CPU FSB speed help

Old April 22nd 06, 04:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default CPU FSB speed help

Hi all, im new to making my first skt A mobo pc and need some help with my
next step - the CPU.

Ive bought the mobo from ebay and it will arive soon its an ASUS A7V8X-MX SE
Socket A M/B I got the manual from the internet to find information about
the CPU and the FSB. The FSB is 333/266/200 MHz and the CPU is AMD Athlon XP
up to 3200+ Thoroughbred / Barton core support , I have seen two CPU's on
ebay one's an "AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 333 FSB realtime 2083 MHZ" and the other
is an "AMD ATHLON XP 2400+ 266MHz FSB realtime 2.0 GHZ" I can use both these
CPUs but since there is not much difference in realtime I was going to go
for the 2400+ but I need to know if the faster FSB of the 2600+ will make a
big speed difference, this Pc will be used as a home Pc for camera pictures
and a few games.

Kind regards
Shaun B.

Old April 22nd 06, 06:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

[...]

Yes 333 MHz FSB is better than 266. Will you notice a difference between a
2400+ and a 2600+? Probably not. But for the $3 difference you may as well
get the best for the money. There is a theory that running RAM (PC2700=333
MHz) speed in synch with CPU yields improved performance. You can use any
Socket 462 (A) 333 MHz chip. The Athlons are now called Semprons. You can
even find a Sempron 3300+ socket 462 if you look hard enough ($129).
http://www.pricewatch.com/cpu/