plug in USB drive = reboot

Old December 23rd 17, 04:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default plug in USB drive = reboot

I transferred a Gigglebite H61 mainboard to an old Antec Lanboy case.
All was fine until I plugged a thumb drive into front panel - PC
rebooted! I guess the 5V line was shorted out.
Now the the front panel cable in the Lanboy is marked, and the
wiring agrees with the mainboard F_USB1 pins.
I tried the thumb drive in another PC and it works there.
I got a USB2 rear slot bracket and plugged that into the mainboard,
USB devices work on that.
I shone a light on the front panel sockets and no bent fingers in there.
Old December 23rd 17, 06:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Fri, 22 Dec 2017 19:34:33 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I transferred a Gigglebite H61 mainboard to an old Antec Lanboy case.
All was fine until I plugged a thumb drive into front panel - PC
rebooted! I guess the 5V line was shorted out.
Now the the front panel cable in the Lanboy is marked, and the
wiring agrees with the mainboard F_USB1 pins.
I tried the thumb drive in another PC and it works there.
I got a USB2 rear slot bracket and plugged that into the mainboard,
USB devices work on that.
I shone a light on the front panel sockets and no bent fingers in there.

Alright. That's one loveable case if it's the same as my own old "all
aluminum" Lanboy Beercan. But I also like the idea of the smallest
case in the world for a standard PS and MB:- Something short of a rack
network box, with a little extra consumer appeal, as a go-between for
a couple other computers.

As you can see, time to break out the multimeter. Here's mine, a
$20US imported KEJIE, strategically situated on Chinese workbenches
virtually everywhe
https://github.com/emsec/SCATools/wiki/BuildEMProbe
Dedicated continuity circuit, the triangle figure, adjacent to Hold
Display function, eleven o'clock, sharp;... even does lawnmower or
motorcycle RPM and diodes.

If all else fails, then it's into my specially reinforced cardboard
box, sized appropriately for all kinds of crap I cannibalize for an
over-the-shoulder toss into. Definitely have some removed front case
logic relays, I've made do, last with a bad reset. USB of course is
going to be a candidate, especially, what with the oddball USB
hairdo-dryer, a liberal assortment of sized devices, forcefully
stuffed together onto standard front dual ports.
Old December 23rd 17, 09:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

wrote:
I transferred a Gigglebite H61 mainboard to an old Antec Lanboy case.
All was fine until I plugged a thumb drive into front panel - PC
rebooted! I guess the 5V line was shorted out.
Now the the front panel cable in the Lanboy is marked, and the
wiring agrees with the mainboard F_USB1 pins.
I tried the thumb drive in another PC and it works there.
I got a USB2 rear slot bracket and plugged that into the mainboard,
USB devices work on that.
I shone a light on the front panel sockets and no bent fingers in there.

To date, I've encountered wiring errors on two
different models of Antec cases (these are from years ago).

My recommendation on an Antec, is to either buzz out
the front panel wiring before you use it, or just
rip out the entire harness so you won't be tempted
to use it.

When I checked these wiring errors, *none* of the wiring
errors involved VCC and GND pins. It always seemed to involve
data pins. (I think I found an error on the Firewire wiring too.)
And I don't think these errors are random either.
They're not "people errors". They're engineering errors,
so every cable assembly is the same off the production line.

Some motherboards will have the header pinout in the
user manual. Using that, and using a needle point probe
set on your multimeter, verify the pins on the front of
the case, go to the correct places on the 2x5 of the USB2.

*******

Another possibility is inrush current. Say the motherboard
has a 100uF cap near the header. The device has up to a 10uF
cap inside for power filtering. The 100uF provides charging
current for the 10uF inrush and helps hold up the line.
(Caps cost money, and it's unlikely a USB key has a 10uF
inside. The caps on a USB stick are more likely to be puny
and 1uF.)

Figure 5 on page 9 here, shows what happens when a USB
peripheral is plugged in and it's bypass capacitor draws
charging current. The graph they should have showed, is
what happens to the +5VSB line voltage level in response.

https://web.archive.org/web/20060626...therboards.pdf

The manufacturer cannot place larger and larger caps
on the +5VSB motherboard distribution. A reasonable limit
might be 5000uF total per rail, to maintain loop stability
on the ATX switching supply. So while the dual headers
might have 100uF or 200uF on them, you can't go around
beefing this up by buying caps at the store and soldering
a 4700uF cap to the header on your own. There is a limit
to total capacitance. The secret to stopping this, is
for the peripherals to not be using large caps. To be
compliant, they have a capacitance limit to, and if they
stick with that limit, these dips in voltage won't happen.

It's also possible to have "induced" reset issues, but
that's unlikely to be the case. We had a product at work,
where the reset signal was run for two or three feet inside
the case, and ran to a reset button. If a little static
discharge went into the chassis, the RESET wire worked
line an antenna, and "received" the signal into the wire.
This causes the PC to reset. The reset button and
the USB header cables aren't likely to be in close
proximity, but if your problem is reproducible, try
unplugging the reset button twisted pair from the
motherboard, so that the reset cable to the front
panel RESET button, cannot provide an antenna action,
then retest front panel USB insertion. It's when the
problem is intermittent, that it'll take forever to
figure out.

Paul
Old December 24th 17, 04:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Saturday, December 23, 2017 at 4:24:24 PM UTC+8, Paul wrote:
different models of Antec cases (these are from years ago).

My recommendation on an Antec, is to either buzz out
the front panel wiring before you use it, or just
rip out the entire harness so you won't be tempted
to use it.

I just wrapped some gaffer tape over the end of the front panel plug so I
don't try it again one day.
BTW I have another Lanboy case that works fine...
Old December 24th 17, 01:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 23/12/2017 8:35 PM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

You need a multimeter to check for shorting. Remember to power off the
computer and unplug the AC plug first.

And if it's a notebook or laptop, detach the battery!

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3