separate line in jack ?

Old January 21st 06, 09:11 PM posted to creative.products.sound_blaster.live

Default separate line in jack ?

is there any creative card that would give me the option to
record that also has a separate line in jack ?

In other words, I want the "what u hear" capability -- the
option to record what you're listening to, as well as a
separate jack for the line in.

If not, is there a comparable sound cardfrom another vendor
that would provide both of these options?

I need a good line in because I use speech recognition
software with an MAudio preamp which feeds into the line in
jack.

TIA

Louise
Old January 22nd 06, 03:17 AM posted to creative.products.sound_blaster.live

"louise" wrote in message
is there any creative card that would give me the option to record that
also has a separate line in jack ?

Separate from microphone? Possibly not; I don't know. Or did you mean
separate from something else?

Current Sound Blasters use the same jack for microphone and line in, but
they let you choose which one it is at any given time.

In other words, I want the "what u hear" capability -- the option to
record what you're listening to, as well as a separate jack for the line
in.

Many sound cards allow that. I just looked at 3 computers (one with an
ancient Sound Blaster PCI 16, one with a Sound Blaster Live! 24, and one
with sound on the motherboard) and they all did. Most of them call it
"Stereo Mix" instead of "What U Hear" and it's hidden on the recording menu
until you enable it. See:
www.covingtoninnovations.com/audio/recradio

Old January 22nd 06, 06:35 AM posted to creative.products.sound_blaster.live

mc wrote:
"louise" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for your help and the link. That's a great site for
some of the info I'm trying to figure out.

Louise
Old January 22nd 06, 02:44 PM posted to creative.products.sound_blaster.live

Can you tell me a little more precisely what it is that you need to do? I
can probably help you figure it out.

Old January 23rd 06, 05:38 AM posted to creative.products.sound_blaster.live

mc wrote:
Can you tell me a little more precisely what it is that you need to do? I
can probably help you figure it out.

Thanks a lot - and thanks for your patience in reading the
long description below.

Audigy 2ZS card and Win XP Pro - Asus motherboard, P4, lots
of memory and processor power.

I have a handheld microphone which goes into an M Audio
preamp (called Audio Buddy). This plugs into the "line in"
jack.

I would like to be able to also plug a headset/microphone
directly into the soundcard or with a USB sound pod.

The reason I want both is that I would like to be able to
dictate from either the handheld through the line in, OR the
headset microphone.

I use Dragon Naturally Speaking speech recognition software.
You have to create a new user (profile) for each dictation
source used because you have to "train" the program to
recognize your speech.

The program will not recognize another input source other
than the line in so that it will not allow me to create a
second user with a different input source.

The surround mixer does change the record input from the
line mix to microphone but it still doesn't seem to have any
effect upon the program's ability to recognize another input
source.

I tried using a USB sound pod for my second input source and
the same thing happened. This did work in the Windows
recorder but it did not work in Dragon NaturallySpeaking.

It is very hard to get good tech support on this issue
because the preamp isn't "supported" and the speech
recognition people know nothing about it and simply say it
is not supported. Creative doesn't really know a lot about
Dragon NaturallySpeaking and perhaps not very much about the
Audio Buddy either.

There is some weird interaction between the Dragon software
and the Creative software -- at least that's my latest
theory. Even when I use the USB sound pod, the creative
software is still loaded.

Another piece of information if this would shed any light:
whenever I start Dragon NaturallySpeaking, it automatically
puts an X on the line-in. In other words, when you start
the program, it sets itself up for microphone plugged into
mic in jack. When I checked with their tech support, this
is how the software is supposed to operate. So, whenever I
do load the speech recognition software, I also have to go
into the surround mixer and take the x out of the line in so
that my present set up can work.

The headset and the USB pod work perfectly on my portable,
so I know that those two pieces of hardware are fine. I
have also done a repair install of the Dragon software and
it made no difference; I don't think the program
installation is corrupted.

Everyone I speak to who knows the Dragon software at all has
a "hunch" that it has something to do with the fact that the
sound card has a mix for the input and that it confuses the
Dragon software setup.. But no one is sure.

The other issue about "what u hear" is that I do a fair
amount of recording of music off the net - therefore, I want
that capability as well - but I gather most soundcards
actually have that.

I hope this is at least a little clear and if you have any
suggestions, I certainly would appreciate it.

Thanks again.

Louise

Old January 23rd 06, 02:13 PM posted to creative.products.sound_blaster.live

OK, so, in summary: You have 2 microphones. One is an ordinary computer
microphone on a headset. The other microphone works through a preamplifier
and goes to "line in" on the sound card.

So you need a sound card on which "line in" and "microphone" are 2 different
jacks.

That is a reasonable request, but I don't know which current sound cards
have that setup. Sound Blaster Live 24 defininitely does not. Sound
Blaster PCI 16 does, but it's probably obsolete by now. I have one of each.

Can others chime in with suggestions? I know that with Sound Blaster
products, you can go to www.creative.com, under support, and read the
instruction leaflet for each card.

Old January 23rd 06, 05:19 PM posted to creative.products.sound_blaster.live

Dear Louise,

One more thing. Please contact me by e-mail,
m c at u g a dot e d u
if you can't find a card that meets your needs. I have a Sound Blaster 16
PCI that might suit you. Thanks.

mc

Old January 23rd 06, 05:20 PM posted to creative.products.sound_blaster.live

One last thought. You can have 2 soundcards in the same computer and select
between them in software.

I know that Asus sound-on-the-motherbard and Sound Blaster Live 24 are
compatible.

Old January 23rd 06, 10:31 PM posted to creative.products.sound_blaster.live

.. .

"louise" wrote in message
mc wrote:
[...]

AFAIK every card I've owned have separate Mic and Line-In jacks. My SB Live
and Audig2 do for sure. The problem seems to be Dragon only wanting to use
the Mic port.
Go into the Windows(not Creative) Sound Control Panel and see if you can
select the mixer device you want to use, before running Dragon. I've not
used a USB sound device but hopefully there will be 2. Does the pod show
having a Mic port?
I've read the post 6 time and I'm still not sure I understand exactly what's
going on but I'll give some info that may help you experiment. Wave and MIDI
are digital sound on the computers bus. All of the others are physical ports
to the sound card. Analog mix are hardware ports and What You Hear is Analog
Mix + Wave.
It might help understanding if you could post a link for the pods website.

Old January 24th 06, 12:05 AM posted to creative.products.sound_blaster.live

"T Shadow" wrote in message

AFAIK every card I've owned have separate Mic and Line-In jacks. My SB
Live
and Audig2 do for sure.

Sound Blaster Live 24 does not; nor (probably) does Audigy. They started
doubling up Line In with Mic when they needed more jacks for surround sound
speakers.

[...]

line conditioner John Doe Homebuilt PC's 22 December 13th 05 01:33 AM
aopen cdrw - 'session fixation error'? c p General 0 May 10th 05 08:47 PM
Nero help needed foghat Cdr 0 May 31st 04 08:23 PM
Can't get CD Burner to Burn Nottoman General 2 December 22nd 03 05:47 PM