PC won't turn on. It seems it isn't a power-supply problem..

Old April 22nd 06, 01:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default PC won't turn on. It seems it isn't a power-supply problem..

Greetings everyone...

The reason I'm writing this is because I'm having some problems with
one of my computers. It all happened when I shutdown the machine, it
shutdown normally, but the next time I tried to turn it on, it didn't.
It seemed like a power supply kind of problem, since, it did not do
anything at all. Trying to turn it on, was like trying to turn on a
computer whose cable is unplugged. I switched its power supply with
another one I had laying around. But, still... it did exactly the
same thing. I'm sure the power supply works, because I tested it on
other computer. Could it be that the motherboard is damaged? How can
I know the problem? If you any of you guys could point me out to a
online hardware troubleshooting guide (or perhaps enlight me with
your knowledge and experience), it would be most appritiated. Sorry
if this thread seems a bit dumb, but I rarely work with PC hardware
or anything. I try to take best care out of my machines and its rare
that they have (cost-effective, fixable) hardware problems.

Again, thanks for the future replies and help any of you may bring.
Cheers.

Old April 22nd 06, 02:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

The reason I'm writing this is because I'm having some problems with
one of my computers. It all happened when I shutdown the machine, it
shutdown normally, but the next time I tried to turn it on, it didn't.
It seemed like a power supply kind of problem, since, it did not do
anything at all. Trying to turn it on, was like trying to turn on a
computer whose cable is unplugged. I switched its power supply with
another one I had laying around. But, still... it did exactly the
same thing. I'm sure the power supply works, because I tested it on
other computer. Could it be that the motherboard is damaged? How can
I know the problem?

The motherboard is the most likely suspect at this time since
you tried another power supply. Did you make sure that the
power-on wire from the front of the case is attached properly?

---
Kevin Chalker, Owner (KC COMPUTERS)
E-mail: Web: www.kc-computers.com
Internet dealer since 1991!!! See WWW.RESELLERRATINGS.COM!!!

Old April 22nd 06, 04:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default PC won't turn on. It seems it isn't a power-supply probl

Yes, I mean, I'm almost sure of it. The motherboard is a AG8-V or
something, don't remember exactly right now.. anyways, I forgot to
say, that when I tried the power supply (both of them), the
motherboard showed some weird numbers... that's when I was sure
electricity was going through that couldn't be the power supply...
anyways, I'm almost sure it's the motherboard... I just want second
opinions... I want to make sure.

Thanks for your time and reply.

Old April 22nd 06, 08:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

a neighbor had a similar problem, and it turned out to
be the power cable.
Also, if the recepticle is on a switch, and it's switched
off, then there is no elec reaching the computer which would also cause your
symtoms.
sometimes its the most basic things, and they are ofter over looked because
we take them for granted.

Mike

.. .