ExpressCard devices

Old December 13th 06, 10:50 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Jim Howes

Default ExpressCard devices

We have equipment that plugs into parallel ports.

Not printer ports, but parallel ports (i.e. DB25, not C-34 shaped plugs)

Such equipment is usually driven by software pushing and pulling bytes into and
out of I/O registers at the parallel port's I/O address.

In ye-olden days, such things were as simple as lobbing inb and outb
instructions at 0x378 and thereabouts.

Then came PCI; same general idea, but different I/O ports. A little bit of
PCI-fu, and we can find the ports automatically, and do the necessary I/O.

Now we discover that Dell have 'engineered away legacy ports' (I.e. done away
with things that are actually useful). So we have been using PCMCIA (16-bit) or
CardBus (32-bit) cards, which behave either as ISA or PCI devices. (Dell PC's,
being Dell PC's, do not work with ISA cards)

Today, it seems, they have replaced the perfectly usable CardBus slot with
ExpressCard. It was probably only a matter of time, as ExpressCard is to
CardBus what PCI-Express is to PCI.

Problem is, I can find no Parallel-port cards for an ExpressCard slot. In fact,
I can find NO CARDS WHATSOEVER (of any type) for an ExpressCard slot.

Before anyone suggests using a USB Parallel port, don't. The I/O concept is
entirely different. Besides, we now have USB2.0 devices (which, because Dells
are Dells, do not work with some models for reasons only known to Dell)

Does anyone make anything for an ExpressCard slot? It appears to be an
interface that exists solely for it's own sake.

Jim
Old December 13th 06, 07:56 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Jim Howes
writes

Does anyone make anything for an ExpressCard slot?

No idea. Had not heard of it until I saw your post.

Bear in mind that devices are only just starting to appear for PCIe x1
slots. And how long have those been around? A couple of years?

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
Old December 13th 06, 10:49 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Mike Redrobe

"Jim Howes" wrote
Problem is, I can find no Parallel-port cards for an ExpressCard slot. In
fact,
I can find NO CARDS WHATSOEVER (of any type) for an ExpressCard slot.

Parallel ports aren't exactly common or current anymore though are they?
Can't you update the software/hardware you are using?

There are expresscard serial adaptors though, so parallel ports may follow.
Currently there is an expresscard- PCI slot docking station, but that's
expensive and non-portable.

http://froogle.google.co.uk/froogle?...sscard&show=dd

--
Mike