as a
reseller (so my contract with Amazon)?

Comments suggest Pixmania is generally ok but when things go wrong (like
lost packages from France or non-UK spec equipment) then they do not
answer email and do not fix things quickly. All in all, would you use
them?

My one experience of buying through an Amazon "partner" was not with
Pixmania, but was unsatisfactory to a degree that would stop me from doing
it again.

The item mysteriously increased in price during the transaction. It was
delivered very poorly packaged from a residential address, and took much
longer to arrive than promised.

In general, I get a better service from eBayers!

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Old January 3rd 07, 01:08 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.misc
ric

Sandi wrote:

I go to Amazon UK for an MP3 player.
I find Amazon lists an MP3 player which will be supplied by Pixmania.

I would like to know this .....
Is Amazon acting as an agent (so my contract is with Pixmania) or as a
reseller (so my contract with Amazon)?

Comments suggest Pixmania is generally ok but when things go wrong (like
lost packages from France or non-UK spec equipment) then they do not
answer email and do not fix things quickly. All in all, would you use
them?

i'd just go direct to pixmania. amazon cocked up my xmas order for a
new camera, which as it turned out, was being supplied via pixmania.
Amazon said "in stock: 2-3 days delivery", so I paid an extra 7 quid
for next
business day delivery.
3 days later: no camera. Phone amazon, get put through to Bangalore,
and am told that it's definitely been ordered - will have it a few days

later. When I moaned about the extra I'd paid for quick delivery I was

on hold for 10 minutes, then advised that it was actually shipping from

Pixmania_UK (an Amazon seller) - when I checked the details of my
transaction, this was correct. They refunded the extra I'd paid for
rapid shipment.
I then got an email with an estimated ship date of a few days in the
past.
I then phoned Pixmania with the Amazon reference number to be told they

had no record of the order - Amazon hadn't placed it as it turns out.
I phoned Amazon bangalore again, and after being on the phone for 20
minutes eventually was told that the camera was now being sold direct
from Amazon, after a 3-4 WEEK wait. Gee, thanks for nothing. I then
cancelled my order with Amazon, and ordered it straight from Pixmania
and got it in 3 days.
No manual, admittedly, but with a UK 13 amp plug...

I've always had great service from Amazon in the past but they *really*

irritated me this time.
Ric

Old January 3rd 07, 01:20 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.misc
Merkin

"Sandi" wrote in message
. com...
I go to Amazon UK for an MP3 player.
I find Amazon lists an MP3 player which will be supplied by Pixmania.

I would like to know this .....
Is Amazon acting as an agent (so my contract is with Pixmania) or as a
reseller (so my contract with Amazon)?

Comments suggest Pixmania is generally ok but when things go wrong (like
lost packages from France or non-UK spec equipment) then they do not
answer email and do not fix things quickly. All in all, would you use
them?

Have bought books through Amazon, both as seller and agent.

Had good fast delivery from both angles. In fact some of the people Amazon
act for as agents are in Malaysia/Hong Kong etc and were extremely
professional in dealing with my requests.

Pixmania, I have used direct and found no problem with. Sometimes you have
to be patient and sometimes you need to email and phone to resolve issues.
My purchases with them have been OK.

Old January 3rd 07, 02:04 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.misc
EHT

Sandi wrote:
I go to Amazon UK for an MP3 player.
I find Amazon lists an MP3 player which will be supplied by Pixmania.

I would like to know this .....
Is Amazon acting as an agent (so my contract is with Pixmania) or as a
reseller (so my contract with Amazon)?

Comments suggest Pixmania is generally ok but when things go wrong (like
lost packages from France or non-UK spec equipment) then they do not
answer email and do not fix things quickly. All in all, would you use
them?

