Need Help troubleshooting WinXP or PC problem

Old June 27th 03, 05:27 AM
Cleveland Turner

Default Need Help troubleshooting WinXP or PC problem

I have built several computers over the years and this is the first
time I am unable to diagnose the problem.
I am running Windows XP (first-time user) and PC is running EXTREMELY
SLOW...

1. I have many application hangs and have difficulty multitasking
between any two open programs. the performance monitor shows the
processor at locked at 100% for 15-25 sec for minor commands.

2. Printing takes about 45 seconds to begin and when you look at the
job it reports a file that is much greater than the actual file. For
example, I printed a 32kb document and the que shows the job as 5 mb.

3. I have turned off all the fancy XP graphics with no noticeable
change.

I cannot determine if it is a PC problem or an XP problem although I
believe it is the Latter.

I built a computer 6 months ago with no problems but I continued to
use Win98se.

Here are my components

AMDXP 1900
ELIXIR DDR PC2700 333MHZ 256MB (No problems on other PC)
MSI KT4V-L/KT400/ATX/AUD/8X AGP
WD 60g 7200
Geforce4 64mb
1 Taisol CGK760092 Copper Insert w/30CFM Delta
Generic case
cdrom
modem

This system runs hotter than the prior system at about 55 C. My other
system using practically the same setup runs at 48C.

Any suggestions what could be causing the slow response? This system
seemed to run fine when I had win98se installed for a short time. I
did do a fresh install of WinXP and did not upgrade over Win98.

Old June 27th 03, 05:53 AM
Strontium

Very good listing of components/symptoms. Overall, it sounds to me that you
have some incompatibility on the DMA front. Have you checked CMOS settings,
regarding your drives? I've only seen this behavior (with the exception of
an 'upgrade' over an existing Win98 installation), where some settings were
not correct regarding HDD/CDROM, in the GUI. Also, what drivers are you
using for the GF4? Just one thing left to ask, below...

-
Cleveland Turner stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

I have built several computers over the years and this is the first
time I am unable to diagnose the problem.
I am running Windows XP (first-time user) and PC is running EXTREMELY
SLOW...

1. I have many application hangs and have difficulty multitasking
between any two open programs. the performance monitor shows the
processor at locked at 100% for 15-25 sec for minor commands.

Which processes?

[...]

You, probably, thought you weren't going to die, today...SURPRISE!"

-The main character in Postal 2

Old June 27th 03, 06:24 AM
Jim

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811493

Just a guess, but didn't the above create lots of performance problems for
many XP users?! If you have this Hotfix listed under Add/Remove Programs,
you might try removing it.

Jim

Old June 27th 03, 04:05 PM
Pen

As an add to Jim's excellent suggestion, 811493 definitely
caused these kind of problems. Uninstall it and then go to M$
update and re-download. They have fixed it recently.

thlink.net...

Old June 27th 03, 09:39 PM
Cleveland Turner

Thanks for the suggestions. I am willing to try anything right now. I
am not at home yet so I cannot check to see if it works. I have the
PNY Geforce4 4200 64mb video card and I used the drivers that came
with the card. I updated automatically to the latest version before
testing out the system. I may try going back to the older drivers. I
never considered that the video driver may be the problem but I had
eliminated most everthing else. I'd already looked at the CMOS and
everything looked correct.

An application will hang just by me clicking from one program to
another on the taskbar. It is not isolated to any individual
programs. It happens with all of them. I'll have time to try all the
suggestion by Saturday. I'll let you know the outcome
Thanks.

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 12:38:43 -0500, "Strontium"
wrote:

Great suggestions, both. But, I just don't see how this should be a factor
on a fresh install. Clue me in, please. Automatic updates from the past
should not even be a factor on a fresh install. Also, I've yet to see the
lack of the latest 4 in 1's cause what this person is describing. The
defualt drivers seem to be OK. Yes, they need to be updated...But, the
performance this person is seeing does not gel with that. This person is
describing something very drastic. To say it's an auto update from Windows
or old 4 in 1's? Come on.... You can do better, than that. I've seen xp
boxes run for close to a year without updating the VIA chipset. I've, also
seen people religiously use automatic updates (foolish, IMO). I don't think
that's the issue. If I'm wrong, I will accep that. I've never been one to
not be able to admit he's wrong.

Old June 28th 03, 06:46 AM
Strontium

No need to get 'touchy'.

I was saying that, based on this OP's description, that my first guess would
not be the video drivers and/or VIA 4 in 1's. Overall, it seems to me to be
either a DMA or ATAPI issue. The default drivers, that come with XP for
video and chipset should not cause this drastic of a problem. OP will not
give specifics on 'which' processes are eating up CPU time, either. Saying
that it's random. I was not attacking. Merely throwing my worthless 2cents,
into the pile. Take it, for what it's worth...

Read into what I said, what you wish. It's a free world (supposedly).

-
JAD stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

So your saying you never heard of a video card dramatically slowing
down the system when the AGP driver is blah? Or the transfer of data
being spastic or corrupted when the busmaster drivers were
old/corrupt? Since no one here but the OP knows exactly, and in what
order, he did things to get to this end, I was merely
guessing/suggesting a RE-install of those drivers as they were not
mentioned and the busmaster quirk has been a long time discussion.
That "smart gart" is a HUGE culprit lately. Most likely we will never
know 'if' or 'how' he fixed the damn thing anyway.......

--

"Pen" wrote in message
As an add to Jim's excellent suggestion, 811493 definitely
caused these kind of problems. Uninstall it and then go to M$
update and re-download. They have fixed it recently.

thlink.net...

Old June 28th 03, 04:04 PM
Bernie

This does sound exactly like the 811493 update problem. I had the same
problem until I uninstalled that update.

Old June 28th 03, 04:08 PM
JAD

well. its seems you are agreeing then turning it around....the 4in's1 ARE
the video and IDE drivers for the MB/chipset. Never met a WDM i liked, less
it was made by the manufacturer of the hardware.

"Pen" wrote in message
As an add to Jim's excellent suggestion, 811493 definitely
caused these kind of problems. Uninstall it and then go to M$
update and re-download. They have fixed it recently.

thlink.net...

Old June 29th 03, 05:02 PM
Cleveland Turner

Problem Solved!!!!

Unfortunately, I am not certain which change corrected the problem. I
was following a systematic approach where I made one change and then
checked the system. I grew tired and made several changes and one of
them fixed the problem.

I am certain it was not a cmos change that fixed it.
Among other things, I uninstalled the 811493 update, updated Nvidia
video driver to the non xp certified compatibility driver. Now the
system is running as expected.

Thanks for the help everyone. I would not have tried a few things
without your ideas.

WinXP Install Problem? BobK General 3 June 2nd 04 10:10 PM
Installing WinXP problem? BobK General 1 June 2nd 04 02:23 AM
Installing WinXP problem? BobK General 11 May 28th 04 02:45 AM
This problem has baffled everyone... Nick G General 46 May 22nd 04 04:01 AM
Troubleshooting Internet Problem Taishi General 1 October 26th 03 01:59 AM