Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 & Windows XP Media Edition

Old April 8th 06, 10:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.webcam

Default Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 & Windows XP Media Edition

I have read Internet articles for hours and hours on the best webcam. By
best I mean ease of use, clarity, dependability etc. I didn't like the
Logitech's QuickCam Fusion because the picture is too wide and I don't care
much for the panoramic views when I'm trying to webcam and chat with a
family member.
Logitech's QuickCam Pro 4000 started looking like a good bet for me and I
like the fact that you can zoom in and the camera tracks you. Then I read
quite a few unfavorable reviews. People were having problems with Windows
XP Media Edition and I was wondering if this was a fluke or something more
common? Most of the reviews that complained of compatibility issues were
older and they were posted at Epinions.com. I have to wonder if these
issues have been worked out? Most of the favorable reviews were posted at
Amazon.com. I also looked at the professional reviews but I like the
personal reviews that people send in to get a bigger picture of any problems
that they might have. Some people always seem to have trouble with
computers and peripherals.

I guess that Logitech no longer sells the Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000 and is
selling the Logitech QuickCam Pro 5000. The Pro 5000 is less money than the
Pro 4000. Update: I was wrong Logitech does show where you can buy the Pro
4000 but doesn't show it in their line-up of cameras. But I wonder which is
better?

I searched alt.comp.periphs.webcam at Google groups to see if my question
had already been answered. I did see some postings but none of them
answered my questions.

I also wonder what camera, of any brand, works best with Windows XP Media
Edition and doesn't constantly crash or have other compatibility problems.
Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Jeb