Setting up my first fabric

Old June 11th 04, 12:27 PM
Steve Christall

Default Setting up my first fabric

Hi all.

I am currently setting up my first fabric. I want to add my existing simple
fibre SAN setup to it. I just need a little bit of clarification / sanity
check on what I am doing.

Currently I have a simple point-to-point setup with a LSILogic Disk array
with 2x controllers with 2x fibre connectors each. This is directly
connected to two servers. Each server has 2xHBA's and hence each server is
directly connected to both controllers. I am running Veritas cluster on the
servers, with multipathing enabled.

I have now purchased 2x Mcdata 4500 switches, and I want to add another two
servers to the mix. I have setup my switches with different DomianID's,
plugged them together; they can see each other and seem happy!

Questions

Can I simply take down the mounted disks on my two existing servers, route
all of the connections through my 2 switches (=fabric?) and bring the disks
back up? I think this should work! Are there any obvious traps for young
players that I should be aware of? I would also appreciate any links to
good resouces

Thanks a lot
Steve