Recovering data from LaCie array?

Old April 10th 08, 03:18 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
richard

Default Recovering data from LaCie array?

I have a Lacie big fisk extreme - 1TB. Inside are 2 x 500G IDE drives.
Does the LAcie controller board set these up as RAID0? The unit stopped
working when I pulled the plug on it without first 'ejecting' it from the
system tray as recommended. It doesn't show up in Windows Explorer, but
the Windows System recognises it on the USB port, and it appears in Disk
Management as an unallocated 932G drive. (After being plugged in for
several hours only, which is interesting, has the array been rebuilt?) So
I am assuming that some data has become corrupted rendering the FAT
unreadable. Can someone point me to any advice on how to recover the
data? Is there some software available? It isn't worth the $1000 it
would cost for professional data recovery.

Incidentally I had 3 out of 4 LaCie drives fail with the 'click of
death'. I figured the problem was overheating due to poor engineering.
Bought 4 more, took the cases off and fitted fans to them, with an intake
vent on the other side. Zero faults in about 6 months so far. How can a
company make such a stupid engineering error? And why do Seagate give
them warranty onn the drives used in such conditions? It beggars belief.

thanks.

Old April 10th 08, 04:08 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Cydrome Leader

richard wrote:
I have a Lacie big fisk extreme - 1TB. Inside are 2 x 500G IDE drives.
Does the LAcie controller board set these up as RAID0? The unit stopped

It has to be if the usable capacity was just under 1TB.

working when I pulled the plug on it without first 'ejecting' it from the
system tray as recommended. It doesn't show up in Windows Explorer, but
the Windows System recognises it on the USB port, and it appears in Disk
Management as an unallocated 932G drive. (After being plugged in for
several hours only, which is interesting, has the array been rebuilt?) So

you cannot rebuild raid0.

I am assuming that some data has become corrupted rendering the FAT
unreadable. Can someone point me to any advice on how to recover the
data? Is there some software available? It isn't worth the $1000 it
would cost for professional data recovery.

check out runtime.org for their recovery software. I believe there is a
version for FAT you can test out for free, just to see if anything can be
salvaged.

Incidentally I had 3 out of 4 LaCie drives fail with the 'click of
death'. I figured the problem was overheating due to poor engineering.
Bought 4 more, took the cases off and fitted fans to them, with an intake
vent on the other side. Zero faults in about 6 months so far. How can a
company make such a stupid engineering error? And why do Seagate give
them warranty onn the drives used in such conditions? It beggars belief.

they're probably oemed drives with no end user warranty support from
seagate, as well as a with rather limited warranty to lacie in the first
place.

Lacie peddles their stuff to mac users and the like. None of which are
technical.