auto update

Old August 16th 04, 02:17 AM
p.mc

Default auto update

Hi
Win xp home

Soundblaster live5.1

I downloaded the auto update thingy on the creative site and was informed
that it couldn't find anything on my system relating to their product. So I
went into the creative folder on my pc, and a log file informed me that it
couldn't find a card and to check that it was seated correctly, so I took it
out reseated it, but the thing is I have always had sound from the pc and I
dont have any other sound card so what does this all mean, surely if the
card wasn't connected properly then there would be no sound at all??

Also the card came pre installed by the manufacturer (OEM) wether this has
eny bearing on the matter??

--
Regards
p.mc

For personal replies please leave or type signature
"p.mc" In the body of the message otherwise
posts will not be received.
Thanks

Old August 16th 04, 11:05 AM
Lenny

I've noticed in the Audigy2 section, some of the downloads will say they
can
or can't be used with a Dell. So being a OEM coiuld be the problem. You

have
a Creative chip but it may not be a Creative card.

Dell is probably the most bothersome manufacturer ever, making other
suppliers create special versions of their cards that typically look
IDENTICAL to all other OEM or retail cards so you can't spot the difference,
except they won't work with standard drivers. This means you're locked to
whatever driver update Dell can be arsed to release (which they typically do
like, once or twice during a computer's lifetime and then you're screwed).

Old August 16th 04, 03:47 PM
T Shadow

"Lenny" wrote in message
I've noticed in the Audigy2 section, some of the downloads will say they

can
or can't be used with a Dell. So being a OEM coiuld be the problem. You

have
a Creative chip but it may not be a Creative card.

Dell is probably the most bothersome manufacturer ever, making other
suppliers create special versions of their cards that typically look
IDENTICAL to all other OEM or retail cards so you can't spot the

difference,
except they won't work with standard drivers. This means you're locked to
whatever driver update Dell can be arsed to release (which they typically

do
like, once or twice during a computer's lifetime and then you're screwed).

It can happen with any OEM card. My first experience was when I bought a
"Yamaha" sound card for cheap at a computer show. The card would work for
10seconds and quit until the drivers were reinstalled. Couldn't find any
replacement drivers or even identify the card. Ended up putting it in the
sh*t can. Cost $10 to discover the difference between chip and card.