I once tried to use Pixmania to buy a video camera, and I won't ever
make that mistake again. They took the money from my account and then
decided to cancel the order. Getting the refund was a long, drawn out
affair. It took several emails and phone calls to them and to my bank
over the course of a couple of months to get me back to where I started.
Old January 3rd 07, 05:56 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.misc
Schrodinger

"Sandi" wrote in message
. com...
I go to Amazon UK for an MP3 player.
I find Amazon lists an MP3 player which will be supplied by Pixmania.

I would like to know this .....
Is Amazon acting as an agent (so my contract is with Pixmania) or as a
reseller (so my contract with Amazon)?

Comments suggest Pixmania is generally ok but when things go wrong (like
lost packages from France or non-UK spec equipment) then they do not
answer email and do not fix things quickly. All in all, would you use
them?

I recently bought some Headphones from another seller via Amazon. 3 weeks
later they hadn't turned up. Amazon aren't interested unless x number of
days has gone (I think it's 30). I emailed the seller 3 times and received
no reply.

I left a negative on the site and the headphones arrived on the last day
possible before Amazon would get involved. (I removed the negative.)
Bizarrely I received another set 4 days later.

Anyway, I won't be dealing with a non Amazon seller for anything other than
books in the future.

Oh, and Pixmania have an awful reputation for service.

Old January 3rd 07, 06:41 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.misc
Gaz*2

I would like to know this .....
Is Amazon acting as an agent (so my contract is with Pixmania) or as a
reseller (so my contract with Amazon)?

After my attempts to buy from Amazon before Christmas I would rather use a
marketplace seller.
Ordered 5 items from Amazon on 24th November (all Christmas presents so no
rush), all were in stock and I chose the budget delivery, was advised that
delivery would be between 8th - 15th December, 2 items arrived in good time,
on the 15th I checked for progress on the other three and all were estimated
for delivery on 28th December. Cancelled them with Amazon and ordered all 3
with different market place sellers on 15th December, all three were there
within 5 days and all cheaper than the Amazon price even after delivery
costs.

Comments suggest Pixmania is generally ok but when things go wrong (like
lost packages from France or non-UK spec equipment) then they do not
answer email and do not fix things quickly. All in all, would you use
them?

Pixmania generally OK?? I think you will find divided opinions on them but
plenty of bad press in this group previously, personally I wouldnt be
inclined to take the risk.

Old January 3rd 07, 09:58 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.misc
DubDriver

"milou" wrote in message
On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 06:41:14 GMT, Sandi wrote:
[snip]
Disadvantages Customer Service - horrendous, the worst I've ever
known!

Not surprising once you find out who owns a major part of Pixmania!

Old January 3rd 07, 10:58 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.misc
Gizmo.

"EHT" wrote in message
Sandi wrote:
I go to Amazon UK for an MP3 player. I find Amazon lists an MP3 player
which will be supplied by Pixmania.

I would like to know this .....
Is Amazon acting as an agent (so my contract is with Pixmania) or as a
reseller (so my contract with Amazon)?

Comments suggest Pixmania is generally ok but when things go wrong (like
lost packages from France or non-UK spec equipment) then they do not
answer email and do not fix things quickly. All in all, would you use
them?

I once tried to use Pixmania to buy a video camera, and I won't ever make
that mistake again. They took the money from my account and then decided
to cancel the order. Getting the refund was a long, drawn out affair. It
took several emails and phone calls to them and to my bank over the course
of a couple of months to get me back to where I started.

And the smart amongst us just call our credit card company and put the
charge into dispute.

Warning for those buying a new printer Lyn Buchanan Printers 72 June 7th 05 12:07 PM
Amazon UK Seb UK Computer Vendors 3 February 4th 05 07:25 PM
Odd (unenforceable) term in Redstore's buying procedure [email protected] UK Computer Vendors 4 January 5th 05 05:18 PM
Gateway buying Emachines Yousuf Khan General 0 January 30th 04 09:10 PM
Opnion about buying vs building desktop system Joseph General 3 August 29th 03 02:45 AM